How do you say "pecan"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you pronounce "Pecan"?

• puh-con

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • pee-can

Votes: 26 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
When I was a kid - during the years I was growing up in Albany, Georgia ... there wasn't much debate about how to pronounce the word - pecan .. it was "puh-con" - a "pee-can" was something that a truck driver kept under the seat of his truck.

But, I've noticed Paula Dean pronouncing them "pee-cans" some times - and Paula and I went to school together in the 3rd-4th grade in Albany. So I'm curious ... and no, I'm not bashing my friend Paula!

And, yes - I know ... both pronunciations are acceptable in the dictionary.

Last edited:
i've heard a number of southerners complain about paula's overdone accent, but hey, it's showbiz.

for me, it's pe-con. not so much puh-con. the "e' is slightly pronounced.

Ditto-ing Andy. Accent is on the P, not the Can.

I love discussions of accents and pronunciations. Here in Massachusetts, especially in the Boston area, you can often identify the TOWN someone grew up in by the way they pronounce certain words.

Lee

Well, I've been saying the word over, and over again to listen to exactly what I do say....It's "Puh-Con" maybe edging a little towards Pe(h)-Con. I can assure you It's not Pee-Can, nor do I know anybody around my part of the world that does say Pee-Can, If anyone did they would get some very strange looks!:ermm:

Listen y'all, folks that say y'all every other breath y'all, really do get on my nerves y'all. I've heard some folks use y'all on T.V., that say the word y'all more times in 30 minutes y'all than the average Southener y'all says in a days time y'all. Y'all know what I mean???

Well, y'all, I 'fixin' to eat a piece of Puh-con pie. Y'all want some??:LOL:

Pah-leeeeese!!!!!!!

I voted for puh can. Whenever there are different pronunciations available, I choose the one that sounds best to my ears. Whether it sounds better to someone else is subject for another time.

Pee-can.

Which is weird.

I'm thinking about the word 'research' which is the word I use to test whether I'm pronoucing something in UK English or American English, Autrailasian English or West Indian English (oh the joys of crossculturalism!).

In American English it tends to be the stress on the first syllable, like REsearch, where as in English-English its re SEARCH. So weird that this nut thing flips it.

One day I'll say everything correctly in some country somewhere, rofl.

I`m a Hybrid, to me it is REsearch, I say data as DAY ta, not dah ta, although I am an Englishman.

I`m a Hybrid, to me it is REsearch, I say data as DAY ta, not dah ta, although I am an Englishman.

I had the re-SEARCH drummed ino me in a mock viva where I was told it REALLY mattered.....:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom