Impressive Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickell

Senior Cook
When You Want To Impress Someone You Having Over For Dinner
What Is Your Favorite Meal To Make?

My Husband Wants Me To Make Something Special For One Of His
Family Members That Our Going To Stay At Our House For One
Evening. Any Ideas??? They Also Have Kid 8 Yrs To 13 Yrs Old.

I Could Make Something Different For The Kids My Kids Are The Same
Age Too.

I would check with the hubby to see their likes and dislikes. It all depends on that.

When I have guests at our house, I always want to know if they are more on the conservative side or advernturous eaters. If they are conservatives, I have already learned to do some mean pasta or risotto dishes to impress them, if they are the type who would welcome new experiences, I would let them try something like Mexican, Indian or Middle Eastern fare etc.

You have houseguests and extra children, would try to make it a one pot meal as much as possible.

And I am guessing you want something not on the grill.

How about a bouillabaisse, but it is a bit time consuming, or a paella/jambalya, or maybe an etouffee, always love a coq au vin, or maybe a shrimp or lobster fra diavolo over spaghetti. Can always serve some bread and a salad with many of these.

Am just guessing.

If you give us some idea of where you might like to go I am sure you will get many more suitable replies.

How about a nice clam chowder
served with a green salad and crunchy French bread?

The very first things I'd ask would be 1) does anyone have any food allergies, & 2) is there anything they positively hate.

Nothing could be worse than planning a fabulous seafood (or other) dinner only to find out when it's too late that one of your guests is either allergic to it, or that it positively turns their stomach to eat it. Then go from there.

As far as the kids, it depends. I grew up eating unusual food & never ate from the kiddie menu in a restaurant in my life. Other kids aren't happy unless they're eating pizza or a hamburger.

BreezyCooking said:
The very first things I'd ask would be 1) does anyone have any food allergies, & 2) is there anything they positively hate.

Nothing could be worse than planning a fabulous seafood (or other) dinner only to find out when it's too late that one of your guests is either allergic to it, or that it positively turns their stomach to eat it. Then go from there.

As far as the kids, it depends. I grew up eating unusual food & never ate from the kiddie menu in a restaurant in my life. Other kids aren't happy unless they're eating pizza or a hamburger.

NO FOOD ALERGIES BUT I WOULD LIKE TO STAY AWAY FROM SEAFOOD.

I THINK THE KIDS WILL WOULD PROBABLY EAT ANYTHING I MADE THEM

SOMETIME I THINK THE KIDS WOULD JUST MUCH RATHER EAT AND GO
RIGHT BACK ON PLAYING NOT SIT AT THE TABLE. EVEN MORE SO WHEN
THEY DO NOT GET TO SEE EACH OTHER THAT OFTEN.

If you have a charcoal kettle barbecue, there is nothing quite as cheap, as impressive, or as easy as a barbecued/smoked turkey. I like the turkey because it is impressive looking, great tasting, and cheap. Yes a couple racks of lamb with the bones interlaced through the center is more imppresive. It is also much more expensive, and everyone doesn't like lamb. Turkey is universal.

To make this, simply purchase a twenty pound turkey, with neck and giblets. Thaw it in water, and barbecue following these directions. Also soak 4 cups of maple or apple wood chips in water overnight.

Prepare two beds of charcoal opposite each other in the grill. Leave 6 inches space between them. Light the charcoal.

Remove the giblets and neck. Place these in a pot filled with 1 quart of water. Cover and simmer for an hour. While the charcoal heats, wash and dry the bird inside and out. Paper towels work great for drying the bird. Combine 1 tbs. rubbed sage with 1/2 cup salted butter. Rub all over the turkey skin. Either use a disposable bread pan, or make a drip pan from heavy-duty aluminum foil by rasing the sides to form a 6 by 9 inch pan. Fold the corners over to make the sides hold their shape. Place the drip pan between the hot charcoal beds and fill with 1 cup water. Spread the wood chipa over the charcoal. Place the cooking grid over the charcoal and place the turkey, breast-side up, directly over the drip pan.

Insert a meat thermometer (covered with foil) into the bird, pressing from the breast into the meat so that the tip is near the thigh, body joint (the hip). Cover the grill and set all vents at the half open position. Let the bird barbecue for about ten minutes per pound. No need to touch it, baste it, or do anything else with it. Just check the fire every half hour or so to make sure it stays hot.

You can emulate this technique on a gas barbecue by placing a disposable aluminum pan filled with wood chips over the lit burner, and the turkey over the unlit burner, again with a meat thermometer.

Remove the turkey when the thermometer reads 150 degrees F. Let it rest for twenty minutes before carving. To carve, remove the thighs and wings at the body joint and lay on a platter opposite each other. Remove the breasts in whole pieces by cutting down from the breast bone and carefully removing the meat as you go. Then, carve into 1/4 inch thick slices accross the grain, making sure that each slice is covered by skin. Lay the slices between the legs and wings, on the platter. Garnish with something green and pretty such as kale, leaf lettuce, or parsley. Serve with suitable sides that are appropriate for the summer season. Sliced cantaloupe is always appreciated, or a cold fruit based soup. Maybe some kind of ice cream desert.

And then on the other hand, I'm of the opinion that a great sandwich as some really good baked beans is as good as the most extravagant of meals.:) .

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

rickell said:
When You Want To Impress Someone You Having Over For Dinner
What Is Your Favorite Meal To Make?

My Husband Wants Me To Make Something Special For One Of His
Family Members That Our Going To Stay At Our House For One
Evening. Any Ideas??? They Also Have Kid 8 Yrs To 13 Yrs Old.

I Could Make Something Different For The Kids My Kids Are The Same
Age Too.

An impressive meal to prepare, would depend on the individual's (adult's) favorite food/dishes. If I were preparing a meal to please everyone - kids 8-13 and adults, I would keep it simple, and not cook twice, i.e. a roast, potatoes (or mac 'n cheese for the kids), veggies, salad and dessert - cake/pie and ice cream. A family-style sit down dinner/Thanksgiving-like dinner with a turkey or roasted chicken and all the trimmings would satisfy/please everyone, IMHO.

Last edited:
When I have people over for dinner, I usually think GUINNEA PIGS. It's a good excuse to try something new. This weekend, I made a Bolognese sauce that very good, although a bit time consuming.

Pasta is usually a good choice, along with a vegetable, good bread and salad. Pesto is an nice and easy summer time dish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom