Lamby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Last night we went out to our new favorite Chinese restaurant with my parents. Recently there have been authentic Chinese restaurants opening (YAY). You will not find things like General Gao's chicken or Egg Rolls or things like that on the menu (aside for a few things).

Anyway, my daughters favorite stuffed animal is a little lamb that she carries everywhere. Well one of the dishes we ordered last night (which was amazingly delicious) was a cumin lamb. Now my wife has a hard time eating lamb. It is all a mental thing. She likes the taste, but can't bring herself to get past the mental image. She is a pretty adventurous eater though and keeps on trying to try it.

Well the lamb comes to the table and I take a serving and proclaim it to be the best dish of the night. My mom was sitting next to my daughter with my wife on the other side. DD was not all that interested in trying it and my wife was about to take a bite. So what does my mom ask my daughter to try to get her to taste it? Rachel, don't you want to eat lamby? My wife instantly drops her fork and pushes her plate away. Rachels eyes get wide and says NO WAY. Dad and I look and mom and ask what she could have been thinking :rolleyes:

I think my wife was more scarred than my daughter. It is too bad because they missed out on a delicious dish.

that's too bad GB, yes, what was mom thinking?

Even though Rachel is too young for this rule, at our house you are allowed to ask once, what's in this dish? If you get no relpy, you are not allowed to ask again.:cool: Just protects the cook:rolleyes:

I can relate. Once, long ago, I prepared rabbit for Buck. The dish came out well and he was enjoying it until he asked me what it was. I casually answered that it was rabbit. He ceased eating and grumbled something like, "Oh, Thumper!"

We haven't had rabbit since.:LOL:

Funny, but our little dog Grommit has had a favorite stuffed toy lamb for over ten years now, named Lamby. One day, when we had gyros take-out, Grommit, who is forever begging for handouts, wouldn't even enter the kitchen, where we were eating. I kept asking what was wrong, but he wouldn't say! LOL! We figured he somehow knew we were eating lamb(y)! I've never bought him the popular lamb & rice dog foods because of that one experience. Though I really do know that he couldn't possibly understand any correlation between Lamby and gyros, I figured there must be some aversion to lamb.

BC

Almost all of my kids have been non-meat eaters for a period of time because of happenings like this. It kills me. I remember when I was trying to get Fisher to try a BLT sandwich and one of his big brothers told him to try it because the bacon would squeal when he bit into it. Of course, that led to where bacon comes from. Well, Fisher loves piglets! He thinks they are the cutest little things on earth. The look on his face when he realized I had been cooking pigs and feeding them to him most of his life!

My kid was totally the opposite. I brought home a some tiny little bunny rabbits (to raise for dinner). They were sweet, fluffy little handfuls. When I showed them to my youngest, his first comment was, "Can we eat them tonight?"

Sparrowgrass, your kids reminded me of a story I once heard Alfred Hitchcock tell.

A little boy had a pet hamster that was old and not looking too well. His father wanted to try and prepare his son for it's probable death. He sat the boy down and explained that when our pets get old and their bodies wear out, the body dies and the spirit goes to heaven. He went on to say that if the worst should happen, they would prepare a lovely wooden box and paint it with gold paint and decorate it with little "jewels". Then they would find a shady spot in the garden and dig a deep hole. They would call all the little boy's friends together and have a burial in the garden so that his pet would have a fitting send-off. Afterward, they would have drinks and cookies and tell wonderful stories about the little hamster. As the father finished, he looked into his son's face, who had been listening raptly throughout. Then the little boy leaned forward and whispered "Let's kill him, Daddy."

Well, my daughter schleps a duck alone, last time we were in Chinese place we ordered some Pecking duck. I told her that this is duck and ask if she wants some. She looked at her duck, then at the one on the table and said that it is impossible for it to be a duck as it did not look anything alike and bit into it. After she finished with her portion she said 'for sure it was not the duck, because she tried to bite her duck in the past and the one she ate taste much better". Thank G-d she is not like her mother who doesn't eat whole bunch of things.

:) I also can't bring myself to eat rabbit or lamb
A few years back the guest services mangager decided to throw an end of season party at his house for the seasonal staff. When he ( greek decent) was at the office he told DH it was hard but he finally found some lamb for the party to which DH replied " lamb? what happened did they run out of puppies and kittens?" I know it's awful but it was funny.

For awhile, one of the only healthy things I could get my youngest daughter to eat was tuna - I'd make her tuna salad on a mini-bagel. That is, until her older sister told her, "you know that's fish, right?", and she dropped the bagel in horror.

Back
Top Bottom