Is anyone eating tonight? Sun. Feb. 26th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We'll be having red chile frito pies. dh invited the neighbor's over for dinner, without checking, for the second day in a row. Fortunately, he suggested the frito pies and that is one of the two dishes that he makes! No cooking for me tonight! Just a run to the gas station up the road to pick up some fritos and sour cream.

ummmm, do I have to tell you??

We had Morningstar chicken strips! Boooo, hiss yuck! lol

I made Hollandaise Oat Chowder with a mixed herb salad and sourdough bread accompanied by a 2001 Jermann Dreams chardonnay. Homemade chocolate chip cookies for dinner.

I had the spaghetti and meatballs that I was supposed to have last night. With the spaghetti and meatballs I had spaghetti squash with butter and brown sugar. :) Spaghetti squash is a vegetable I have only once or twice year, because of it taking so long to bake in the oven.

I made my French Onion Soup with 3 different kinds of onion, Port Wine and Burgundy and a bottle of Sangiovese.

:chef:

phinz said:
I made Hollandaise Oat Chowder with a mixed herb salad and sourdough bread accompanied by a 2001 Jermann Dreams chardonnay. Homemade chocolate chip cookies for dinner.

Care to share your recipe? Sounds interesting.

Hollandaise Oat Chowder

1/4 cup butter
2 large yellow or Vidalia onions, finely chopped
1 crushed garlic glove
1 turnip, finely chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 leek, sliced very thin
1/2 cup oats. Steel cut or old-fashioned
5 cups vegetable stock or broth
2/3 cup milk (whole or 2%)
2 T white wine vinegar
1 egg yolk
2/3 cup cream
2 T mayonnaise
salt and pepper

In saucepan fry onions and garlic in butter for about 10 minutes until softened but not colored. Add carrots, turnip, leek and celery. Cook another 5 minutes. Add oats and cook for about a minute longer.

Add milk and stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (better to under-season than over-season, as you can add more seasoning later).

Reduce heat, add 2 T vinegar and cover. Simmer for 30-35 minutes, until vegetables are tender. The more tender they are, the better.

Combine egg yolk and cream. Add a little bit of the soup to the cream and whisk lightly. Add mix to soup and whisk in. Whisk mayo into soup.

Bring to the boil slowly and taste. Add vinegar if sharper flavor is desired. Adjust salt and pepper to personal taste.

For garnish you can use a little grated cheddar or some chopped fresh basil. I also think a small dollop of sour cream swirled in at the last second might work. The effect is a mild, but rich chowder that presents a pretty, light-colored, chunky soup that is complimented really well with a mild flavored sourdough or even a chunk of baguette on the side.

dw went out shopping today, so us guys stayed in and cooked a bunch of stuff for the next coupla days.

grilled extra hot turkey sausage and peppers/onions, buffalo wings, veal cubes in tomato sauce, broiled bbq sauced chicken legs, and mac-n-cheese.

So, does your boy wear a chef-boy-ar-dee hat when he cooks with you, bucky?

We went out to the place "the guys" usually go. After tonight, I'll let them keep it as a "guys" place!

But, after dinner, I peeled/cored/sliced a bunch of apples and nuked them with sugar, apple pie spice, lemon juice and a bit of butter and then served them with vanilla ice cream and graham butterflies on top.

Back
Top Bottom