July 2 - Saturday, What's cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made up a batch of sesame noodles. I saved out a 1/4C of the sauce to marinate some shrimp. I'll cook them up to top the noodles.

I have lost all enthusiasm for cooking tonight. At least at the moment.
It's so muggy outside, coupled with eating a couple cold hot dogs and a handful of chips for lunch, that my appetite went out the window...

I am needing some inspiration. When are those dinners going to start rolling in?

I made up a batch of sesame noodles. I saved out a 1/4C of the sauce to marinate some shrimp. I'll cook them up to top the noodles.

What exactly is that, Andy?
I have shrimp. I have noodles. I have toasted sesame seeds and some sesame oil. Can I make sesame noodles?

Great idea Andy!! It's definitely Sesame Noodle time again isn't it!
I'm going to a big barbeque potluck on the 4th, and I bet out of the dozens of Potato Salads, I'll be the only one with Sesame Noodles. By the way, I've been adding grated carrot for color lately.

Good grief Pac!! You were never on the Sesame Noodle bandwagon?
Here's the recipe in case Andy is in the kitchen.

Sesame Noodles
1 Lb Chinese Noodles

½ C Soy Sauce
½ C Sesame Oil
¼ C Rice Wine Vinegar
¼ C Sugar
2 TB Chili Oil
2 Tb Toasted Sesame Seeds
3-4 Ea Scallions, finely chopped

8-9 Oz Chinese Noodles
¼ C Soy Sauce
¼ C Sesame Oil
2 Tb Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tb Sugar
1 Tb Chili Oil
1 Tb Toasted Sesame Seeds
2 Ea Scallions, finely chopped

Cook the noodles according to package directions.

While the water is coming to a boil, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, sugar and chili oil in a medium bowl. Whisk together and set aside.

When the noodles are cooked to your liking, drain the noodles in a colander, but do NOT rinse. Shake out excess water completely.

Transfer noodles to a low flat pan or tray*. Pour sauce mixture over hot noodles. Toss to coat evenly and continue to toss about every 5 minutes, until completely cool and all the sauce is absorbed by the noodles.

Transfer to a platter or bowl. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.

Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate to serve cold.

*Note: tossing the noodles in a low wide dish will allow the noodles to absorb all the sauce much faster and easier.

The hot chili oil gives this dish a "subtle zippiness." For spicier palates, offer Srirachi Hot Chili Sauce on the side.

You can use thin spaghetti with good results too. I use honey instead of sugar, and more sesame seeds

Last edited:
Nope, one bandwagon I was never on ;^)

No Chinese noodles and I'll guarantee the town store doesn't have any. I've got everything else though.
Is that two recipes? I've got videos playing again and will leave and come back to see if they stop... I just read your post quickly, Kay. It looks good!

Nope, one bandwagon I was never on ;^)

No Chinese noodles and I'll guarantee the town store doesn't have any. I've got everything else though.
Is that two recipes? I've got videos playing again and will leave and come back to see if they stop... I just read your post quickly, Kay. It looks good!

Pac, I edited that you can use spaghetti instead of Chinese noodles. I've done it many times and it's great. The first part of the recipe is for a lb.
It keeps well for up to two days, but it never lasts more than one sitting around here.

Oh yeah, those sound good, Kay. And I see you can use thin spaghetti now. No chili oil though. I looked for that before and couldn't find it around here. I think I'll order some.

Patty, your post has an attachment but no pic. At least on my end. It just says "Attachment 11337", but clicking on it doesn't go anywhere. Your dinner sounds good anyway. How did you make the beans? First time huh? I haven't made baked beans start to finish in a long time. I'm overdue.

Pac, I edited that you can use spaghetti instead of Chinese noodles. I've done it many times and it's great. The first part of the recipe is for a lb.
It keeps well for up to two days, but it never lasts more than one sitting around here.

Hey thanks! No video pop ups or audio playing and I can take my time.
I see now that you broke it down into smaller servings. Super :)
I'm going to be making this as soon as I can get some chili oil.
Not tonight though :( Still at a loss here. I've got half a mind to replicate last night's dinner on my SJ, but I know there isn't enough room :(

Patty, your post has an attachment but no pic. At least on my end. It just says "Attachment 11337", but clicking on it doesn't go anywhere. Your dinner sounds good anyway. How did you make the beans? First time huh? I haven't made baked beans start to finish in a long time. I'm overdue.

I messed with the lighting in the picture and re-posted it. It is here now. I used to just DR. up canned baked beans. That is the first time I did it from scratch. I wanted to control the sugar, salt and make them fat free. They came out pretty good and not hard. You just have to plan and have the time. I will be doing this again. I used Hickory Liquid smoke to make up for the lack of bacon.:chef:

Hey thanks! No video pop ups or audio playing and I can take my time.
I see now that you broke it down into smaller servings. Super :)
I'm going to be making this as soon as I can get some chili oil.
Not tonight though :( Still at a loss here. I've got half a mind to replicate last night's dinner on my SJ, but I know there isn't enough room :(

Got chili flakes? Toast them in a little oil. ;)

I messed with the lighting in the picture and re-posted it. It is here now. I used to just DR. up canned baked beans. That is the first time I did it from scratch. I wanted to control the sugar, salt and make them fat free. They came out pretty good and not hard. You just have to plan and have the time. I will be doing this again. I used Hickory Liquid smoke to make up for the lack of bacon.:chef:

Yep. There now. Thanks.
You know, I used to make mine from scratch, but cooking for one have taken to doctoring up some Bush's instead. Funny how things go full circle. I used to use salt pork and molasses (amongst other things), but that's a great use for LS, too. That would certainly add a lot to beans and next time I doctor mine I'll add a few drops.
Looks like you've got a complete plate there. My kind of meal.

Kay, I need a recipe, lol.
Red pepper flakes OK? EVOO, canola, peanut, the sesame oil...? I am chili oil challenged and might as well ask here rather than Googling it. Tosat it for how long and can I make more than I need and keep it in the fridge?

Yep. There now. Thanks.
You know, I used to make mine from scratch, but cooking for one have taken to doctoring up some Bush's instead. Funny how things go full circle. I used to use salt pork and molasses (amongst other things), but that's a great use for LS, too. That would certainly add a lot to beans and next time I doctor mine I'll add a few drops.
Looks like you've got a complete plate there. My kind of meal.

I also used molasses, dark brown sugar, mustard and ketchup and a large onion chopped. I wanted to make them from scratch to make them more healthy, but this time it was a matter of economics.:mad: I already had all the ingredients on hand.:chef:
:BURP:

Last edited:
My husband has been doing the cooking this week, so it's my turn tonight. I'm doing BBQ ribs, corn on the cob, and probably some potatoes. He started some bread, so I have to pop that in the oven and then we are making sausage tonight. I'm not much of a griller, so the ribs should be interesting.

It actually all turned out really well for my first all grilled meal (and with no help from DH). I did glazed ribs, red potatoes with onion and green pepper, mixed with olive oil and rosemary, and corn with olive oil. Even my 3 year old said, "Thanks for making a lovely meal, Mom."

Here's is the recipe I used now and then, Patty, posted here a long time ago. Circa 1983 Field & Stream.

Bean Hole Beans

2 lbs (4 cups) navy beans
3 1/2 qts water (more or less)
2 onions
6 whole cloves
½ lb salt pork
2 lbs cooked ham chunks or hot dogs (optional)
1 tsp salt
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup dark molasses
1 ½ tsp dry mustard
1 cup chili sauce
Dash of Tabasco

Soak beans overnight in enough cold water to cover by 2 inches

The following day drain the beans and put in a pot. Add about 3 qts of water, cover, bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour

Stick the cloves in the onions and put in the bottom of the Dutch oven

Pour the beans and cooking liquid into the Dutch oven

Cut a couple deep slashes in the salt pork and poke it into the beans

(If you wish add your ham or hot dogs)

Mix the remaining ingredients with ½ cup of boiling water and pour over the beans

If necessary add more boiling water to cover beans

Cover and cook until done

Serves 12-14

Back
Top Bottom