Interesting Article On Being A Vegetarian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaa! Great article, he made me laugh! And he was pretty spot on about tofu, some restaurants have no clue how to make it tasty!

It was spot on about a lot of things. One thing I get, that was not mentioned, were when some people find out im a vegetarian, they try to impress me by saying " oh, well im almost a vegetarian, I dont eat red meat" or " I only eat fish" or "I always wanted to be a vegetarian" and things like that. Almost as if A) I actually care whether they are vegetarian or not B) I am trying to convert them

larry

Good article. I have lived with vegetarians for many years and have always have them within my group of friends. I am quite used to accomodating them when I entertain etc (so much so that I am really only recently getting into cooking with meat) I do believe that dining options have increased greatly for them in the last several years.

Thanks, GB - I really enjoyed that article. We used to have a restaurant here in Bucerias called "Roots" that this author would have loved. Andrew, the chef, made such wonderfully seasoned vegetarian dishes (no tofu) that no one ever missed the meat, and most of their clientèle were omnivores. (Except my husband, that is, who would have been happier eating there if he would have arrived with a chicken breast surreptitiously tucked in his pocket.) Alas, Andrew was SO good that we was wooed away by a New York restauarant and Roots is no more.

Hahaa! Great article, he made me laugh! And he was pretty spot on about tofu, some restaurants have no clue how to make it tasty!

It's supposed to taste good???? I always thought it was just filler in the hot and sour soup! :-p

I never met a tofu that I liked, so I've probably not been exposed to the right restaurant. I will be giving it a try the next time we dine out for Thai food.

Once the fresh produce start hitting the local market, I make many meatless meals and get rave reviews. This goes on thru the entire growing season. Vegetables are people, too, and deserve to be adorned with all the butters, oils and lovely spices in my cupboard.:LOL:

But, alas, I do love meat, and being raised with hunting, fishing and the conservation & respect thereof, I have no problem with being an omnivore, and understand where the vegetarians are coming from. It's a big world with plenty of room for all of us. We just need to play nice.

Joe

Tofu - used to go to restaurants in NY Chinatown and they made it taste good. Of course, many of the dishes also contained chicken stock or some other meat product.

Am not a vegetarian at all - but I sorta like tofu when done well. It picks up so many flavors.

Have known some vegetarians, with varying preferences, and one vegan who said she would live to 175 years. She was in her seventies and looked twenty-five years younger so maybe she might have made it until she got bored driving slowly behind a big rig and decided to pass over a double line. Nice lady, RIP.

None of those folks were judgemental. Or is they were they kept quiet about it.

The author does make a good point. The vegetarian stuff you find at grocery stores is well, not very tasty. Every couple of years go to a company picnic where they do serve veggie burgers (along with tons of hamburgers) and will try a bite. Always hoped the stuff would taste at least decent but the veggie patty with one bite out gets tossed.

I do feel sorry that most meals that strict vegetarians can find at most restaurants are not very, well, ambitious.

There are many great ways to make really good dishes without meat. But until vegetarians constitute enough of a customer population most restaurants have no incentive to go beyond the boring dishes.

When vegetarians have the power of the buck, they will get better grub.

Back
Top Bottom