Is your pizza shrinking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i picked up a pizza today for lunch, and noticed that while once it barely fit in the box, often challenging structural integrity of the the origami like folds of said box, it was now slightly smaller, easily fitting within.

now, i know the cost of flour has skyrocketed, and the price of an average plain pie has increased from around $9 to $12, a 33% increase, but i wonder if everyone is experiencing the same loss of diameter in their pies?

i'm a thin crust kinda guy, so i feel that it shouldn't have had as big an effect as if you were to order a sicillian or deep dish pizza.

I've seen that at some of the shops as well. Our favorite, Sal's Pizza, advertises their 3 pound, 19" pizza. A Cheeze pizza is $10.

I really haven't noticed the diameter of the pies getting smaller - but I have noticed the toppings getting thinner, and if you want to add 1 additional topping .... it cost about twice as much for half as much.

Higher prices, same size, here.

Andy, we've been considering trying Sal's. What is your favorite pizza? Have you tried the 3 pounder? Do get delivery?

I'm making pizza tonight, on the hottest day of the year:wacko:. Thank heavens for a.c.

Lee

I have not noticed a change in our sizes or prices. I am counting myself as lucky.

I tried Sals once for lunch. I was unimpressed with the exception of the size of the slice which was about a quarter of a large pizza. I just ordered one slice and it had obviously been sitting out for a while and then popped in the oven to reheat. Flavor wise I would give it a 5 out of 10. It was not bad, but not good enough to get me to go back. I am sure a fresh pie would be much better though.

i order pizza from the local roundtable pizza. i have noticed it being smaller and not so much stuff (not that much before) i paid 23 dollars for a large with everything. add a small tip and it was almost 30 dollars. a tad expensive for what i was i think.

babe

Higher prices, same size, here.

Andy, we've been considering trying Sal's. What is your favorite pizza? Have you tried the 3 pounder? Do get delivery?

I'm making pizza tonight, on the hottest day of the year:wacko:. Thank heavens for a.c.

Lee

They have two sizes. The 3 pounder is 19". They also have a 12". If you avoid multiple veggies, you get a nice crisp thin crust. Veggies can make them soggy. The Sal's near us does not deliver. They are the best of the bunch out here so I go pick one up. Suzanne and I share a large and sometimes have a slice or two lef over.

GB, their slices are, in fact, a quarter pizza. If you order by the slice, it is premade and reheated. I don't know how else they could offer 'by the slice'.

We noticed the same thing, so now we just go to Trader Joe's and get their refrigerated pizza dough. I use the Mario Batalli method, making pizzas directly on the grill outside. We can also put all the toppings we want/need :)

I don't order pizza very often. When I do, it's usually from a place called Ameci's. The've been around for years. The pizza sizes go by inches, i.e. 12" etc. But, now I wonder if they are going by the size of the boxes taped to the wall. Intewesting.

I was reading about homemade pizzas online today, and several posters said to chuck the pizza stone in favor of a screen.

Do any of you use a screen for homemade pizza?

Lee

I still use the stone myself. I also have noticed pizza sizes shrinking lately, except at those places that go by inches instead of size. And the toppings are getting less and less everyday.

Less toppings...but the same size.
We make our own most of the time. It's cheaper and tastes so much better
than the other ones.

Nope. No shrinking Pizzas here.

Favorite Pizza place just reopened after moving. Huge Pizza, tons of toppings. Not a chain. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom