ISO Sweet Potato Pancake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I looked through my cookbooks but had no luck. I found this online.

Sweet Potato Pancakes

• 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/4 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
Sift dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Combine remaining ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop by tablespoons onto hot greased griddle or skillet and fry, turning once, until browned on both sides.

Would those be anything like potato pancakes substituting sweet potatoes for the white potatoes, babetoo?

Would those be anything like potato pancakes substituting sweet potatoes for the white potatoes, babetoo?
I think you could use the same recipe for regular potato pancakes for sweet potato. I have even seen a mashed potato recipe with nutmeg. It depends on if she wants sweet or savory.

Hmmmm I bet you could also substitute canned pumpkin ..YUM... or other cooked winter squash for a savory pancake. I may have to pick up a can of pumpkin this weekend.

Do you have canned pumpkin in your supermarkets? We can't get it around here, do to a failure in the pumpkin crop last fall. My daughter was wanting pumpkin for a pie, and I told her to buy canned sweet potatoes, mash'em and use them instead.

constance, i can buy both pumpkin and sweet potatoes canned. i have made pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie from them. both work well. there is a difference in taste but if sweet potato is all you can find, it will certainly be a good sub.

you must have a Winco close by don't you babe? I know they have wonderful sweet potatoes there... you could bake them in the oven, let them cool, then use in the recipe.

Do you have canned pumpkin in your supermarkets? We can't get it around here, do to a failure in the pumpkin crop last fall.

I found 7 cans of store-brand back in January. I have not looked for any since but I am not out :(

I know Libby's cannot be found anywhere because of the crop failures the last 2 years. I am hoping one of the stores might have more store-brand in stock. I'll keep you all posted if I find any.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom