how often do you go food shopping, and where?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go to Costco, or BJ's, every two months or so.

Occasionally will make a treck to the Asian food or Hispanic markets.

In between, we hit the supermarkets (there are two about ten miles or so from where we live, everything else is very far).

Fortunately, the supermarkets do stock fairly upscale stuff (there are many people around here who own many acres of land and have a lot of money).

But can still find chicken hindquarters on sale for 49 cents a pound.

Cut them up, cook the thighs (our favorite part of the chicken), and use the drumsticks for stock (do not like those critters).

Wish we were closer to stores, and would love a real butcher, but we love the shrubbery.

SierraCook said:
Today I shopped until I dropped. I went to Costco, BestBuy, Winco, Lowe's, Trader Joe's, Hallmark Store, Mervyn's, Target, Tower of Records, Baby's R Us, lunch at Quizno's and dinner at the Asian Wok. I know all of that was not food shopping, but when I go to town I make the most of my time and gas money.

Hi Sierra.
You must be a SPEED shopper. We have most of the stores you mentioned here too. I like Trader Joes. A while back there was a lot of hoopla about a wine called Two Buck Chuck, that supposedly was of pretty good quality/taste, that was flying off the shelves. Have you tried it? Or, anyone tried it yet? (Don't know if it's still around.)

Also wanted to thank you for your welcome, when I came in. Cute Avatar! (Are u flipping some pancakes?) Northern CA. is sooo beautiful.

Mish

mish said:
SierraCook said:
Today I shopped until I dropped. I went to Costco, BestBuy, Winco, Lowe's, Trader Joe's, Hallmark Store, Mervyn's, Target, Tower of Records, Baby's R Us, lunch at Quizno's and dinner at the Asian Wok. I know all of that was not food shopping, but when I go to town I make the most of my time and gas money.

Hi Sierra.
You must be a SPEED shopper. We have most of the stores you mentioned here too. I like Trader Joes. A while back there was a lot of hoopla about a wine called Two Buck Chuck, that supposedly was of pretty good quality/taste, that was flying off the shelves. Have you tried it? Or, anyone tried it yet? (Don't know if it's still around.)

Also wanted to thank you for your welcome, when I came in. Cute Avatar! (Are u flipping some pancakes?) Northern CA. is sooo beautiful.

Mish

I went with my brother. He is the speed shopper. Usually, I like to dawdle a bit more. He is one of those in and out of the store shoppers. Two buck chuck is still around. I have not tried it because I am allergic to wine. Since pancakes are one of my favorite breakfast foods, I could be flipping pancakes. N. CA is great. I have lived here all my life except for 1 year when I lived in Kansas.

I am at the grocery store at least every other day. I grab whatever looks yummy in the product department and go from there, I eat pretty simply. My son has been in the army for a little over a year now and I'm still learning how to cook for one. It was a huge change from having to cook for a teenager with a bottomless pit for a stomach and the horde of friends he always had hanging around. =P

So I'm definitely the person at the check out counter with a handful of items, but I'm also the one you'll see nearly every day.

;)

ohhh ~ forgot to add where I shop! I love any and all Farmer's Markets!! For a regular grocery store, my all time Favorite is Larry's Market. If you're ever in the Seattle area make sure you stop in one. They are gorgeous. My 2nd favorite would have to be Whole Foods.

Once I move.. I'm sure I'll frequent places like Home Depot.. etc. Even though Claire has me beat on the age of my house... still can use a few things.

Juliev said:
Once I move.. I'm sure I'll frequent places like Home Depot.. etc. Even though Claire has me beat on the age of my house... still can use a few things.
And, I know that this wasn't food-related.. but honeybee got me on this house kick.. just thinking of all things I have to do.

My favorite store is Trader Joe's and a local Northwestern store called Market of Choice, and sometimes Wild Oats. I also do a large meat shopping at costco, probably once every 5-6 weeks. I shop weekly for fresh vegetables, milk, eggs, bread, those perishable things. I love to shop and look at what is and what I have missed in previous visits, especially to Trader Joe's as he is constantly adding new items. But then the part where I get home and have to put the stuff away, UGH.

EDIT: had to add I only by food at the above mentioned stores, buy household products and paper goods at Wal Mart.

64871803107.jpg

SierraCook said:
I go major shopping at Costco, Trader Joe's, etc. once a month or so in Reno. I will stop at the local grocery store 1-3 times per week. Sometimes, I wish that I lived in a bigger town to have more variety. The local grocery store just pretty much sticks to the basics. No smoked Gouda there. I buy it at Costco. Trader Joe's has to be my favorite store.

You are so right SC, TJ's rocks, my favorite as well. Ever buy theyr 2 buck charlie wine????? good stuff as well as teh wine from Chili.

