I want to eat your food.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelly-anne

Assistant Cook
Hi folks. As you can see I'm new to DC and I am yet to come across anyone else form UK so far. So I was hoping you could maybe share some of you're ideas for a basic and hearty all American supper that I could cook up for the DH this evening here in a windy and bleak Edinburgh where we are fast approaching Autumn (well prob already there).:chef:

Look forward to your inspiration.

I agree. Stew with meat and veg over biscuits or a hearty soup, navy bean or split pea with ham and popovers. Or a simple tasty mixed roast: say chicken pieces and veg like potatoes and carrots seasoned with salt and pepper, olive oil and some herbs (tarragon rosemary parsley) and a splash of white wine, roasted at 375F for about 45 min.

A chicken pot pie would be nice, a small salad to go with and a some pie for dessert

kadesma

Hot dogs and baked beans, either separate, or with the dogs cut up into the beans and it all baked in the oven.

With apple pie for dessert, natch!

Lee

apple pie sounds like a great suggestion from other posters!!!

didn't post my main thought-

chix stew over biscuits or sausage gravy over biscuits.

Kelly-anne While thinking about this I reached for one of my favorite cookbooks - "Spoonbread and Strawberry Wine" by the Darden sisters, they both are still living. Their grandfather was a slave. I like their spoonbead and also their sweet potato pudding topped with marshallows. Either or both should go well with many things, especially fried chiciken.

I did buy the peanut buttter and jam and had two whole wheat bread sandwiches with cold milk.

I love a good bowl of borscht also - made so thick that the wooden spoon stands up in the pot!

kelly-anne, I forgot to mention, what I have found is that here all the food suggestions and recipes are good. But there are too many for one soul to make! After hanging around and reading many many posts I find that a few names will always get my attention and I always open their posts and lo! they are right on for me. But check them all out from time to time. They come from all over the world and we are blessed that way.

Nothing like a nice, thick, creamy soup on a chilly night. Here's one of my favorites. It's fast and easy too! ;)
Potato Bacon Chowder

8 slices of bacon, cut up
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups cooked and cubed potatoes
1 cup water
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 ¾ cups milk
½ teaspoon salt
pepper

Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and saute onion in drippings. Remove onion and drain on paper towel. To cooked, cubed potatoes add water, soup, sour cream, milk, seasonings, and cooked onion and bacon, saving some bacon to crumble on top. Simmer, do not boil.

Back
Top Bottom