Labor Day Sep. 3 Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Mikey

Sous Chef
Hey guys its been awhile ,

for me?

im trying to home make some menu items from where i work, tonight is spicy chicken and brown rice.

Too hot to cook here. I might pick up some KFC and see what looks good at the supermarket deli in the way of sides. The big problem is that the a/c went out in the restaurant that dh works in and a new one is on order. Meanwhile, he hit every discount, department and home building store in a 25 mile radius and they are all out of fans, so he had to take both of ours to try to make things bearable for his employees. We have a ceiling fan and ds and I spend lots of time under it.

Going to grill steaks, shrimp, portabella's/onions, green tomatoes, corn on the cob and garlic bread. Later, ice cream sandwich.

Last edited:
Pan fried pork loin chops, with White rice and wild rice done in asafoetida and saffron.

This has got to be the strangest labor day ever! We're not cooking out nor having anyone over. It's a toss up right now between my spicy fish stew and spaghetti - it's embarrassing actually to even mention those two things on Labor Day!

kitchenelf said:
It's a toss up right now between my spicy fish stew and spaghetti

Spicy fish stew sounds good! Maybe ya could fry up some catfish to go with the spaghetti:ermm: If ya do't have any catfish...Then the stew is the ticket!!;)

Enjoy!

I feel kind of silly making beef carbonade on Labor day, but heck, food is food..So the beef over polenta cooked in chicken broth with butter and parm added,and then topped with sauteed mushrooms, a green salad, daughter showed up with a sea food salad,platter of sliced melons and grapes, a plate of mozzarella and sliced tomatoes with basil and evoo, grilled zucchini brushed with a garlic evoo, avocado dip and sliced baguette, beforehand,dessert a peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream..
kadesma;)

This has got to be the strangest labor day ever! We're not cooking out nor having anyone over. It's a toss up right now between my spicy fish stew and spaghetti - it's embarrassing actually to even mention those two things on Labor Day!

Maybe I'll make you feel better, elf. We're having leftover layered smoked turkey salad from a couple of days ago. We've been lazy all weekend and ate like royalty at lunch on Saturday for our date day. Guess that was our Labor Day food event.

We were so full from Saturday's lunch we had popcorn for supper later in the evening.:LOL:

I feel kind of silly making beef carbonade on Labor day, but heck, food is food..So the beef over polenta cooked in chicken broth with butter and parm added,and then topped with sauteed mushrooms, a green salad, daughter showed up with a sea food salad,platter of sliced melons and grapes, a plate of mozzarella and sliced tomatoes with basil and evoo, grilled zucchini brushed with a garlic evoo, avocado dip and sliced baguette, beforehand,dessert a peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream..
kadesma;)

Lets see...If I eat a few ribs, then drive fast, I can in be California in time for the peach cobbler and nilla ice cream!! If I'm late, save me a big bowl of cobbler Miss CJ:)

I'm seeing double. :)

Since it's about 110 deg out, eating indoors - plenty of leftovers from this meal I posted yesterday:

BBQ sauced ribs (they came out great), cole slaw, corn on the cob (w lime and butter), mustard potato salad, layered pasta salad (bow ties, tomatoes, mushrooms, mozzarella chunks, black olives, Italian dressing, sprinkled w fresh-grated parmesan). Lots of fruit (always around here), grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries. Cold crab salad, Sangria, lemon cheesecake and peach pie with vanilla ice cream sprinkled w cinnamin. Appies - guacamole with homemade tortilla chips and watermelon w balsamic & feta salad.

Most of the ribs are gone... so cooking up some bacon, blue cheese, avocado burgers with lettuce and tomatoes. Need some more Sangria.

Last edited:
Spicy fish stew sounds good! Maybe ya could fry up some catfish to go with the spaghetti:ermm: If ya do't have any catfish...Then the stew is the ticket!!;)

Enjoy!

It is indeed spicy fish stew UB! Tilapia would be the fish used. Ummmmmmmmm - I'll think about spaghetti and fried catfish together..ok, I've thought about it :sick: :LOL:

Katie - even the smoked turkey salad seems a bit more Labor Day-ish! :chef: We're eating good food so what's really to complain about, right? Cheers!

Last edited:
kitchenelf said:
I'll think about spaghetti and fried catfish together..ok, I've thought about it :sick: :LOL:

:LOL:The first time I heard of this paring, my reaction was Do what???:rolleyes:
So, I gave it a twirl. To my surprise, it wasn't half bad. When you think about it, most folks eat (tomato) ketchup with fried fish, so a pasta dish with tomato sauce kinda flows:ermm: Not my favorite side dish with catfish, but hey sometimes ya gotta think outside the box.

We had ribs, too, Uncle Bob, along with baked beans and rice. The big kids are here so it was a big family dinner with so much laughter, I could hardly eat!

we had a few plans for the holiday weekend, but my little guy got sick, so we stayed in yesterday and i was able to get some weeding and harvesting done in and around the garden, and some cooking from it's bounty.

i made sausage, peppers, and onions in homemade sauce for lunch, and eggplant parm with penne for dinner.

i'm not the biggest fan of eggplant, but this was very good. the eggplants were washed, sliced, breaded, fried, and layered with cheese and homemade sauce and baked, all within an hour of their picking. you can't get more fresh and local, and it showed.

I had a brunch of my special huevos rancheros, made with black beans and some Farmer John chorizo I happened to have in the freezer.

For supper I torched a couple of fillets mignon on the barbeque grill, along with a couple of corn coblets, added potato salad and mixed greens salad as side dishes, and topped it off with a cappucino lava cake and some iced coffee (made with leftover breakfast coffee).

I know this is late, but my husband suggested we pick up some brats and buns and make some slaw for a couple of older, shut-in friends. When I mentioned it to them, they were very happy, and mentioned that it was a double birthday. When I called their younger relatives, it turned out to be a triple birthday. (I think we celebrated 8, 38, and 76 years old). Wound up with 20 or so people. Everyone had a great time. We're big believers in potluck, so everyone brought something, my husband and I doing the main part of the meal. It was great fun all around.

Back
Top Bottom