Happy Valentine's Day! Whatcha cooking for your sweetheart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macgyver1968

Senior Cook
I think I'm going to slow smoke a pork loin today, since the weather has finally cleared and it's not so cold.

..and for those of us that are single: Happy Loneliness day! :)

What's broccoletta?

I'm going to do something heart shaped. Maybe. I have cute heart shaped cake pans so I'll maybe do something with those. I'll also do something with shrimp tonight as we have a ton of it. Bisque? Alfredo? Stir fry? TBD later.

broccoletta is similar to broccolini, but it is a hybrid with a different veg. I'm heading to work, can't research it now.

Something with shrimp. I haven't quite gotten there, yet. It is snowing. I am planning on baking some Red Velvet Cupcakes, but first I better snow blow the driveway, bring The Girls some more water and feed the woodstove.

Pizza and beer! I have a ball of dough in the freezer, cheese and pepperoni. I'll whip up a batch of sauce later and away we go!

Nothing that I know of:).

He is taking me out to dinner and dancing:wub:.

Here's were we are going.

Old Martina's Hall - a Ranchos de Taos, New Mexico Landmark Restaurant, Dance Hall & Beer Garden

I am soooo close to having a proper kitchen. I can't wait to be reporting what meals I/we are preparing. He cooks too.

What a great place Beth! I read all about it and I'll be thinking of you two..:wub: dancing the night away.

We went out to dinner last night to avoid the crowds so tonight I cook.
I don't know yet what's the main event, but I might bite the bullet (hate to bake) and make a cake. I'm looking hard at Katie's chocolate cake that was posted at the favorite recipe thread. It looks easy enough so that's a plus. Maybe whipped cream and strawberries on top would be good. A beautiful bouquet of tulips were delivered this morning, so it only seems fair.:heart:

I'm making stuffed cabbage. Haven't made it for years, but we love it and I love us, so stuffed cabbage it is! My Mom always used tomato soup, so that's how I used to make it. Meh, too sweet. His Mom always used tomato juice. Also Meh, too thin of "gravy". I'm going to use tomato puree. Wish me luck! :LOL:

We'll put the rolls on top of a mountain of mashed potatoes. I'll make salad, mostly to use up some greens and tomatoes before I grocery shop tomorrow.

Any chance we could get a Mod to add today's date to the thread title and move this along to "Today's Menu", please and thank you? I almost started a second thread...*slinks away...""

When you say stuffed cabbage do you mean like holupchi/cabbage rolls? OM NOM NOM!!! I haven't had any good ones in ages. Mom used the soured cabbage leaves and a mixture of barley, buckwheat and rice to fill them. She used a big can of crushed tomatoes on top. Totally delicious. *sigh* I wish my family liked them.

Still deciding on the dinner thing. Shrimp stir fry is looking promising if I get my butt off the couch and out to buy some produce!

I won't be cooking anything on account of I am banned from most physical activity. I am also not eating very much. But we had dinner out just before I went in the hospital as a sort of pre-Valentines celebration so that is good.

I spelunked from the freezer what I finally figured out to be chunks from a whole ribeye I cut up a while ago. Will probably brown them with some onions, mushrooms, and baby carrots.

Hmm. We're out of red wine, and I would really like beef bourgignon. And it's really cold out. Tomorrow.

So it's spelunked shrimp burgers!

Last edited:
I was going to make Roch's chicken cacciatore, but I couldn't fine the chicken in the freezer. I don't cook chicken often. I think I figured it out. We had it for Thanksgiving. :rolleyes: It had been in the freezer for so long that it was still in my brain as being in the freezer, Stirling's brain too. :LOL: I better put chicken on the shopping list.

So, I will make http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/harrys-spicy-pork-ball-rendang-81320.html#post1179271, but with ground beef. Stirling had pork yesterday and isn't in the mood for more pork today.

I'll probably make a cold, berry soufflé for dessert. I know I have the berries, 'cause I saw them when I was looking for the chicken, and I know I have enough whipping cream (I bought more yesterday), but do I have enough gelatin?

When you say stuffed cabbage do you mean like holupchi/cabbage rolls? OM NOM NOM!!! I haven't had any good ones in ages. Mom used the soured cabbage leaves and a mixture of barley, buckwheat and rice to fill them. She used a big can of crushed tomatoes on top. Totally delicious. *sigh* I wish my family liked them....
Yes Alix, Polish Gołąbki. Although my Slovak husband insists on calling them "Halupki". :huh: Hmm, that might be the reason I don't make them very often. Anyway, my version is not vegetarian. Rather, I use ground beef. But you're still welcome to stop by and have some! As my Mom would say, I'll put on an extra potato!

What's for dinner today, Valentine's Day, Feb. 14, 2014?

I can't believe there's no "what's for dinner" topic for today, if I goofed, please merge.

I got some nice sort ribs of beef yesterday and decided to do them the way I used to, in my crock pot, but didn't want to fire up the crock for just 3 (humongous) sort ribs, so I'm cooking them in a similar method but in a suitably sized covered pot on top of my stove.

Brown all sides of the ribs in oil, then throw in some chopped brown onions and a whole bunch of barbecue sauce. Cook it until done, then eat it! I have some Mahatma red beans and rice from yesterday, and some asparagus also from yesterday.

I started at noon, intend to serve at 6, I'm monitoring the temperature (180F) and stirring it every hour or so. Does that seem about the right amount of cooking? 6 hours at 180F?

I think that should work, Greg. You could put it in a 325-degree oven to reduce the chance of it scorching.

Someone started a thread in Off Topic asking what you're serving for Valentine's Day. Hopefully a mod will merge it with this.

We're making pan-seared sirloin, twice-baked potatoes, and salad. We have ice cream for dessert.

Last edited:
I thought the one in OT was the typical holiday meal planning thread. Which really should have been in the special occassions forum or whatever it's called... beats me.

I'm going to make some roasted marrow bones for dinner tonight served on toasted French bread with a parsley/shallots/capers/lemon juice salad. Also a dish of mushrooms gratin.

Sweet potato fritters with cider-glazed carrots and fresh-baked bread. Oh, and a giant heart-shaped chocolate-chip cookie for dessert. I guess I should probably get started on that (all I've done is get the dough rising for the bread) :)

We had ribeye steaks, baked potatoes, and asparagus for our dinner tonight.

ForumRunner_20140214_184820.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom