Indian cooking class at J&W

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gretchen

Washing Up
I had a great time yesterday with this class. I took it primarily because I know NOThing about Indian cooking, do not eat it often and wanted to learn. It was super and I think I had a revelation. One reason I am often put off by a recipe is the length of the ingredient list. But many of these are the spices. Once these are all combined in a bowl, the rest is EASY. So, I am going to compile a block of core Indian spices (coriander, turmeric,cinnamon,fennugreek, etc.) and then launch my meals. The spices AND a big jug of minced garlic and ginger will really launch it!!

Here is the website of the chef who taught it and if you scroll down to "Chef's Choice" you can see pictures of the class. Twenty people, about 6-8 J&W students and Chef Ties, all VERY available for the entire session. We divided into groups of 5 and cooked all the dishes at each station--
zuke pancakes, potato and pea samosas, chicken tandoori, ground lamb curry, vegetable curry (WONderful!!), chicken biriyani, naan, raita and coriander chutney. I had this wonderfully fresh and zingy taste in my mouth after eating the meal!

His website is quite nice and has a lot of recipes on it.

www.chefreference.com

Congratulations Gretchen! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. We just happen to be having a traditional Indian meal tonight for dinner. My MIL is visiting and she's never had Indian but is excited about trying it. Thanks for the link to the site, can't wait to browse! I have found this cuisine to be very economical also by using relatively inexpensive ingredients along with spices and herbs for intense flavor. Once you have the basic spices in your pantry, most dishes can be prepared very easily.

Wonderful, Gretchen!

I've been cooking Indian food for about 30 years. The combination of spices, the unusual textures and the haunting flavours are reasons I return time and time again to Indian food.

Once people get over the "fear" of the long lists of spices, and realise that Indian cuisine is NOT about curry or brain-numbing hot sauces, it gets really interesting!

Exactly about the length--but it is mostly spices!! But the outcome is so worth it!! I feel so "empowered!!
I also found out about the "pickles" I have purchased at an Indian grocery. Chef says they are served as a condiment with many of the dishes. Some are fiery hot, but I think will be a really interesting addition for the dinner table.

Gretchen said:
Exactly about the length--but it is mostly spices!! But the outcome is so worth it!! I feel so "empowered!!
I also found out about the "pickles" I have purchased at an Indian grocery. Chef says they are served as a condiment with many of the dishes. Some are fiery hot, but I think will be a really interesting addition for the dinner table.

Indian pickles are absolutely wonderful, once you learn to use them properly.
I regularly make Mango, Lime, Eggplant (brinjal) and garlic. This week I'm experimenting with Cauliflower, Turnip & carrot; Pumpkin; Tomato Pachadi and Onion pickle. They all burn like **** - but they're delicious!

And today I did what I said I would do. Went to the Indian grocery I have recently found and bought the spices! ON the way.

Way to go, Gretchen.

I happen to be cooking Indian today/tomorrow. I'm making a couple of dishes for my Indian neighbors. He graciously rescued me when my computer had some problems last week.

Andy M. said:
Way to go, Gretchen.

I happen to be cooking Indian today/tomorrow. I'm making a couple of dishes for my Indian neighbors. He graciously rescued me when my computer had some problems last week.

So! What are you cooking?

Yesterday, I made dal makhani. Today I'm making kadhai paneer and nan.

Every year we are invited to their son's birthday party. They have it catered by an Indian restaurant. We track down some recipes for the dishes we like and I make them. The dal was my first dish a couple of years ago. My neighbor is always telling his friends how good it is.

The paneer dish is a new one for me from this year's party. The nan is another that I've been wanting to try.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom