Happy Valentine's Day Dinner 2/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Littlechef

Senior Cook
Good morning everyone and Happy Valentine's Day :chef:

Hate going out to dinner on VD. I prefer to cook a nice meal for the one's I love. So dinner tonight will be shrimp scampi over linguine, garlic bread, and steamed green beans tossed with butter. For dessert we'll have chocolate lava cakes.

If the rain stops we will be going for a day trip and having dinner in a quaint little family restaurant in the Fraser Valley area (2 hours away). I will pack a gourmet picnic lunch as well to have by our favourite lake.

If it keeps raining I have an albacore tuna loin (sashimi grade) in the freezer and will have fun with that! :chef: We will have our picnic here at home!

I have duck breasts to do up. I will add potatoes au gratin and a salad.

I have chewy brownies for dessert.

we were supposed to either make lobsters at home, or go out to eat.
but dw just changed her mind and just wants take out. i was really looking forward to lobsters, but oh well.

now i'm hoping for thai.

i have to go pick up an edible arrangement thing first for dw since she said she doesn't want flowers or chocolate. and i have to stop by the pet store for a gift for our cat. it's his 3rd birthday today. happy birthday, mush.

Last edited:
I have plans to make Couquilles St Jacques with a nice salad and some bread. I moved heaven and earth to get the scallops (tough in a small town), laid in the cream, scallions and white wine, but now have a schedule conflict and may not have time to get it cooked in time for a reasonable dinner hour. Fingers crossed....

The kids really like stroganoff, so that's what's for dinner tonight. My husband and I went out on Saturday, so this is about the kids. I fixed the fancy Valentine's dinner on Sunday - chicken breasts stuffed with tarragon/lemon cream cheese and served with a bacon and tarragon cream sauce.

Happy Birthday to Bucky T's Cat!!!!! :)

We kind of missed the time window for going out to the Valley so now it is a "picnic lunch" at home, and dinner out.....somewhere! :)

thanks lp. i will pass it along.

i picked up the edible arrangement and it was completely wrong. since dw didn't want chocolate, i ordered a large basket of all fruit, none dipped, and then added a half dozen dipped apple slices.
they gave me a small basket with almost everything dipped in chocolate, explaining that they ran out of the non-dipped fruit, so they subbed more expensive dipped strawberries in a smaller basket.

when i complained, the manager gave me 12 more chocolate dipped strawberries to make up for it.

i don't think he listened TO A FREAKIN' WORD I SAID. NO CHOCOLATE EXCEPT THE APPLES.

well, i won't be a customer if theirs anymore.

so i raced out and got dw a silver keychain locket, a single rose, and a pair of silver and pewter earrings.

i guess i'll be eating a lot of chocolate covered stuff, and have to give up something else for lent. edible arrangements will be getting a nasty email tomorrow.

Last edited:
Married for 33 yrs and we agreed way back no expensive gifts,
We would rather just have a regular day of showing that we appreciate each other.
But maybe a special dessert for supper.
My favorite bannana split bar. assorted ice cream, toppings, candies. bannana and other fruit and whip cream and asst nuts.

Pan seared scallops, lima beans (?? I know, but DH loves 'em), and a gorgeous apple triple dipped in caramel, chocolate, sprinkles, drizzles, etc. that the local Humane Society sells as a fundraiser this time of year.

image-2539640469.jpg

Last edited:
i guess i'll be eating a lot of chocolate covered stuff, and have to give up something else for lent. edible arrangements will be getting a nasty email tomorrow.

I am confident that you can get rid of all that chocolate before the 22nd. I mean hey...that's a whole week right? I could do a LOT of damage in a week.

Dinner tonight is take out chinese. Big treat for me. I'm going to make brown sugar shortbread in my new pan for dessert. Treat for Ken.

I know lots of people complain about how commercial the day is blah blah blah. We've never really celebrated bunches because of its proximity to my birthday, but we've always made a point of telling one another how much we love each other. Its especially poignant this year when we've heard of so many marriages struggling and falling apart. To all of you in relationships, congratulations! Its sometimes a tough slog, but worth it all IMO. Hug your honey and remind them how special they are today.

Sending lots of love out to all my friends and family here at DC. Love you all so much! :wub::wub::wub:

DH is teaching tonight so I'm home with the yungun. We had Mexican with tacos and nachos. We don't do much for Valentine's either. It was fun at school to see all these girls walking around with roses, teddy bears, and balloons! It's amazing anyone got a thing accomplished today!

Happy Birthday Mush!!!

It may not sound very romantic, but I had to work with what we had in the freezer, so I am making a big pot of beef stew. We both love it, so it will be perfect. Dessert is Cherry Jello (I told :wub:James:wub: to get whatever "red" flavor he wanted) with strawberries and blueberries in it.

It isn't quite ready, so we will be eating late, but what else is new?! :cool:

I am confident that you can get rid of all that chocolate before the 22nd. I mean hey...that's a whole week right? I could do a LOT of damage in a week.

Dinner tonight is take out chinese. Big treat for me. I'm going to make brown sugar shortbread in my new pan for dessert. Treat for Ken.

I know lots of people complain about how commercial the day is blah blah blah. We've never really celebrated bunches because of its proximity to my birthday, but we've always made a point of telling one another how much we love each other. Its especially poignant this year when we've heard of so many marriages struggling and falling apart. To all of you in relationships, congratulations! Its sometimes a tough slog, but worth it all IMO. Hug your honey and remind them how special they are today.

Sending lots of love out to all my friends and family here at DC. Love you all so much! :wub::wub::wub:

Amen, Alix.

I was blessed to have 32 years with one of my most loving Valentines, Buck. But, then, he died and I had to go on.

Then.....there's Glenn. What a sweetheart! And I mean that in the most wonderful sense.

Our dinner? Whooooooo.....

Began with a light cocktail.
Then, shrimp appetizer followed by a mixed salad of artichokes, feta-stuffed olives, tomatoes, shredded hard cheese and "our" house dressing.

Main part of the meal included baked potatoes as each desired, steamed fresh asparagus with butter sauce, grilled ribeye steaks. Iced tea to drink. Too full for dessert.

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!!

We don't much like going out on Valentines Day, since it usually means crowds and crappy service. I made steak Diane. I followed the instructions in the video here: How to make the sauce for steak Diane - Channel4 - 4Food. I cut DH's steak (filet mignon) in half. He likes his well done. I like mine rare or medium rare. I would rather have blue than well done or even medium. That worked really well. They cooked in about the same amount of time to our preferred levels of doneness. I think DH's may only have been medium. He said that it was less cooked than he usually likes, but it seemed perfect for this piece of meat and was definitely not undercooked.

I was kind of underwhelmed with the sauce. I think the mushrooms were the wrong kind. I used dried wild mushrooms and they sort of overwhelmed everything. It was a pretty good sauce, but nothing to write home about. I have had better luck with steak au poivre.

We had some double cream brie as an appetizer. Oh my, that cheese is fabulous. :chef: I could probably eat enough of that to explode. :ohmy: :pig:

Back
Top Bottom