Instant Mashed as thickener?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NitroChic

Assistant Cook
I am very new, and have read on here that instant mashed potatoes are a good thickener for soups etc. One post said "If used properly".
Can someone please expand on that? I am ususlly too panicked about the thickness of a soup or stew to make them.
I just use instant potatoes as a breading mixed with appropriate spices of course.

I kinda like my soups a bit on the thick side, particulaarly pea soup and lentil.

One of us likes all soups like a stew. I would call them a gummy mess at times. Tasty, but more like porridge than soup. If consomme could be made thick, I am sure we would have it that way.

If I want a soup thin, I make it.

Anyway enough about the great soup wars.

Thickness of soup is, i supose, a matter of preference.

Have never added the tater stuff but would go a bit on the conservative side.

Just a thought.

I think the "if used properly" comment relates to not using too much.

If you want to thicken a soup or stew, sprinkle a little instant mashed and stir it in. You can always add more if needed. It's just another alternative to thickening with flour.

the only other issue with it I find is that if you make too much soup for instance, and leave the rest to go cold (maybe for next day) it will "split", you`ll end with clear liquid in the cracks that seem to form, it`s a little unsightly, but with a good stir and re-heat it`s all good to go again :)

Thanks to all... my first post..on the wrong board no less. I appreciate the input.

What Andy said. Instant mashed potatoes will thicken a soup/stew nicely, but don't overdo.

I like to thicken things up with cornstarch. Flour always seems to need seasoning and potatoes don't belong in everything. Instant potatoes do make a wonderful potato soup and I don't like finding foreign chunky stuff in my potato soup like ham, limas and and nix on peas. Just potatoes, please.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom