july 27th dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickell

Senior Cook
What's everyone having. Thinking about stuffed chicken breast.

my daughter just said she is craving cold shrimp. that sounds good
too. she is getting her braces off today (has nothing to do with dinner tonight but she is with me while i am posting this)

guess i will go to the store when she is at her appointment

I think we'd better do a leftover night.
I have chicken venison stew and bean soup in the fridge.

pdswife said:
I think we'd better do a leftover night.
I have chicken venison stew and bean soup in the fridge.

how did your stew turn out? didn't you post earlier looking for venison
recipes?

I'm making chicken parmesan. I made the sauce and it's simmering right now, then will assemble everything later. Pasta and garlic bread to go along with it.

Yes I did and it was wonderful.
Not really a stew though... just meat, onions and mushrooms.
I found a few recipes and kind of mixed them all together. LOL.. I'll
never be able to make the same thing again.

sounds good, glad it turned out well. i love trying new things

i have a hard time preparing my hubby's deer he always has to show us the
pictures of the whole process.

i do like venison though

A stir fry of spinach, black eyed peas, corn, garlic, red pepper and rice for me, leftovers for DH (he'd never try what I'm eating--that's fine, it's more for me!).

Alix is away with the girls along with her sister and her daughters at their annual 'girls week' in Panorama....:( ...so I guess it's a peanut butter sandwich....UNLESS....someone cares to send a care package.:D

Just 4 of us tonight so it's Italian sausages, with onion, potatoes, peppers and garlic, sliced tomatoes,cucumbers,avocado,and red onion for salad, and I have some eggplant from the garden I cut in half the long way,cut strips in then stuff the strips with garlic,sprinkled with salt and am baking for an hour or til nice and soft, then I'm going to squeeze out the inside plus garlic, cool it add some seeded,peeled chopped garden tomato, some salt and pepper, toasted pine nuts, raisins,parsley,evoo and put it to cool, rolls and dessert I'm workin on that maybe some apricot bars..we shall see :LOL:

kadesma

pdswife said:
Yes I did and it was wonderful.
Not really a stew though... just meat, onions and mushrooms.
I found a few recipes and kind of mixed them all together. LOL.. I'll
never be able to make the same thing again.

I know what you mean, Trish. Those are usually the best.

We have wonderful leftovers...Chicken Roll-ups with greenbean casserole or charcoal grilled burgers. We also have some fresh sweet corn. :)

Just me, daughter, her bf and son tonight since Hubby is out of town on business so we had some Beer, cheese fondu with cuban bread and some fresh tomatoes and cukes from the garden. The BF had chicken nuggets and hash browns. He's a picky eater.

Ken said:
Alix is away with the girls along with her sister and her daughters at their annual 'girls week' in Panorama....:( ...so I guess it's a peanut butter sandwich....UNLESS....someone cares to send a care package.:D

Wow, what a great response! Jkath flew in a filet mignon on a Lear jet....Buckytom flew in a sandwich from Rupert's Deli ...Barbara and Maidrite sent some Carolina BBQ and MJ sent a Mars bar for dessert. Boy did I eat well. Thanks guys!

ken, i wish i had known that your womenfolk were going away. i woulda been there, with ronjohn and a few kegs in tow (ok, the kegs in the back seat, ronjohn strapped to the roof).

it woulda been a beer swilling, who-cares-what you scratch-and-for-how-long, "simpson's" watching marathon.

oh well, next time. hey, wouldn't alix like to visit her sis in joisey again soon, with the girls? dw could take them on a whirlwind tour of at least 7 different shopping malls, each of which she has the store layouts imprinted in her brain.

as far as dinner for us tonight, i made pork tenderloin parmagiana. i have to say, for the first time in my life, i think i made a dish that was as good as my mom's. now, i cook a larger range of things, but what she cooks, she cooks better than anyone on this planet. chicken or veal parm is one of her specialties.

i had 2 pork tenderloins that were achin' to be cooked, so yesterday i made one of them, roasted, with dijon, fennel seeds, apples and onions. it was really good. i added just a splash of a sweet chinese soju that really kicked it up.

but having another tenderloin to make before it went bad, i figured i'd try something italian-american.

so i cut it into about 6 chunks on a bias, and pounded them out very thin. i was surprised at how well the meat stayed together and was of uniform thickness. chicken breasts always begin to split and break up if i pound them that thin.

the scallopinis were dipped in 2 beaten eggs, then seasoned breadcrumbs, and pan fried in light olive oil. they were then layered in a baking dish with a jarred mild sugo (i know, gasp! jarred tomato sauce :ohmy: ), and topped with what i thought was mozarella. it turned out to be a low fat mexican queso blanco, but i went with it anyway. into a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes, until the cheese melted and was just toasting on the edges. it was a work of art that van gogh would have been proud. (i call it "gooey night"...:cool: )

well, the pork was really tender and tasty: sorta like chicken, but also kinda like veal. the best of both worlds.

but the real find tonight was using the queso blanco. for a low fat cheese, it was delicious melted. part skim mozarella just doesn't do it for me anymore, and non-fat mozarella, well, let's just say it's an abomination to call it cheese. i think they use the same stuff to make whitewalls.

anyway, i can't wait to make this for mi familia next time we gather, to see if they think my mom made it.

Yesterday our local market had some lovely large, thick, swordfish steaks, so I picked one up. Their deli department also just happened to have their fabulous large (approx 8" x 4") Spanokopitas, so I bought two. (I rarely purchase ready-made supermarket deli items, but these are bursting with a terrifically spicy-seasoned spinach-feta mixture & are really good!)

Seasoned the fish with butter & mixed grill seasoning & broiled it for 10 minutes; then flipped it over & topped it with several tablespoons of Trader Joe's "Grilled Vegetable Tapenade" (which is more of a caponata than a true tapenade) & grilled it for 6 minutes more. It came out perfectly - nice & juicy - which for me is a real triumph with swordfish, which I always find somewhat unpredictable to broil without having to cut into it several times to check for doneness.

Served it with the Spanokopitas (which I nuked in the microwave for 2 minutes) on the side.

Husband gave the meal a very enthusiastic thumbs up! : )

Back
Top Bottom