How do you take your burger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VeraBlue said:
Have you ever ground your own beef for a burger?

I do for the bar sometimes, whatever ribeye, sirloin, and fillet scraps I have laying around. If that is the case then I am not opposed to a medium rare burger, because I know what has gone into the meat. If I am out and order one, or get the meat from the store, I cook to a higher temp. You don't know what they have ground into it...I guess better safe the sorry.

Aunt Dot and Tattrat

auntdot said:
Rare. Which is why we ground our own.

I recently ground my own beef for burgers for the first time. Used tenderloin and sirloin. I did it in batches in the food processor. It was easy enough but not something I'd get involved in all the time.

Normally, I eat a burger medium because as mentioned, who knows where that cow has been. But grinding it myself, it was rare all the way, bay bee.
It was magnificent.

Medium

whole wheat bun, toasted
small spreading of Miracle Whip
dijon or spicy brown mustard
sharp cheddar slice (cold, not melted)
romaine lettuce
tomato slice
fresh ground pepper

Yum! I want a burger now :angel:

I also made "stuffed" burgers once, where you mold the ground beef patty around a chunk of gorgonzola or some other blue cheese. Yum!!! Very good.

Medium-rare.
Letuce, tomatoe, a little mayo, a mini little mustard and some ketchup.

Then, it depends on the day:
Grilled onions OR
Sauteed mushrooms

Anf fat french fries on the side.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Ok, I read through all of these thinking I would find one with jalapenos!! If I missed it, point it out to me!!!

I don't eat burgers much, but when I do... it is med. rare, lettuce, tomato, mustard, pickle, and JALAPENOS!!! Preferably grilled jalapenos!!!

Port o' Call, French Quarter

On Esplanade, there is a bar called Port o' Call. Locals hang out there, tourists wait hours to get in. (Luckily, the quarter has that 'go cup' policy). Anyway, my boyfriend and I go to Port o' Call everytime we are in the Quarter, regardless of how long we have to wait.
This is how they serve their burger:

You get a choice of cheese-cheddar, american or swiss
You can have fried onions, sauteed mushrooms, lettuce, tomato

They don't do french fries. The do baked potatoes. Big, hot, fluffy baked potatoes. You can have those with either butter, shredded cheddar, sour cream, bacon, or green onions...any combination.

It's almost mandatory that you wash that back with an Abita beer.

If we ever do a poll on where the best burgers are, I'd vote for Port o' Call every day of the week and with as many aliases as I could get away with.

Someone mentioned stuffing the cheese in the burger...there is a place in Westwood, NJ called the Ironhorse (its next to a railroad stop) that stuffs the cheese in the burger. Magnificent.

A half-pound of 85% lean beef grilled medium-rare.
A bulkie roll, thickly spread with Hellman's mayonnaise on both sides.
Tomato, lettuce, raw onion, salt and pepper.

Serve with fresh french fries and more Hellman's mayonnaise for the fries.

Medium well to well. Don't l ike my burgers mooing back at me.
Depending on my mood I'll just take ketchup. Sometimes ketchup and mustard. Sometimes mayo and ketchup. Sometimes just mayo.
Love cheese and fresh cut tomatoes on it too.

BreezyCooking said:
bison burger

img_297840_0_cbd45c5b68bd04c1a96490d9e0779ae7.gif
Lubbock Texas, best I ever had...with everythin.....don't be skeerred to add the Jalapenos ~:-p

VeraBlue said:
Someone mentioned stuffing the cheese in the burger...there is a place in Westwood, NJ called the Ironhorse (its next to a railroad stop) that stuffs the cheese in the burger. Magnificent.

do they still offer pickles and coleslaw on every table as an appy? haven't been there in years.
i used to love that place. good sangria, and i loved the chatanooga chicken sammich, as well as the swiss and mushroom smothered chicken, and the bleu stuffed burger. it's weird that after 15 years or more, i still remember and can picture the dishes i enjoyed there.

quick story: years ago, my church theatre group used to perform a "living stations of the cross" on good friday. it became so popular that we were invited to perform it for a larger crowd outdoors in that little park with the gazebo in westwood, across from the iron horse. well, being blue eyed and having long, light brown hair circa 1980, i played jesus (as everyone knows nazarenes looked like aryans...:angel: ).

we would silently act out each station while the bible passages were read over the loud speaker. i was "pretend" crucified on a 12 foot tall cross and propped up on that gazebo for hours as thousands of people went by in a procession, saying their prayers. being early april, and i was only hanging there in a loin cloth, i froze my butt off.

