It's Nat'l Root Beer Float Day, 8/6/18, Are You Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, no cooking tonight! Our wonderful house guests left today and I'm taking the night off. We will be enjoying pizza from our local pizza place :yum:

Wow, GG, it seems like you just told us that they arrived. I bet the week's visit flew by even faster for you.

We'll be having bratwurst steamed in beer (not root beer, though :LOL: ) that Himself will finish off on the grill. We'll use them for brat-and-kraut sandwiches, along with fresh made applesauce, dill pickles, pickled beets, and green beans. If we're going to eat by 8, I'd better get going. Been busy goofing off with laundry and dishes and cleaning today...

Attachments

• 38632904_272506733526680_9041717606251233280_n.jpg
    38632904_272506733526680_9041717606251233280_n.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 147
I haven't had a root beer float in at least a half a century. There's a local company that makes some really good sodas (or whatever you call them where you're at), and their root beer is exceptional. Way, way better than the big national brands.

Dinner tonight was grilled B/S chicken thighs in a soy balsamic marinade, leftover potato salad and cole slaw.

I haven't had a root beer float in at least a half a century. There's a local company that makes some really good sodas (or whatever you call them where you're at), and their root beer is exceptional. Way, way better than the big national brands.

Dinner tonight was grilled B/S chicken thighs in a soy balsamic marinade, leftover potato salad and cole slaw.
We have a drink over here called Dandelion & Burdock (made from the roots of both) which has been made since the Middle Ages when it was a sort of alcoholic beer - disgusting is a mild way to describe the taste (I only had it once - as a polite child I drank the whole glass and promptly threw up all over the neighbour's lawn). Not the same as Root Beer but probably was a fore-runner of it - perhaps the Pilgrim Fathers couldn't find dandelions and burdocks.

Think I’ll defrost a few of my red Argentine shrimp and through them in with a store-bought Jerk simmering sauce.

I never liked root beer much.

I stopped for lunch in this hole-in-the-wall taco joint in North Dallas called DJ's that I used to go to when I worked nearby. I had what they call the BFB. It is a big burrito... use your imagination for the "F" in BFB.

I won't need to eat another meal until tomorrow, sometime. So, just light grazing this evening.

CD

Looks really good, Roch and CG.

CG, I'm particularly eyeballing the homemade apple sauce. :yum: Been so long since I've had that. Come September, family and I will be going to our favorite orchard about an hour away and pick some apples.

I had another unexpected nap this afternoon, and ended up ordering out for Chinese. :)

Okay, way off topic, but it has been on my mind way more than it should be, so I just gotta' ask. Why do people refer to Rocklobster as Roch? Where is the "H" coming from? There is no "H" in Rocklobster. :huh:

Yes, it is trivial. But it has been an itch I've wanted to scratch for quite a while, so humor me. :unsure:

CD

Casey, Roch is his real name. Which reminded me - we had this fun thread going about avatars and screen names several years ago. Roch's is on the first page. I had totally forgotten about it until I saw your post and had to look it up. :LOL: Add psychopoodle to it if you want, it would be fun to see more from newer members!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/tell-us-about-your-avatar-91100.html

It was so dang hot at our house, and we were sick of being indoors, so we headed for the Harbor for cooler sea air, boat watching, and dinner.

We each had

Cold Combo
Luxury Crab Meat (3 0z), Ceviche (3/4 cup), Oysters (2), Clams (2), Peel & Eat Shrimp (8) served on a bed of lettuce,
and we shared an order of fried calamari.
Sure hit the spot!!

Last edited:
Good to see you again, RR. Ugh, I remember how humid it can be up there in your area. 20 degrees cooler than here, but twice as humid.
---------------------------------------
Two of the grands will be here tomorrow - heading for the store in the AM for vanilla ice cream and root beer. Yum. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom