Kid's lunch box ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I have a little 4 year old daughter that goes to kindy (pre-school) and I feel like I give her the same thing every day for lunch. Some combination of sandwich, salami, homemade pasta, leftovers, cheese, yogurt, fruit, raw veggies or crackers is what I usually pack. Just wondering what kinds of nutritious things others put in their kids' lunches. I need new ideas! The kiddo isn't picky at all and will eat just about anything.

Your lunch box selection sounds really healthy!

I remember when my daughter was small, she didn't want to eat the school cooked lunches - so I started sending her with a lunch box. BUT, she was soooooo picky. Orange, peeled and in segments. If I inadvertently left one small piece of stringy pith she left the WHOLE orange, uneaten! Small sandwich - spread with butter and marmite (but occasionally, a cheese and cucumber would be acceptable - but no more often than once a month!) Packet of Walker's cheese and onion crisps - which she usually left. Two or three carrot sticks. Yoghurt, raspberry only!

Thank goodness she grew out of it after about 18 months.... It was certainly not the healthy food that I gave her at home!

What about a small, tasty salad? You could include the dressing in a seperate little plastic container and she could dress the lettuce and veggies herself. Things in wraps, pita breas, bagels and other unique breads are lovely. If she's really open to all types of foods perhaps you could include some sprouts in there (bean, broccoli, peas, etc).

Fish is another one to get kids on early in life, especially the oily omega oil varieties. Does she like salmon or mackerel? Those are both nice in a pita with some water crest, a little grainy mustard or mayo, with maybe some radishes and/or carrot sticks on the side.

I used to love when my mom would pack us off to lunch with left over pancakes (American style, the thicker ones) with some cream cheese and jam spread on them, or a little container or tinned pears or peaches to eat with them.

Corn chips and mild salsa, hummus, or other dip can be nice too. Make up a fruit salad at home (way less sugar and added preservatives than many brands) and put it in a plastic continer, with some raisin bread or sweet, milky brioche on the side.

I should point out that I don't have any kids, but I would have loved to get most of those lunches when I was a youngster :)

How about using your favorite muffin recipe and making some mini muffins. They can be healthy and are bite size for kids. Some other ideas: dried fruit, applesauce, bag of popped popcorn, sugarfree JellO cups, cold pizza, etc.

This recipe is from Quaker Oats and is one of my favorites.

Chewy Fruit & Oatmeal Bars

3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
One 8-ounce container vanilla or plain low-fat yogurt
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. skim milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup diced dried mixed fruit, raisins, or dried cranberries

Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine sugars, yogurt, egg whites, oil, milk, and vanilla; mix well. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well. Add to yogurt mixture; mix well. Stir in oats and fruit.

Spread dough onto bottom of ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.

Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.

2 DOZEN

NUTRITION INFORMATION: 1 bar
Calories 145, Calories from Fat 20, Total Fat 2g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 60mg, Dietary Fiber 2g

This website below might give you some ideas.

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/family/specialfeature/backtoschool_food_sf/backtoschool_food_sf.html

Wow! Thanks for some great ideas!!

Ishbel - we have some difficulty getting British food items. I have British and Irish friends that are always on the lookout, though. :)

Piccolina- She loves salad at home and I hadn't thought of letting her dress her own salad at school. And she loves sprouts. She also loves fish, but it has to be the whole thing. She says, "How do I know it's a fish if I can't see it's eyes." :LOL: Her one major pickiness is that she won't eat fish filets. Go figure!! I have to filet it in front of her. You have some really delicious ideas and I appreciate it!

Sierracook - I can't find microwave popcorn or this jello. Your recipe looks good but I have some questions. Is the vanilla in the recipe Bourbon Vanilla? What are quick oats? Is the baking soda single or double acting soda? Thanks!

velochic said:
.....Your recipe looks good but I have some questions. Is the vanilla in the recipe Bourbon Vanilla? What are quick oats? Is the baking soda single or double acting soda? Thanks!

Here is a common vanilla extract used in the United States.
PureVanExtract.gif

Some people like to use this brand of vanilla. On the website they will tell you how you can purchase their vanillas.

Neilsen-Massey Vanillas

I use Old Fashioned Quaker Oats for my recipes, but they might not be available in Germany. So, you can just use any regular oatmeal or oats in this recipe like the bag below.

coffee_kolln_flocken.jpg

As far as I know baking soda is baking soda. It comes just as it is. Baking powder is double or single acting. Here is a website that explains the difference between the baking soda and double or single acting baking powders.

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/Specials%20and%20Holidays/Baking20Powder%20and%20Soda%20Origin%20Uses%20Recipes.htm

If you have any more questions or need more clarification, please let me know. I hope that I have helped. :) :)

yes, we do have Kölln Flocken over here :mrgreen:
Kölln also has these Instant Flocken, they night work to.. or if she likes it a bit more crunchy, try the "Haferfleks"
and I know that you can buy microwave popcorn even over here... I've seen it at walmart and kaufland.

and you get these vanilla extract.. I don`t know the brand, but it comes in a white-green striped can... my Mom uses it..
but you also get it in a organic food store...

Back
Top Bottom