Has it become Mealless Monday? Sept. 29/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
No one eating today? Or did I just miss the thread?

I am having spaghetti squash with some of the leftover putenesca sauce from last night. I have to skip the shaved parmesan and the Caesar salad though because I didn't react well. Instead I am having a kale salad with strawberries, pecans and red onion.

Not mealless here.

We had Cornish game hens cooked on the rotisserie. They were stuffed under the skin of the breast with fresh rosemary. I served a casserole of mixed rice with olive oil, along with buttered green peas as the green side. Iced tea to drink and we finished with the last of the fresh raspberry cake.

Last edited:
I just finished a dinner of a loin pork chop I brined and grilled. It was accompanied by baby spinach sautéed with mushrooms, shallots and garlic.

Last edited:
Had a great meal tonight. Had dinner with my mother, GF, and my two brothers out at the cabin. Thankful for the bounty of local food available.

We had mesclun mix w/ shredded roast duck, beetroot, heirloom tomato, garlic vinaigrette.

My contribution was rack of lamb, one I picked up from a Charlevoix trip that I marinated with my brother's garlic and Greek oregano. Stuffed Spanish onions with a dressing of fresh bread crumbs, local wild mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and too much butter. Small potatoes, that we got from an old family friend, fried in a pie pan w/ some of the duck fat and rosemary.

Finished it off with apple crisp, and vanilla ice cream.

Never did get any photos. My phone was in my pants. Long story.....

Last edited:
Leftover roast chicken, garlic mashed potatoes and gravy tonight. And scrounged-from-the-garden salad...kale, chard, mustard greens, cherry tomatoes, perpetual spinach, carrots, broccoli and red cabbage.

I got a few ground cherries before they froze. I've never tried them before....interesting flavor. Making a gr. cherry clafouti for dessert. We'll see how that goes...

Had a great meal tonight. Had dinner with my mother, GF, and my two brothers out at the cabin. Thankful for the bounty of local food available.

We had mesclun mix w/ shredded roast duck, beetroot, heirloom tomato, garlic vinaigrette.

My contribution was rack of lamb, one I picked up from the Charlevoix trip that I marinated with my brother's garlic and Greek oregano. Stuffed Spanish onions with a dressing of fresh bread crumbs, local wild mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and too much butter. Small potatoes, that we got from an old family friend, grilled in a pie pan w/ some of the duck fat and rosemary.

i've never had a stuffed onion. how do you make them?

also, why weren't you wearing pants? :ermm:

Not a whole lot of meat but bacon in potato/leek soup from the freezer with fresh homemade pretzel breadsticks, and peach cobbler and ice cream for dessert.

Last edited:
i've never had a stuffed onion. how do you make them?

also, why weren't you wearing pants? :ermm:
My mother gave me a huge onion she bought at a local farm last week. I cut the ends off, the cut it in half. Took the insides out so I had two large onion bowls. Filled it with the dressing then drowned it in olive oil, wrapped it in foil, and set it in the back of his charcoal grill to bake. After it became soft, I unwrapped it and pulled it over the heat to brown/char up. Quartered them and served on the platter of goodies.

The pants? Well, the weather has been all over the place lately so I over dressed. It turned out to be a hot day so my bro lent me some shorts...I spent the afternoon in a baggy and unflattering pair of bright red jogging shorts...

thanks, sounds really good.

a buddy of mine makes a sweet onion that he somehow cores, or rather cuts a divot into it , then fills it with butter and poultry seasoning. i'm gonna try your recipe, or at least pass yours on to him. it's great campfire food too since it can be cooked in aluminum foil in the coals.

and so long as your cippolines weren't showing, i'm sure no one cared.

thanks, sounds really good.

a buddy of mine makes a sweet onion that he somehow cores, or rather cuts a divot into it , then fills it with butter and poultry seasoning. i'm gonna try your recipe, or at least pass yours on to him. it's great campfire food too since it can be cooked in aluminum foil in the coals.

and so long as your cippolines weren't showing, i'm sure no one cared.
It was GF and family. Nothing anybody hasn't seen before. :LOL:

My contribution was rack of lamb, one I picked up from a Charlevoix trip that I marinated with my brother's garlic and Greek oregano. Stuffed Spanish onions with a dressing of fresh bread crumbs, local wild mushrooms, shallots, garlic, and too much butter. Small potatoes, that we got from an old family friend, fried in a pie pan w/ some of the duck fat and rosemary.

Dinner post of the day. :yum: Loved it, and your story, rocklobster! :)

I had leftovers from dinner with my daughter last night, and it was even better the second time. :yum: Braised short ribs and mashed Yukon golds. I cut the leftover beef off the bones, simmered it in the already reduced sauce from yesterday, and poured everything over the leftover mashed 'taters. Salad on the side.

I saved the leftover bones from the short ribs and foodsaver'ed them for future stock and gravy. Hopefully I'll get some more of my $$ worth that way, considering the cost of beef short ribs. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Sounds awesome Roch! I have had stuffed onions - very tasty!
Yes. I was quite surprised. I have never tried them. I told everybody that I wouldn't be offended if they left some of the onion because it seemed like a lot. I cut them up in smaller portions and there wasn't a bit left on anybody's plate. They got very soft and sweet. Will do it again.

Dinners tonight all sound delicious!

I did a chicken noodle soup as I just needed some "Fall" comfort food before another heat wave hits later in the week, and it's out the question.

During Monday Night Football season, Monday dinners are fairly simple. Today was about as complicated as it gets - Cajun seasoned meat loaf, baked sweet potato, Great Value frozen corn from Walmart. Oh yeah - we started it with some white zin left over from a dinner party last week.

Got some strawberry swirl ice cream for a dessert later.

(Off topic - we just two waves of wild thunderstorms blow through. I could have just about read a book just by the nonstop lightning flashes. Crazy weather for the end of September.)

Last edited:
I had leftovers from dinner with my daughter last night, and it was even better the second time. :yum: Braised short ribs and mashed Yukon golds. I cut the leftover beef off the bones, simmered it in the already reduced sauce from yesterday, and poured everything over the leftover mashed 'taters. Salad on the side.

I saved the leftover bones from the short ribs and foodsaver'ed them for future stock and gravy. Hopefully I'll get some more of my $$ worth that way, considering the cost of beef short ribs. :ohmy:

No kidding Cheryl..... the cost of beef short ribs these days is ridiculous. Like everything else, when the public got word of the flavor of those babies, the price went through the roof. My Dad could hardly give them away in the old days.
Sounds like you got some good bang for the buck though...;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom