Happy Mardi Gras! 3/5/19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Yay! I get to start the daily menu thread!

Chicken and andouille sausage for dinner tonight, of course! And maybe, just maybe, beignets for dessert.

I'm planning to make a "potted" London broil with a creamy onion and mushroom Au jus gravy, buttered pappardelle and steamed broccoli.

SO wanted to make her family recipe for golobkis. She's on her own with that recipe so I took it as an opportunity to make a recipe of lasagna, which she dislikes. So it's individual medley tonight with both of us getting special treats.

With no real forethought, I ended up scheduling pancakes for "Pancake Day". Just dumb Polish luck, since I am neither British nor am I making their thin pancakes. Instead, it's Breakfast for Supper with fluffy pancakes, ham, and eggs.

Today is also Paczki Day. Pancakes are easier to make than old style Polish Paczki, which is the version I grew up eating. My Nana made paczki that included mashed potatoes and potato water. They felt heavy to pick up, but were tender and rich. The modern paczki now sold everywhere is basically a richer jelly donut batter. Still yummy, but they don't taste like my memory. :heart:

Laissez les bon temps rouler! Crawfish season will shortly be upon us!

I'm planning to make a "potted" London broil with a creamy onion and mushroom Au jus gravy, buttered pappardelle and steamed broccoli.

Change of plans. I had leftover steak. Family had cheese, meat, fruit, bread and crackers.

Up here in Northern New England I guess I'm not into Fat Tuesday. Way too cold to go parading in the streets. Dinner tonight was a cashew chicken stir fry.

I vaguely remember paczkis in my younger years, which I think was pronounced something like punchkis. A friend's mother, who lived in Hamtramck, used to make them.

Sauteed and braised chicken, fennel, onions, garlic and rosemary, with mashies and broccoli.

Attachments

• 2019-03-05 19.03.28.jpg
    2019-03-05 19.03.28.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 115
We got some artisanal frozen, Chinese, chicken dumplings in our grocery order today, so I cooked them for supper. I made a salad that included purple carrots, spring garlic, and endives (plus other stuff). By the time I made the vinaigrette and the salad, I was exhausted, in spite of taking rest breaks. DH made some dipping sauce using tamari soy sauce, white wine vinegar, and a splash of chili oil. It was interesting. I said to try adding a bit of the sherry that we keep ginger in. Oh yeah, that was exactly what it needed. I'll have to remember that combo. DH also nuked some cooked brown rice and frozen corn and added some sesame seeds. That meal was really good. I will use a different method for cooking the dumplings another time.

Smoked Sausage with Red Beans and Rice here. A modest glass of Bourbon on the rocks to fully experience Fat Tuesday (without the Ash Wednesday hangover).

CD

Here it is: chicken and andouille gumbo with saffron rice and roasted garlic toast. Alas, I didn’t get around to making beignets.

97E5138A-C7D0-4DE2-BC7A-6EA672B9CD4C.jpg

I’m so glad I made a whole cup of blonde roux the other night! I used about a half cup to make the roux for the gumbo. It took forever on the induction stove to get it to a good color. Even though it never got really dark, I finally lost patience. And sure enough, it didn’t thicken enough, BUT I had some roux on hand to thicken it a bit more toward the end of cooking! Genius!

The roasted garlic toast may look a little unappetizing, but it was absolutely delicious.

I’m starting to think I don’t like saffron very much, at least in things that don’t really have any other flavor, like rice.

Up here in Northern New England I guess I'm not into Fat Tuesday. Way too cold to go parading in the streets. Dinner tonight was a cashew chicken stir fry.

I vaguely remember paczkis in my younger years, which I think was pronounced something like punchkis. A friend's mother, who lived in Hamtramck, used to make them.

Not being Catholic, I never gave Lent a second thought. So I have never made a special dish for this celebration. What I do remember is all the Italian kids came to school with ashes on their forehead the day before Lent started. Then you would hear all the grumbling about not having meat on Friday. At that time, meatless Friday was still practiced in this town. And there are still some OLD Italians who practice it. They also attend Mass that is still done in Latin.

I never got into learning about Lent and all the practices that go with it.

Last Night's Air-Fried Crab Cakes on a blanket of Pepper & Relish Aioli,

Steamed Asparagus, Jasmine Rice...

Salad of Olives, Sweet Pepper and Jalapeno's under Robusto Italian Dressing...

IMG_7421.jpg

Crab Cakes, Jasmine Rice.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom