I want to try Gnocchi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
Hey folks, I want to try Gnocchi tonight but I need to know what protein will go good with it. My DH will not stand for a meal without meat, so I need some ideas of what to fix with it. I saw some sauce ideas for Gnocchi that I will more than likely try in a thread that GB started.

Thanks folks!

I hear what you're saying - my hubby's also not really the vegetarian type :) Love gnocchi - I've made potato gnocchi with a bolognaise sauce which worked quite nicely - don't know how traditional it is but we liked it :)

serve the gnocchi as a side dish to either sirloin steaks (bone in, please), or lamb chops, or even pork chops. With any of these meats, a simple sauce of sauteed butter and garlic with mushrooms would be perfect.

Awesome, thanks VB and TK.... I had some brats and thought about that, but then I'm just not real sure what flavor/texture of the Gnocchi will be like.

as a side dish

I agree with VeraBlue on this,

I think of this as a Pasta "side", with just maybe cheese or I actually like browned butter with like Poppy seeds and/or even Cinnamen...

The meat could be anything from Steak, Italian Sausage or Pork Chops...

I am German American and tend to think of these like Dumplings!

Eric, Austin, Tx.

p.s. I had this once with Gorganzola Cream Sauce, a little strong for me but quite good.

Last edited:
Around here gnocchi is often served with choice of meatball or sausage (or both) on the side.

Ok, now I'm a bit torn, I found some 1" thick pork loin chops and I have brats on hand.... which would go better?

ALSO.... After cooking the gnocchi in water for a few minutes, do you sautee them in the sauce or just prepare the sauce and toss with the gnocchi?

I think Chops... with just salt and pepper, no sauce if...

I think Sautee in sauce and even "just" brown if the sauce is "oily" like Butter..
If it's Creamey , then just Simmer a few minutes..

Sounds Great!

Eric.

Ok, now I'm a bit torn, I found some 1" thick pork loin chops and I have brats on hand.... which would go better?

ALSO.... After cooking the gnocchi in water for a few minutes, do you sautee them in the sauce or just prepare the sauce and toss with the gnocchi?
I'd go with the pork, and save the brats for cabbage and potatoes.

Boil the gnocchi, and then toss them in the pan you made the sauce in.

Sattie,
if it were me, I'd do just what VeraBlue suggests..That combo is right on.
Me being me, I'd add a nice green salad to the menu and enjoy.

kadesma:)

Yep, do the chops. I worked at an Italian restaurant in Marquette when in college and we had Pork Simbrio on the menu, which was a simply grilled pork tenderloin bathed in clarified garlic butter (the very same stuff they bathed the fresh baked bread in). I would do something similar and brown the gnocci in a bit of that. Oh does that bring back memories! You may want a green salad to lighten and balance the meal a bit. I am never opposed to some red sauce with gnocci either. They are heavy on the stummy, so proceed with mouth-watering caution.

Ok, I went with the pork loin chops, lightly seasoned and browned over the stove.

I boiled the Gnocchi for 2 minutes, until they floated to the top and drained. I added butter, garlic, a some lemon zest to the same pan I did the chops in and added the gnocchi. They were a bit bland in flavor (easily fixed with a dash of s & p.), but they were a bit gooey. Is this how they are suppose to be? They were ok, but I need to play around with them more and try some other sauces. I had no idea that there were so many versions of gnocchi!

To finish off my dinner, blanched broccoli with lemon juice and red pepper. It looked really pretty plated!

serve the gnocchi as a side dish to either sirloin steaks (bone in, please), or lamb chops, or even pork chops. With any of these meats, a simple sauce of sauteed butter and garlic with mushrooms would be perfect.

I agree. Gnocchi is amazing with a simple sauce. If meat is needed it is better on the side as gnocchi is better without meat actually mixed in it.

A tv cook in our hometown had a show that I used to watch constantly.
One of her recipes turned out to be a favorite and the day I watched her make it, I made it for dinner that night. It was very light, with the sauce being a thin version of a veal bolognese, very light. I'll pm it to you since I'm not sure if I am supposed to do it in here or in the pasta section.
I used ground beef as I didn't have veal.

Bump ... Tyler Florence is doing gnocci on Tyler's Ultimate this morning. I like him almost as much as I like gnocci! He has a casual instructive manner that I enjoy, and this pan sauce looks pretty simple and tasty.

Hey folks, I want to try Gnocchi tonight but I need to know what protein will go good with it. My DH will not stand for a meal without meat, so I need some ideas of what to fix with it. I saw some sauce ideas for Gnocchi that I will more than likely try in a thread that GB started.

Thanks folks!
Hey Sattie, did you ever make your gnocchi?

Yes I did... see post #12. They were ok and I was not crazy about the garlic butter sauce. However, I have since purchased more and I plan to experiment with them a bit. Hubby liked them, he said it complimented the meal very well, he must of been feeling ill that day!

If I was going to serve the pork chops with gnocchi (I'd never serve brats with gnocchi), and I would flour them, egg them, roll them in fresh bread crumbs mixed with Italian seasoning and grated parm, saute them for about 4 minutes on each side, and either finish them off in the oven or in simmering tomato sauce until cooked through. Then I'd melt mozzarella on top, and serve both the prok chops and gnocchi smothered with the sauce. Of course, I have always preferred pork parmagian to chicken or turkey parmagian.

Tyler's Ultimate Gnocchi is Awesome!

I just made the gnocchi and soup recipes from Tyler's Ultimate and wrote about it on my food blog - google "stephenchristinelicious" -- it came out wonderfully and the sauce is great. what made it so great, however is the lemon ricotta cream. the summer minestrone that he made during this episode is also delicious.

I just made the gnocchi and soup recipes from Tyler's Ultimate and wrote about it on my food blog - google "stephenchristinelicious" -- it came out wonderfully and the sauce is great. what made it so great, however is the lemon ricotta cream. the summer minestrone that he made during this episode is also delicious.

WOW! That sounds good! I'll check it out!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom