I Need a Veggie Side Dish Suggestion for Osso Buco and Rissoto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Brussels sprouts would go well with that. It's a favorite Italian vegetable, and earthy, like your main dish.

I like to boil the sprouts until just tender, then saute in a skillet (season with salt and pepper) with rendered bacon and a little minced garlic. Add a small hand of pine nuts or slivered almonds at the last.
Or you could just add them to the Osso Buco.

Don't forget some good crusty bread to mop up the tasty juices!

You could serve the risotto inside baked/roasted mini/baby pumpkins. Or, butternut squash soup, and green beans with roasted chestnuts as a side.

Soooooo Andy... what did you end up pairing with the OB? If you posted it already, I missed it!

Dinner was great. The OB was a big hit. After some discussion with SO, we (she) decided to skip the veggie side all together.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to respond. You gave me some teriffic ideas for next time.

Veggie for Pork Osso Bucco

I grow my own Kale so have lots of it. I love both Kale and Sauerkraut with Pork. I decided to develop my own recipe and combine Kale and Sauerkraut in the same pot. Saute lots of onions, garlic, then add finelly chopped kale, then add consomme to braise it for about 30 minutes, then add rinsed sauerkraut. If you want a one pot, you could add pre-browned potatoes at the same time as the sauerkraut. Try this for something unique.

I grow my own Kale so have lots of it. I love both Kale and Sauerkraut with Pork. I decided to develop my own recipe and combine Kale and Sauerkraut in the same pot. Saute lots of onions, garlic, then add finelly chopped kale, then add consomme to braise it for about 30 minutes, then add rinsed sauerkraut. If you want a one pot, you could add pre-browned potatoes at the same time as the sauerkraut. Try this for something unique.

Sorry, besides the fact that this thread is almost 9 years old and the original poster stated 2 posts above they decided to skip the vege altogether, I think this would be a horrible dish to serve with osso bucco, maybe with an entree of bratwurst, but not something like OB and risotto.

Last edited:
I think that the ossobuco you made may have been what we call Ossobuco alla Milanese, which with you tipically serve Risotto alla Milanese, which is veal. Here in Italy, you would have a side dish of your choice. This is called a 'contorno'. For information, Ossobuco alla Milanese with Risotto alla Milanese as an accompanying side dish is considered to be one of Italy's great classics, but there are other ossibuchi. The term 'ossobuco' defines a cut of meat with a piece of marrow bone still in it. Ossobuco alla Romana, for example, is a slice of beef from high up the shin like the Milanese with the marrow still in it, and it characteristically has peas in the recipe, no risotto, and different side dishes.

I find that a side dish of braised fennel (fennel cut into quarters, salt, black pepper, origano and sage, gently cooked in a little good olive oil and a little water) goes very well, but that's a dish that appeals to me, and we all have different tastes.

Italians are very regional in the way they refer their local dishes, and what locals they have excels all else that exists. This is local pride, and long may it go on. This way, they've preserved many interesting and special dishes for their national heritage.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I think that the ossobuco you made may have been what we call Ossobuco alla Milanese, which with you tipically serve Risotto alla Milanese...

Yes. That's exactly what I made. I did not provide that information in my original post.

This is one of those rare times when someone resurrects a 9-year old thread and the OP is still around. Actually, I'm approaching my 13th anniversary on this site.

Yes. That's exactly what I made. I did not provide that information in my original post.

This is one of those rare times when someone resurrects a 9-year old thread and the OP is still around. Actually, I'm approaching my 13th anniversary on this site.

13 years on the site is great... Well done, Andy.. :)

Because I'm paying attention to a Little League game on TV, I failed to notice the date of the original post.. What caught my eye were names I have not seen in my short time here.. How great it would be if all could be here 13+ years..

Ross

Andy,

A couple of ideas: ( I would keep it light as Oso Bucco is a hefty dish )

1) Sautéed mushrooms in Evoo with fresh parsley & minced garlic ..

2) A mushroom risotto or green asparagus risotto .. or a Saffron risotto which is very Milanese .. and gives a gorgeous yellow to the dish ..

3) Baked Polenta ( classically served with Oso Bucco ) .. this would also serve as a bread in this format ..

4) Sautéed spinach with garlic, Evoo and some herbs and Golden raisins with pine nuts or almonds ( toasted ) or hazelnuts ( toasted ) ..

Good luck !

Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
Andy,

A couple of ideas: ( I would keep it light as Oso Bucco is a hefty dish )

1) Sautéed mushrooms in Evoo with fresh parsley & minced garlic ..

2) A mushroom risotto or green asparagus risotto .. or a Saffron risotto which is very Milanese .. and gives a gorgeous yellow to the dish ..

3) Baked Polenta ( classically served with Oso Bucco ) .. this would also serve as a bread in this format ..

4) Sautéed spinach with garlic, Evoo and some herbs and Golden raisins with pine nuts or almonds ( toasted ) or hazelnuts ( toasted ) ..

Good luck !

Have a nice day ..
It's always a good idea to read all of a thread before responding ;)

He made this 13 years ago.
He made risotto alla Milanese.
They decided not to make a veggie dish.

Sagittarius, forgive me if I set this right: Ossobuco alla Milanese is classically accompanied by Risotto alla Milanese, or saffron risotto as you refer to it, and NOT by polenta - any Italian chef would tell you that! The combination of the ossobuco and the risotto make it a signature dish that the Milanese are very proud of. The rice should be Vialone Nano, four years aged if you can get it.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom