Hey, Grandpaw.... what's fer supper? Thursday, March 29, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grilled smoky ham salad

When I had the grill fired up yesterday, and made a single chicken breast, ( My brain wasn’t firing on all cylinders, I should have made an extra), I did however, put on a fairly thick slice of ham. It’s pre – cooked kind, but I thought a little added smoke couldn’t hurt. I put two pieces of apple wood on the coals. Now today, I ground up the ham for ham salad.

Added in some fine diced celery, onion, jalapeno pepper and mayo. Left Most of the jalapeno seeds in, so it’s got a little kick. I used to bring sandwiches for lunch most every day. And sometimes I made sandwiches for supper too, lazy/ tired/. Not so much any more. Bread can go stale unless I split a loaf and freeze half of it. I made my sandwich between toasted mulit grain bread. I see 3 other kinds of bread in the freezer. And there’s enough ham spread for more tomorrow.

NOW REALLY. I like to look at recipes sometimes, although this didn’t require it. For Once, DC Search engine went into overdrive. Thanks to Frank Z: "First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.”

I think every post Frank’s ever made came up. And FYI, This is how my own Gram made Ham salad too. And my mom. When I was little I would be sent on my bike to the meat market for bologna. He just added the charge to our monthly bill. If it was for straight sandwiches, I was instructed to get it Sliced, and it had little red paper strings surrounding each uniform slice. If it was for “ham salad” , I got a one or 2 inch thick piece. Then it was ground in a meat grinder along with boiled eggs and what all was added. Served on Wonder bread at home and Home Made Bread at Gram’s. Mostly we got this more often, I’m sure it went further, and always had home made chow chow or pickle relish added. I used the same kind of hand meat grinder with the screw clamped to the kitchen table to make my own ham salad. I wish I had a package of Kool-aid to go along with my sandwiches. Ham salad --- it’s a hoot.

Last edited:
tonight's mess is french dip made from an eye of the round roast cooked med rare with homemade ah jus, romaine salad with sweet onion, avocado, grape tomatoes, now folks hang on to your hats we are having lima beans in butter with crumbled bacon, bisquick rolls with green onions.Made strawberry ice cream for dessert.
kades

Chili Con Carne w/ beans and mushrooms. Garlic bread and cheese.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
tonight's mess is french dip made from an eye of the round roast cooked med rare with homemade ah jus, romaine salad with sweet onion, avocado, grape tomatoes, now folks hang on to your hats we are having lima beans in butter with crumbled bacon, bisquick rolls with green onions.Made strawberry ice cream for dessert.
kades

Love lima beans...:pig:

We had home made hot dogs with some deer chili I pulled out of the freezer. Those two went together extremely well and was one of the best hot dog experiences I have ever had...

Lazy. Stressful week, so we're having grocery store egg rolls wrapped in lettuce leaves with a variety of dipping sauces.

Back
Top Bottom