Have You Ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StirBlue

Head Chef
Have you ever followed a menu in a fictional novel? I have come across a few food selections from novels. They are used as filler in a lot of cookbooks.

Who came first the cook or the writer?

I tried a chicken salad from a book one time. It was good but not to die for like the character's apparently was. The book was "Little Bitty Lies" and the main character's husband left her and she started a catering business by accident because of her great chicken salad. Good book, not so good recipe.

My father follows the recipes at the back of some of the books that he and I read. Some have been very so so but others are so delicious that people have actually asked for the recipes so that they can make them themselves.

Have you ever followed a menu in a fictional novel? I have come across a few food selections from novels. They are used as filler in a lot of cookbooks.

Who came first the cook or the writer?

I like mysteries that have recipes in it , like Diane Mott Davidson's but I haven't tried the reciopes yet.

Not actually tried any recipes, however when my grandfather was alive, he read Georgette Heyer and as a result he wanted to eat turbot which he had never tried. We therefore got him a turbot for Christmas one year.

He greatly enjoyed it.

I`m still trying to figure out the Pangalactic Gargle blaster!

(it`s the only reason I became a Scientist in the 1`st place ya know!)

I'm dating myself here :LOL: but I grew up reading Rex Stout's "Nero Wolfe", who was a gourmet detective who lived in a brownstone in NYC. He never (rarely) left his office and he had some of the best sounding food that I had ever read :-p and drooled over.

Quite a few years ago I was surprised to run across "The Nero Wolfe Cookbook"!!!

Amazon.com: The Nero Wolfe Cookbook: Books: Rex Stout

And it appears that I got a good deal through my book club for $9.99!!!

There is a series of books call the Mitford Series about an Episcopalian Priest, by Jan Karon, which I love. There is a "secret" recipe for a marmelade cake that one of the church ladies makes every year for their bake sale. In one of the books she falls and breaks her arm and her jaw and winds up in hospital. All the women try to get the recipe out of her with the intent of making it exact for the sale; however, different versions start popping up everywhere! Anyway DH bought me the "Mitford Cookbook" last year with all the character's favourite recipes and of course the first one I made was the marmalade cake - not bad for fiction!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom