kitchen catalog temptation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
How do you deal with thumbing through your favorite kitchen catalog? Lusting after page after page of shiny new cooking stuff that you know you don't need...
It's almost as bad as having a girly magazine around , only better...
1 you can leave it out in plain view
2 you can look at it with her around and even have her look at it with fear or reprisal or her getting jealous
3 You can get things out of it or if you get real lucky
4 she'll get you something out of it, and
5 in either case, how ever you get it, you can bring it home and eventually the one voice you here will become silent. :)

Having said all that...
who else besides Chef's has a good mail order catalog?

I think about my pay check.
15.gif

Should have know up front you were getting the Chef's catalog! :LOL:

Cooking.com has a good one, too ....

I look through them once while having my morning coffee and then they go down to the dumpster ..... can't afford to have them sit around long enough for me to start thinking and trying to justify buying something.

Besides - I get the sale info on e-mail ..... ;)

Cooking hasn't found me yet, but almost everyone else has - Chef's, Williams-Sonoma, SurLaTable, etc., etc. plus everyone else with a pot, pan or knife to sell. My mailman asked me if I was a professional chef. I told him if he kept lipping off I was going to invite him over for dinner. :LOL:
PS: I have two lists - what I want and what I need. I buy only what I need.

I do not like ordering from a catalog because it is less expensive elsewhere because you do not pay shipping and handling. I usually look for cooking items at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

norgeskog, I don't have a choice because I'm in the boondocks, but I typically buy at a good price with no shipping and no sales tax. I'd support the local economy if they had what I wanted, but in terms of cooking paraphenalia, they usually don't.

Trust me, I don't have any good advice for you. It's so easy to get online and just order something!!! :oops:

Buying kitchen stuff is much better than buying clothes - the kitchen stuff always fits!!

Otter said:
norgeskog, I don't have a choice because I'm in the boondocks, but I typically buy at a good price with no shipping and no sales tax. I'd support the local economy if they had what I wanted, but in terms of cooking paraphenalia, they usually don't.

Sorry Otter, you are out there. If I did not have access to the stores I too would have to order from the books. Ever watch QVC. I have purchased a number of their brand kitchen stuff that you cannot find elsewhere. The cooking part is called In The Kitchen

Well, norgeskog - I have several places to shop around me ... but sometimes on-line (even with S&H) is cheaper. Maybe that is why it's called "shopping"?

I too get the online updates for sales from chefs catalog. The thing I like about the catalogs is they are easier to navigate than the websites, easier to hold than the laptop and I can take it with me everywhere. Also I tend to like unique stuff that you can't find most places . Oh well such is the curse. I like power tools too and I have most all of those that I want.

I too get the online updates for sales from chefs catalog. The thing I like about the catalogs is they are easier to navigate than the websites, easier to hold than the laptop and I can take it with me everywhere. Also I tend to like unique stuff that you can't find most places . Oh well such is the curse. I like power tools too and I have most all of those that I want.

I understand - I'm a man, too. You grab that first cup of coffee in the morning, grab a cooking catalog, and you head for your "sanctuary" ...

My problem isn't the catalogs,, it's their online "sales". I let them send me e-mail notice of all their neat "too good to pass up" sales... and once my mouse sees something, he/she goes click crazy...

Mouse just committed me to a panini grill (I just wrote about it in "Cookware and Accessories" under the panini question so I won't repeat the story here).

I need to take my mouse to "KA" Kitchenaholics Anonymous or something.. I should probably attend myself too. Seems I just can't pass up a new toy.. hopefully I'll outgrow it :)

All I do is look at the junk I already bought and 99 times out of 100, I come to my senses.

If you think ignoring a cook's catalogue is hard....try walking into the 2 stores I own and not want to bring EVERY new toy I find home to "play with"....I would but the DW would not approve.......we have 2 very well stocked kitchen areas and as hardware stores actually are starting to get some "kitchen" stores refer people to us for hard to find things.

pst1can said:
If you think ignoring a cook's catalogue is hard....try walking into the 2 stores I own and not want to bring EVERY new toy I find home to "play with"....I would but the DW would not approve.......we have 2 very well stocked kitchen areas and as hardware stores actually are starting to get some "kitchen" stores refer people to us for hard to find things.

that's why I could never own a bookstore, pst1can!

Mudbug....bookstore...my second weakest moment!!!! If the DW wants to go to the mall, I just tell her to meet me in the bookstore...she can take hours....who cares!!! lol

I get almost all of my pocket books in Costco, almost half price and they have all the newest.

Back
Top Bottom