How do you make Steak and Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i recently introcuced steak and eggs for breakfast to my son, and when dw tried it she was amazed at how good it was. i was surprised that she had never tried it before. she loved the way a runny yolk becomes a sauce for the steak, and the juxtaposition of textures from the whites and the meat.

i've ordered steak and eggs out in restaurants/diners before, but the steak is always so disappointing. usually a thin piece of fatty, overcooked shoe leather. how they get both is a mystery.

since that first time a few weeks ago, i've used leftover medallions of ny strips with sunny side up eggs, leftover thin slices of london broil topped with buttery over easy eggs, and leftover hunks of ribeyes with sunny side up eggs and bacon fat browned garlic drizzled over top.

i offered my boy a1 steak sauce, but he curled up his face when he tasted it like he ate a lemon. i have to pick up some hp sauce.

each was delicious in their different ways. i'm going to make it again this weekend, so i was wondering what was everyone's favourite way to make steak and eggs?
:yum:

Last edited:
This is one time I prefer striploin or sirloin. I don't care for a fattier steak with eggs, like rib eye. It may have something to do with the time of day it is typically eaten. Many moons ago I used to play every Saturday night and get home in the early morning hours and sleep in so, when I did wake up I had a Sunday lunch tradition of a 6 oz striploin, three eggs(sunny and runny), homefries, fresh tomatoes, juice, and a large Bloody Mary(or two). Then I would hit the couch for an afternoon of football on TV. Ahhh, the days before responsibilities.......

From my experience, most restaurants who offer it try and sell a cheaper, or smaller cut of meat with steak and eggs to keep the price down, otherwise it would be priced up there with steak dinner. Then, nobody would buy it.

Last edited:
Chicken Fried Steak and Eggs with sausage gravy and home fries. (I can hear my cardiologist screaming)

I use cubed steak for that.

Try pork chops and Eggs...

My "steak and eggs" is beef fajitas and two eggs over easy.

And a side of refried beans.

Oh, and a side of fried potato cubes.

And hot corn tortillas.

Bowl of salsa.

Fresh slices jalapenos.

Yep. I think that's all. Maybe chips to stave off starvation while waiting for it.

Best steak and eggs I had was on my honeymoon, a thousand or so years back. It was a filet mingon, grilled over flame, with a sunny-side up egg on top, whites cooked completely through, but with a runny yolk.

Were I to make it at home, it would be one of those steaks that comes from the chuck, is well marbled, and has a thin strip of gristle runs down the center. Some call it a petite steak. But it is one of the most tender, and flavorful cuts. Just cook medium rare over charcoal, and cut out the center gristle, and top with either an egg coddled in salty water, or poached in my poaching pan, nesteld in melted butter as it steams to perfection. Place that on top of the steak.

Of course, I certainly wouldn't turn down a bone-in ribey from the grill, with the same eggs. And though I love A1 sauce on a steak, not on steak and eggs. Oh, and a side of hash browns would be great too.:yum:

Seeeeeeya'; Chief Lonwind of the North

Yuuuum, one of my faves.

for me, at home, medium thick cut of rib-eye, cooked to MR, eggs go in the same pan and go over easy, then right on top of my steak. I use my 109year old cast iron almost exclusively for breakfast.

if I am out and about, I LOVE Silpancho/as. One of my favorite Bolivian dishes. It's just a thin, pounded out piece of steak, pan fried, topped with a dippy egg or two, fresh chopped tomato, onion, and jalapeno, and served over rice and fried potatoes.

bolivian-silpanchos-21316417.jpg

Chicken Fried Steak and Eggs with sausage gravy and home fries. (I can hear my cardiologist screaming)

Mmmm Mmmm I may have to go out for breakfast tomorrow.. get me some country-fried steak, home fries, biscuits and gravy. :pig: The local diner does a great breakfast menu.

My favorite is chuckeye cooked to medium rare with a little pepper in butter or bacon grease, eggs over-easy cooked in the same pan and then served on top of the steak with a little finely grated, extra sharp cheddar. On the side I like cubed potatoes fried with onions, celery and green pepper.

Another varient that I really like is to spread a little olive oil over the steak, then sprinkle with basil and oregano. Broil until medium rare. Scramble the eggs and in the egg mix add a little pepper, chives and asiago cheese. I also add any pan drippings from the broiled steaks. Once they are cooked just place the eggs over the steak and add a little extra cheese if you want. A fresh basil leaf makes a pretty garnish. Good along side cherry tomatoes halved and drizzeled with balsamic vinegar served over fresh steamed or sauteed spinach. If I sautee the spinach I add a little minced garlic to it while cooking and keep the oil to a minimum.

Mmmm Mmmm I may have to go out for breakfast tomorrow.. get me some country-fried steak, home fries, biscuits and gravy. :pig: The local diner does a great breakfast menu.

I've eaten chicken fried steak from coast to coast, I love it! But, I have to say, I make the best!:chef:

I don't understand how steak and eggs could be served with a prime cut. I've usually seen this served (at Norm's and Denny's) as top sirloin and eggs, and top sirloin is not anywhere on my tops list, a tough and inexpensive cut. This is a gritty meal (steak 'n eggs) and I expect it to be served with less prime cuts. My primary familiarity is from the days of my youth, after a night out drinking, and shoring up with lots of starch and protein to help stave off tomorrow's hangover. (I don't do that anymore.)

This is not one of my treasured recipes. I'd rather have huevos rancheros, or an egg, cheese and green chili pepper burrito, in spite of my being an average white guy in Los Angeles. Steak and eggs is a relic from my youth when I stayed out late hours. I don't covet it now..

Steak and eggs is a relic from my youth when I stayed out late hours.

That's the truth. Back in the 60's, the steak and eggs at one particular place was the standard breakfast for our bunch of night shift television news staff. We were addled with lack of sleep and fatigue poisons, and it made a substantial breakfast that would last until we woke up in late afternoon. As I recall, the steaks were thin ribeyes. Overdone, if I remember right.

yup, that's usually the case, glc. when ordering from a diner, the steaks are thin, overcooked, and overall crappy which ruins the dish.

that's why i started the thread. well, really the opposite. i hadn't ordered steak and eggs out in a very long time, but when i made it at home recently with good quality leftover steaks, the experience was sublime.

what did you do in tv news production?

I too have trouble broiling thinly sliced steaks that are seen at supermarkets today. If you're 20 seconds off in broiling time, the steak goes from med-rare to med. However, I would think thinly sliced steaks for steak and eggs would be ideal (not too big a meal).

the egg to steak ratio is important. that's why i've made it with medallions or sliced meats under the eggs.

cas, if you have a searing burner on a gas grill, or are able to get a cast iron pan screaming hot without setting off the smoke detectors, then you'll be able to cook a 1/4 inch steak properly medium rare or even rare. otherwise you're sol.

Back
Top Bottom