kitchen catalog temptation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael in FtW said:
Well, norgeskog - I have several places to shop around me ... but sometimes on-line (even with S&H) is cheaper. Maybe that is why it's called "shopping"?

You are right there Michael in FW, but I want to be familiar with the item I purchase by mail as I have received items that were not how they looked in the catalogue and then I have to pay for two-way postage.

What you do... is like this... go to your local cooking wares emporium and you touch stuff and feel it. hardware stores have some stuff and department stores do too. Then you figure out what you want you price shop it, wait for holiday sales or other such specials to actually buy it.
I wanted my 6 qt kitchen aid for probably almsot 10 years before I got it. Cause i first started wanting it 4 or 5 years before I got married and then i didnt cook well enough to justify the cost.

I love catalogs, and on-line just doesn't do it for me. Need to be sitting in my easy chair, quietly perusing. I too live more or less in the boonies. There are a few of gourmet shops here in town (it is a tourist town), and when I do see something locally, even if it is slightly more expensive (usually only a dollar or two), I'll buy from the local source to support their small businesses. So if I see something from Chef's or Williams-Sonoma or ... that I like, I stroll down to main street first. But the big pleasure of catalogs is just sitting there looking at what could be!

Don't buy much cooking gear anymore. First, we own an awful lot of gizmos we never use, and we have no place to store anything.

Also, from the chefs we have known and the cooking shows, we realize the professional folk really don't use much more than the basics.

But every once in a while I do go looking for Cuban sandwich presses, but have so far resisted buying one.

Will use catalogs, or search the web, when we really do believe we need some cookware as there are not too many stores out our way.

For one thing, it is easy to make a cuban sandwich without the press. Assuming you are limited in kitchen storage space, buy all your ingredients. Assemble the sandwich. Then take two of your heaviest and largest skillets (I don't have an enormous selection of skillets, so you probably have two that will work). Heat them both on separate burners.

Oil the bottom skillet when it is hot, and brush the top of the sandwich with oil.

Place your cuban sandwich in one skillet, then take the other hot skillet off of its burner, and place it on top of the sandwich and press.

It ain't Hialea, but it is a pretty good imitation. The hot bottom of the top skillet will act as a press. Unless you make cuban sandwiches every day, this works quite well.

Back
Top Bottom