I shop anywhere from 2-3 times a week at either the LaMontainita Co-operative or Wild Oats Natural foods. These places I find, are very expensive to shop at but the food just tastes better from these stores. I do a lot of organic baking and can substitute pretty much anything found in a supermarket.

norgeskog said:
SierraCook said:
I go major shopping at Costco, Trader Joe's, etc. once a month or so in Reno. I will stop at the local grocery store 1-3 times per week. Sometimes, I wish that I lived in a bigger town to have more variety. The local grocery store just pretty much sticks to the basics. No smoked Gouda there. I buy it at Costco. Trader Joe's has to be my favorite store.

You are so right SC, TJ's rocks, my favorite as well. Ever buy theyr 2 buck charlie wine????? good stuff as well as teh wine from Chili.

I love to drink wine, but I don't drink much of it anymore, because I am allergic to it. So, I have not tried 2 buck chuck.

I am not a big wine drinker and really don't know the differences between them. If you put a glass of merlot and a glass of pinot noir in front of me I would never be able to tell you which is which. For that matter you could probably put two glasses of merlot in front of me and i would not know they are the same. That being said, I know what I like and what I do not like when I taste it regardless of what type it is and I have enjoyed all the 2 buck Chuck wines I have had from Trader Joes. My parents who do know their wines agree that they are great for what they are.

GB said:
I am not a big wine drinker and really don't know the differences between them. If you put a glass of merlot and a glass of pinot noir in front of me I would never be able to tell you which is which. For that matter you could probably put two glasses of merlot in front of me and i would not know they are the same. That being said, I know what I like and what I do not like when I taste it regardless of what type it is and I have enjoyed all the 2 buck Chuck wines I have had from Trader Joes. My parents who do know their wines agree that they are great for what they are.

Thanks GB.
Like yourself, I'm not wine savvy. Use to have a glass or two, but made me start sneezing (maybe the pesticides? don't know). Appreciate your feedback, as it would be nice to have a good wine around to cook with or to serve that is tasty too!

We go to the grocery store once a week, normally on Sat (unless out of town). Shop at Sam's for bulk items, meats for contests, large dinners.
Then when going to a contest we go to the store and Sam's on Thursday for ice, chicken, garnish. We usually have to go to several different stores for contest items.

Domestic Godess said:
I shop anywhere from 2-3 times a week at either the LaMontainita Co-operative or Wild Oats Natural foods. These places I find, are very expensive to shop at but the food just tastes better from these stores. I do a lot of organic baking and can substitute pretty much anything found in a supermarket.

DG I like Wild Oats as well, love to shop there and have coffee and one of their pastries. Yes they are expensive but I buy organic products when I can get them, never canned or boxed food, like to prepare myself from scratch.

norgeskog

I try to do as much from scratch as I can too, packaging is a big waste and does up the price. I have purchased canned tomoes on occasion. If I'm in a hurry they're good in a pinch. I also buy salsa in jars sometimes. I do all my own baking and most meals from scratch though, I have tried the packaged brownies and cake mixes out of curiosity (from the co-op) and they are always too sweet. Scratch is definitely better. Another thing I have to consider is the elevation, we're at 5,000 feet. The air is lighter up here so that means less baking powder/soda and less sugar, but more liquid. I'm adapting well and for the most part my desserts turn out good. I made myself a Black Forest Cake for my birthday last month and indulged myself by adding some cherry liquour to the layers....OMG, the flavor was amazing. I don't use alchol as a rule, but when you add it to your baking sometimes it really can make a difference. We grow our own veggies through out the summer so we are trying to be good sustainable folks. We can grow salad greens well into the winter here which is a blessing.

DG

Domestic Godess said:
norgeskog

I try to do as much from scratch as I can too, packaging is a big waste and does up the price. I have purchased canned tomoes on occasion. If I'm in a hurry they're good in a pinch. I also buy salsa in jars sometimes. I do all my own baking and most meals from scratch though, I have tried the packaged brownies and cake mixes out of curiosity (from the co-op) and they are always too sweet. Scratch is definitely better. Another thing I have to consider is the elevation, we're at 5,000 feet. The air is lighter up here so that means less baking powder/soda and less sugar, but more liquid. I'm adapting well and for the most part my desserts turn out good. I made myself a Black Forest Cake for my birthday last month and indulged myself by adding some cherry liquour to the layers....OMG, the flavor was amazing. I don't use alchol as a rule, but when you add it to your baking sometimes it really can make a difference. We grow our own veggies through out the summer so we are trying to be good sustainable folks. We can grow salad greens well into the winter here which is a blessing.

DG

Sounds great, Domestic Goddess. I find that liquor does add a depth of flavor to whatever you are cooking. Following Julia Child, I always cook with white vermouth which I would not drink, do not like the flavor but it certainly does a fantastic job with I am making a sauce for steak of pork shops.

Back
Top Bottom