one year during dress rehearsal just before the performance, the actors who were supposed to take me down from the cross and wrap me in a death shroud messed up and dropped me, causing my back to slide down the cross, peeling a huge strip of skin off my back on the foot peg.
well, we went on a little while later, my back bleeding profusely. little old ladies passed out, as children cried over the "too realistic" blood on my tunic.
we got a lot of complaints over the gore factor, and weren't invited back...

getting back: one burger i like is a leitrim burger.
85% lean, of beef or lamb, (i also like buffalo or vennison). a slice o' irish cheddar melted on top, then raw sweet or red onion, a good squirt of ketchup, a slice of irish bacon, beefsteak tomato slices, romaine or crisp red, or even boston bib lettuce, on a multigrain burger roll schmeared with mayo.

Last edited:
Ok....when I don't get my White Castles I take it this way.

Medium
red onion thinly sliced
thin slices tomato
4 slices of bacon
Thousand Island Dressing
Onion Kaiser Roll

Bangbang said:
Ok....when I don't get my White Castles I take it this way.

Medium
red onion thinly sliced
thin slices tomato
4 slices of bacon
Thousand Island Dressing
Onion Kaiser Roll

I am sorry I just don't think white castles fall in the catagory of a burger
I am not sure what catagory they fall in.

True story I wanted to try them and there were really cheap this was years
ago, so I bought alot of them I couldn't eat them they were so bad. I gave
them to my dog and she wouldn't even eat them. All the white castles
closed in this part of the country.

The ironhorse

buckytom said:
do they still offer pickles and coleslaw on every table as an appy? haven't been there in years.
i used to love that place. good sangria, and i loved the chatanooga chicken sammich, as well as the swiss and mushroom smothered chicken, and the bleu stuffed burger. it's weird that after 15 years or more, i still remember and can picture the dishes i enjoyed there.

quick story: years ago, my church theatre group used to perform a "living stations of the cross" on good friday. it became so popular that we were invited to perform it for a larger crowd outdoors in that little park with the gazebo in westwood, across from the iron horse. well, being blue eyed and having long, light brown hair circa 1980, i played jesus (as everyone knows nazarenes looked like aryans...:angel: ).

we would silently act out each station while the bible passages were read over the loud speaker. i was "pretend" crucified on a 12 foot tall cross and propped up on that gazebo for hours as thousands of people went by in a procession, saying their prayers. being early april, and i was only hanging there in a loin cloth, i froze my butt off.

one year during dress rehearsal just before the performance, the actors who were supposed to take me down from the cross and wrap me in a death shroud messed up and dropped me, causing my back to slide down the cross, peeling a huge strip of skin off my back on the foot peg.
well, we went on a little while later, my back bleeding profusely. little old ladies passed out, as children cried over the "too realistic" blood on my tunic.
we got a lot of complaints over the gore factor, and weren't invited back...

getting back: one burger i like is a leitrim burger.
85% lean, of beef or lamb, (i also like buffalo or vennison). a slice o' irish cheddar melted on top, then raw sweet or red onion, a good squirt of ketchup, a slice of irish bacon, beefsteak tomato slices, romaine or crisp red, or even boston bib lettuce, on a multigrain burger roll schmeared with mayo.

Somehow I knew you'd know this place. I haven't been there in close to 15 years, either. Do you remember the two pronged forks??? I enjoyed your story, but I thought it was going to lead up to someone bringing you a burger while you hung on the cross.

rickle...

rickell said:
I am sorry I just don't think white castles fall in the catagory of a burger
I am not sure what catagory they fall in.

True story I wanted to try them and there were really cheap this was years
ago, so I bought alot of them I couldn't eat them they were so bad. I gave
them to my dog and she wouldn't even eat them. All the white castles
closed in this part of the country.

just a little hint, rickle...it helps if you are high.:w00t2:

I like mine,
Ground chuck
Medium rare
Vidalia onion
Tomato (from the garden)
Chedder
Mayo
Lettuce
and has been said, a roll worth eating:)

We usually do our burgers medium well, just to be on the safe side.
green chile
cheddar
lettuce
tomato
avocado or guac

Occasionally we like bacon and/or sauteed mushrooms. Now I want burgers & french fries! Maybe this weekend. Maybe it should be a "dine with us"?

Back
Top Bottom