How Do You Perceive Hunger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aruzinsky

Washing Up
Okay, this may seem like a stupid question, but one should not assume that everyone perceives hunger in the same way. This is relevant to the issue of an individual's ability to maintain a low calorie diet. It is not a simple matter of willpower, but also perception.

I was about 30 years old when I discovered that I do not perceive hunger the same way most people do. When I get very hungry, my throat, not my stomach, hurts. I had heard the term "hunger pangs" and, until I was about 30, always thought that this referred to pains in the throat.

everything is only a perception of a reality, and even that is in constant flux because of the fourth dimension...

buckytom said:
everything is only a perception of a reality, and even that is in constant flux because of the fourth dimension...
Yes, but you didn't answer my question.

that's only your perception... lol.
this could get trippendicular...
only kidding whicha aruz,

when i get hunger pang's, it feels like my stomach is folding in half. like you said, if my will power is strong, i can ignore it until it goes away. actually, that's a good time for a beer (liquid bread) or wine (liquid grapes). you get a really cheap and quick buzz like that. but oddly enough, shortly thereafter, the hunger comes back twice as strong. i sort of see the wisdom in having an evening cocktail to awaken your senses for dinner.

My hunger starts out with my stomach growling then hurting & if I let it go on too lang a huge headache. Now, there are times when I think I am hungry but I'm not. I can tell the diffrence between the 2 because if I only think I am hungry I crave something but don't know what I want. This usually hits right before I go to bed & I can easily ignore it. If I give in to it, I find myself stairing into the cabnets or fridge just nibbling on various things & nothing really satisfies that craving. When I am truly hungry I have either a craving for one thing & am able to take care of it of anything will do.

I also get woozy before throat pains. I think this is simply a response to hypoglycemia. I think that my throat pain response to low calories is probably due to a mutation in my genes and therefore inherited.

Some people love the odor of skunk spray and this has been linked to specific genes. What is not known is whether it smells the same to them and they just love it or whether it smells like something different to them that others would also like.

why would someone make "skunk spray"? did j.lo come out with a new scent?
i wonder, do they synthesize it? i'd hate to be in quality control that day....

I was watching MythBusters the other week & they were trying to get a skunk to spray them to see which home remedy took the smell of best. They couldn't get the skunks to spray tham so they tried a commercial a skunk scent & the smell dissappered so fast that they couldn't do the experiment. I sat there the whole time wondering who in their right minds would want a skunk to spray them! Talk about a nasty smell!! GAG!

buckytom said:
why would someone make "skunk spray"? did j.lo come out with a new scent?
i wonder, do they synthesize it? i'd hate to be in quality control that day....

Skunks, not people, make skunk spray. It come from glands in the anus and is used as a defense. There is a synthetic chemical called "skunk oil" that is used to make natural gas stink so that leaks can be detected, but I don't know if that is chemically the same.

Bangbang said:
I get the "throat thing" along with stomach growling. I even start salivating.

lol, bang just pictured you and your dog in a new doggie food commercial. the camera is in close on your pit bull, slurping away on one of the raised food bowls. then a louder slurping starts in the background, your dog stops and looks up. the camera pulls back to reveal you and your dog slurping away on bowls of food...

buckytom said:
Bangbang said:
I get the "throat thing" along with stomach growling. I even start salivating.

lol, bang just pictured you and your dog in a new doggie food commercial. the camera is in close on your pit bull, slurping away on one of the raised food bowls. then a louder slurping starts in the background, your dog stops and looks up. the camera pulls back to reveal you and your dog slurping away on bowls of food...

My wife would say its just like that. I'm just sittin in a chair while doin the slurpin. :LOL: My pitbull is so lazy she lies down while eatin. :LOL:

My stomach feels like it is collapsing in on itself when I get hungry. Sometime it also growls. If i wait too long then I become painfully indecisive on what I want to eat. My wife should get a medal for having to deal with me. She asks me a million questions until she hits upon something that I want to eat. How about grilled cheese? No. How about chicken? No. Pizza? No. cereal? No. Sandwich? No.

Yes I can be a real pain to live with :oops:

crewsk said:
I just wish people around here would stop running over them! That smell travles a long way & lasts forever!!

That brings back memories. When I was a child, every year, my parents and I would drive from Chicago, Illinois to Lac Du Flameau, Wisconsin. I wasn't allowed to open the car windows because my father claimed that it ruined the aerodynamics of the car and decreased gas mileage. As if it wasn't bad enough that my father smoked cigars, invariably we ran over a skunk. This would mix with gas fumes and inevitably the smell of my own vomit.

Years later, I found out that standup comedian, Jake Johanson, had the same experience.

Back
Top Bottom