Is Anyone Else Having Dinner? Sunday 12/3/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Well, I've been making it a point over the past few months to make Sunday Supper "Italian Style".

002.JPG

Tonight its Chicken Cacciatore

trader-joes-sauce-001.jpg

I cheated a bit, using Trader Joe's Marinara,
fresh Mushrooms, Sweet Bell Peppers and Onions

003.jpg

I have fallen in love with Barilla brand Cellentani pasta

004.JPG

and our all time favorite bread from Trader Joe's,
their Half Baked Idea Ciabatta

We're both STUFFED!

Oh, but I did make Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip cookies with some fresh ice cold milk for dessert later ;)

Today is SO’s birthday so I reverse seared a NY Strip and mad a baked potato and peas for her special dinner. Dessert later will be rum cake, her special favorite birthday cake.

Looks good, K-girl. I love the idea of Italian Sunday dinners. Brings me back to when I was a yout. In Brooklyn. :cool:

Btw, was there bone-in meat involved in the cacciatore? It's often chicken or rabbit, but it could be anything from a hunter.

Happy Birthday to your SO, Andy.

I spent the day splitting wood with my boy. We split about a half cord. Now he's trying to figure out a business plan to try to sell it. Up near us, a full cord goes for only $175, but you can more than double that if you sell small bundles closer to the city. Gotta figure out how to get rid of 35 trees before they rot.

Anyway, I'm dining on leftover salad, and leftover pizza at work.

Rouladen....I cooked some carrots, garlic and onions in with the rolls because there were only two and they looked lonely in there..

Attachments

• 24337279_10154981424077401_1431735457_n.jpg
    24337279_10154981424077401_1431735457_n.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 24580964_10154981524147401_1017562640_n.jpg
    24580964_10154981524147401_1017562640_n.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Looks good, K-girl. I love the idea of Italian Sunday dinners. Brings me back to when I was a yout. In Brooklyn. :cool:

Btw, was there bone-in meat involved in the cacciatore? It's often chicken or rabbit, but it could be anything from a hunter.

I spent the day splitting wood with my boy. We split about a half cord. Now he's trying to figure out a business plan to try to sell it. Up near us, a full cord goes for only $175, but you can more than double that if you sell small bundles closer to the city. Gotta figure out how to get rid of 35 trees before they rot.

My roommate and I made a lot of money selling bundles of twenty-or-so sticks to apartment dwellers back in college. That's the way to go.

As for dinner, I grilled some honey-chipotle wings tonight.

CD

HA! Yeah, Italian Hunter's Stew is sorta what we had,
only it was very city-fied :LOL:
with b/s Chicken Thighs (wishing it was Rabbit, which DH will not eat but I LOVE), none the less, Italian Style Sunday Supper and delizioso!
My Mother will be with us next week, so I need to dream up something really show-stopper for next Sunday!

Oh yeah, here in Cowboy-ville, full cords of wood are giving away for FREE!!!
:santa:

A late but sincere "Happy Birthday" to your dear SO, Andy.

bucky, I wish we lived closer to you. I'd pay for your gas AND feed you and your growing young man a good meal in exchange for a bed-load of that wood. We're almost out of what we had, finishing up the last of what has come down in our own yard. I cannot think of the last time I had to pay for firewood! But I do enjoy a nice fire on a winter night, reading a book with my feet propped. All that's missing is the wood...and the kitty that used to lay on my lap while I read. *sigh*

Oh, dinner! OK. One last fresh meat that needed to be cooked before we leave for the family funeral in the morning. I seasoned a pork tenderloin with Jerk seasoning and roasted it hot. Tossed in a couple potatoes that had been par-"baked" in the microwave, and steamed up some green beans. We also finished the last couple pieces of roasted carrot and leftover beets.

Attachments

• 20171203_222803.jpg
    20171203_222803.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 181

Sounds like you need to rent a power saw and log splitter. What a lot of hard work. Cut down those 35 trees and stack them to let the dry out and season. Then they will be easier to split than green logs.

When I lived in Tacoma, my next door neighbor and I would run out to Rainier National Park, after the kids were in school. We would get permission to pick grounded lumber. (Small fallen trees) Load up the bed of her truck, and let her husband unload it when he got home. It was no longer green so was very easy to split it and cut down to size for the fireplace. When he thought he had enough to get them through the winter, one more trip to the woods, and he cut it all into kindling. Enough to sell in five pound tied packs at the roadside to their home.

We made it a point to make sure we could still see the truck at the roadside. Thar were bears in them thar woods. One time we did get caught in a whiteout though. Scared us to no end. Can't see the truck, and no idea which way to run if we heard strange sounds.

We had roast beef, carrots, & potatoes cooked in the slow cooker with a tomato gravy, rice, a salad, and rice pudding for dessert.

I prepped dinner and then ran out of spoons, so DH finished it off.

I seasoned pork chops with Penzeys Mural of Flavor salt and DH pan-seared them. I also started baked potatoes in the microwave and prepped asparagus for roasting in the toaster oven. DH surprised me by making a mustard-cream pan sauce for the chops :wub: That's the first time he's made it with no direction from me. Delicious :yum:

Sounds like you need to rent a power saw and log splitter. What a lot of hard work. Cut down those 35 trees and stack them to let the dry out and season. Then they will be easier to split than green logs. .

Power tools are fun, but I want him to learn how to do things by hand first.
I got a beautiful Stihl chainsaw for Christmas last year, but I'm looking into buying an old timey 2-man crosscut saw for the really big logs. Plus, once the temps are below freezing, chainsaws don't work well on frozen logs.

I love doing all of this stuff with him, although he mentioned that after we're done with the wood, he wants us to build a forge out back so we can make knives and axes and stuff, lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom