Happy Birthday To The 50th State ~ Are You Making a Luau 8/21/18?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I probably hate spam or get sick from eating it, but I so want to try it... A trip to Hawaii just to eat spam?

I probably hate spam or get sick from eating it, but I so want to try it... A trip to Hawaii just to eat spam?

It is actually really good with eggs. It is a lot like ham. Buy a can, if you can get it locally. I would recommend you have it for breakfast, with some eggs and potatoes, as you would with bacon or ham. People make all kinds of things with it, but the best way to try it is with any breakfast that you would have with bacon or sausage.

Slice it or dice it, and cook it in a skillet, no oil or butter needed. Get a good browning on it. Slice it about 1/4 inch, or no more than 10mm thick. Put it in a hot pan, and let it brown. It is not much different than cooking bacon or sausage. Cook and watch, until it has a nice browning.

Consider it a new cooking and eating adventure.

CD

Spam cost about 6 or 8 dollar here, well first I need to take a train trip that will cost me about 50 dollar to get to the store that selling it.

Yes, spam is a specialty item in Sweden.

Casey, I do Spam Breakfast Burritos often ;)

BT, was it the original or the re-boot? Ya gotta love Jack Lord!

The new series on CBS. It's actually pretty good, but then I'd enjoy a lot of shows that were set in such a beautiful and interesting place.

Probably the new, reboot version. He calls Pork Roll taylor ham. He's not quite right in the head.

CD :D

And this, from a guy who thinks Walker, Texas Ranger was a documentary series...

I picked a bunch of chocolate cherry tomatoes and tomatillos from the garden yesterday, so I made a version of a Rick Bayless dish. I thawed some tomato-jalapeño salsa, tossed diced chicken with Penzeys Southwest Seasoning, steamed potatoes in the microwave with more Southwest Seasoning, chopped the tomatillos and some bits of bell peppers from the fridge, and sliced an onion. Sautéed the chicken, then the onion, then added the salsa and the veggies and let it simmer. Served the potatoes on the side with sour cream and lime. Tasty. 0821181917a.jpg0821181942a.jpg0821182031a.jpg0821182036a.jpg

Spam cost about 6 or 8 dollar here, well first I need to take a train trip that will cost me about 50 dollar to get to the store that selling it.

Yes, spam is a specialty item in Sweden.

Just curious CakePoet, do you have access to Amazon there in Sweden?
I order loads of stuff that I can't get here in the middle of the desert
from them, and most of the time the s&h is free...

It is actually really good with eggs. It is a lot like ham. Buy a can, if you can get it locally. I would recommend you have it for breakfast, with some eggs and potatoes, as you would with bacon or ham. People make all kinds of things with it, but the best way to try it is with any breakfast that you would have with bacon or sausage.

Slice it or dice it, and cook it in a skillet, no oil or butter needed. Get a good browning on it. Slice it about 1/4 inch, or no more than 10mm thick. Put it in a hot pan, and let it brown. It is not much different than cooking bacon or sausage. Cook and watch, until it has a nice browning.

Consider it a new cooking and eating adventure.

CD

Now, once you've browned your Spam nice and crisp, pour some Teriyaki Sauce (I make a simple one in the pan once the Spam is done) over it and make up some Spam Musubi!!

spam-musubi-001.jpg

spam-musubi-007.jpg

spam-musubi-018.jpg

Ah, there ya go!
(btw, I cut my hunk-o-Spam into six equal slices, not sure of the dimensions)

The new series on CBS. It's actually pretty good, but then I'd enjoy a lot of shows that were set in such a beautiful and interesting place.

And this, from a guy who thinks Walker, Texas Ranger was a documentary series...

You couldn't pay me to watch that show. :sick:

CD

:LOL:
Gotta love that Japanese stuff, and Ross, here in Cowboyville,
they use the same terminology :ermm::rolleyes::ohmy::ROFLMAO:

I think a person's first SPAM experience should be pure.. no sauces. :cool:

Then, get creative, like SPAM and cheese sliders, or SPAM and shrimp surf-n-turf skewers.

CD

Attachments

• Spam2-002.jpg
    Spam2-002.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 102
  • SpamOnGrill.jpg
    SpamOnGrill.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 102
I think a person's first SPAM experience should be pure.. no sauces. :cool:

Then, get creative, like SPAM and cheese sliders, or SPAM and shrimp surf-n-turf skewers.

CD

Very true Casey.
DH said to "...just fry it crisp, serve it to them with scrambled eggs and steamed white rice, you're good man!"
This from a guy who's from PA who NEVER before had any of the stuff I give him :LOL:
NOW, I'm not sure which he would eat, given the choice, rice or pasta?
DH: Well, it depends on what you're having with it
:ROFLMAO:
NO, he's not a foodie ;)

CakePoet, I am tempted to send you a few tins... but then I think about the paperwork involved. I'd have to fill out all kinds of forms, and I have no idea whether I can actually send canned meat to you in Sweden.

SPAM is worth trying, just to say you did it. If you do get your hands on some, go simple, like a few of us have suggested. You really do want to cook it like sausage, where you get a nice, brown crust on the outside, while maintaining a moist, tender inside.

CD

If it's as difficult as trying to import cured meat from Scandinavia, forget it.

I used to be able to get a cured reindeer leg from Norway for Christmas, replete with carving stand, but no longer.

I'm not sure if the law changed, or the suppliers changed, or what.

If it's as difficult as trying to import cured meat from Scandinavia, forget it.

I used to be able to get a cured reindeer leg from Norway for Christmas, replete with carving stand, but no longer.

I'm not sure if the law changed, or the suppliers changed, or what.

Rudolph Ham? :blink:

CD :D

Back
Top Bottom