ISO suggestions with company for dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
having my dil for dinner , for her bday.

so far i have sauted' shrimp with butter and garlic.
either jasmine rice or tai noodles
baby brussels with bacon and balsamic
spinach salad with onions, mushrooms and parm. with warm dressing
warm lemon cake

any ideas for a bread ?

thought this might be a fun thread

babe:chef::chef::chef:

I'm totally lazy and I would buy a loaf of french bread and do the balsamic vinegar thing in olive oil.

When in doubt and I want to make a bread item, I do popovers...rich brown crispy, goes with any meal, great for butter or preserves. ( I mix in up to 1/3 whole wheat of the total flour amount.)

I wouldn't bother with a bread unless dil is a real bread lover. The noodles and/or rice, the lmon cake, plenty of starch right there. By the way, can I come to dinner. Sounds yummy.

I'm with Claire here. I don't serve bread when rice, pasta or potatoes feature substantially in a menu.

I have been known at times to do individual garlic breads where you get a slice or two of bread per person, trim off the crusts, spread with garlic and herb butter (or if you prefer just herbs or sundried tomatoes or parmesan or a combination of everything) and roll up like a Swiss roll, secure with a toothpick and bake in a moderate oven until the bread starts to crisp up just a tad. You can also slice them after they come out of the oven into rounds for an hors d'oeuvre with a difference.

no bread?

I'm with Claire here. I don't serve bread when rice, pasta or potatoes feature substantially in a menu.

I have been known at times to do individual garlic breads where you get a slice or two of bread per person, trim off the crusts, spread with garlic and herb butter (or if you prefer just herbs or sundried tomatoes or parmesan or a combination of everything) and roll up like a Swiss roll, secure with a toothpick and bake in a moderate oven until the bread starts to crisp up just a tad. You can also slice them after they come out of the oven into rounds for an hors d'oeuvre with a difference.

i am really looking for a chinese or thai bread. doen't u serve bread with spag. or bread to scoop juice in spag. etc.

babe

i am really looking for a chinese or thai bread. doen't u serve bread with spag. or bread to scoop juice in spag. etc.

babe
Nope!! Closest I would come is when there is potato in soup/stew as I might have a slice of bread with that. Never with pasta and never with rice. Always bugs me when you order a pizza that it comes with garlic bread as well. So I just stick the garlic bread in the fridge for another time.

When I go to a restaurant and I get served muliple levels of carbohydrates, I tend to not feel so good by the end of it, inasmuch as I feel overly full. To that end, I don't usually order garlic, etc bread, athough will every so often get toasted Turkish or pita bread with dips but it depends on what I am ordering for the rest of the meal.

A local Thai restaurant here serves paprika bread but that is the only Asian restaurant I have encountered that serves bread. Generally it is just on the menu here for the Western market. (Other than seafood or prawn toast at the Chinese restaurants, that is.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom