Kitchen day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Whew! I'm bushed! I just spent two hours processing rhubarb. I made a giant strawberry/rhubarb crisp (13x18) to take to a BBQ tomorrow. I did 4 small (6x9) ones that are in the freezer, got a big round one in the fridge to do maybe for dinner tonight (might freeze that one too, haven't decided yet) and two freezer bags with 6 cups each in them.

While I was doing that I was also tending to my smoked salmon. (Still working on that)

My rhubarb bush is STILL enormous. I could probably do as much again and it would just whittle it down to "normal" size. Its apparently been the perfect weather to produce massive rhubarb this year. Why did I wait so long to do it all! I'm an idiot.

I wore down two knives doing it all too so now I have another little chore waiting for me.

Some days are just cooking days aren't they? Ahhhh! I'm a bit tired, but satisfied. I'll probably finish my tea and jump right back in with something else now.

I know what you mean, Alix. I spent most of my day in the kitchen, too. And...did two loads of laundry, one of which I hung out on the line outside.

I made a caramel pie, 17 huge cinnamon rolls, blanched green beans and lima beans, processed another day on my 14-day pickles, and sliced some zucchini to dehydrate for zucchini chips. Glenn also brought in a big picking of blackberries that have been rinsed and are ready for the freezer.

Whew! I'm ready to sit down.

I am doing laundry too (although I'm using my dryer so everything doesn't end up smelling like salmon!) and am considering cleaning a bathroom or two. LOL!!

Katie, I'd love your caramel pie recipe! I'm planning a pie marathon in the next while. Does it freeze well?

I have no idea how the pie freezes. It's a new recipe I just found and thought I'd give it a try. Believe it or not, it's a one ingredient recipe. Yep, just one.

You put 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk into a 1-quart crock-pot and cook for 4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes, then pour into a graham cracker crust and refrigerate.

I was skeptical when I read the recipe, but thought I'd give it a try. It's really amazing. The milk really turns into caramel after 4 hours. Of course, I added a teaspoon of vanilla paste before I poured it into my graham cracker crust. I have a hard time leaving recipes alone.

I just put it into the fridge, so we'll see what the jury says when I serve it. Probably tomorrow, because I don't think it will be chilled enough for tonight's dessert.

It's supposed to be served with whipped topping or sweetened whipped cream and sprinkled with mini chocolate chips. After my taste I got when I licked the scraper, I think it's going to be great.

I can do that. I bet it would be good with oreo crumb crust too. Mmmmmm. Gonna give that a go this week. Thanks Katie!

yep

some days are cooking days, i hate it when the dishes pile up so fast i have no more room for the frenzied cooking vibe im in. then i have to stop and do some scrubbing:LOL:

Maxine would have this to say about it:

"I hate housework! You make the beds, do the dishes
and six months later you have to do it all over again!!

"IF you can't stand the heat, go to my kitchen. It's a pretty safe bet I won't be cooking."

"I read recipes the same way I read science fiction.
I get to the end and think...Well, that's not gonna happen!"

I feel guilty reading what all got done today. I got up late. Checked a few things online. Fell asleep on the sofa watching a movie. And now, I'm waiting for the Chinese food delivery guy to arrive. Ah, vacation... Then again, this living room isn't going to paint itself. I'll get paint tomorrow. I will. I will. :ermm:

~Kathleen

I made 2 pies. That is all. I was soo busy doing that I never cooked dinner. I finally got starved and made a bologna and cheese sandwich. I am waiting for the Kitchen Fairy to show up and clean up the mess!!

Good luck with that Patty:LOL: My kitchen fairy is out on the tractor so I guess I get wings tonight:)
kades

well i over did it today. cleaned up kitchen, stove top etc. mopped floor and bathroom clean and mopped. then i took a taxi to store. needed bday cards and a few groceries. i got way to tired , my feet swelled and i called my son for a ride, instead of waiting for taxi. the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. going to bed early. it was very hot, hotter than i realized sitting here in the air conditioning.

Back
Top Bottom