Last Dinner in January - Sunday - 1-31-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
The mercury topped 50 this afternoon (and it's January 31 in northern New England!), so I fired up the grill (again) and made cheeseburgers, oven fries, and cole slaw. Last year at this time I gave up trying to shovel out the grill due to the heavy snowfalls. It's supposed to be even warmer tomorrow, so I'll be out on the bike. Runoff across the roads from melting snow it pretty much gone.

Can you believe it's February tomorrow?

Leftover chicken chili and potato salad here.

We're having the old stand by, two brined thick pork chops done in a skillet and finished with a shallot/Dijon/wine/cream sauce. A little casserole of doctored up bread stuffing for the SC and roasted asparagus for us both.

Last edited:
Instead of asparagus tonight for the veggie, I forgot about the two fresh field artichokes the SC brought home yesterday. Gosh they were good, with the dip we like...(mayo/fresh lemon juice/dill weed/garlic)

I had leftover roasted chicken to use up, so I sautéed chopped onion, celery and bell peppers, made gravy in the pan with homemade chicken stock and made a side of Uncle Ben's rice and wild rice (a freebie from Kroger). Heated diced chicken in the gravy and served it with toasted yeast rolls.

Mmmm....fresh artichokes...sounds so good. They're not here quite yet. :yum:

Chicken thighs were on sale yesterday for .79/lb, so I bought 7 pounds. :) I vacuum sealed them in the food saver but left out a couple to roast for tonight's dinner. Sautéed some fresh asparagus on the side, and had a sliced mango and Fuji apple to round it out. Mint chocolate chip ice cream will follow. :yum:

We had too much of a loaf of bread to finish as toast, etc, so I made a small casserole of "overnight" French toast. We had that with homemade apple sauce and a few breakfast sausages. The plate color may have been bland, but the flavors were really good. :yum: Just enough of the French toast for one breakfast tomorrow. Good thing I'm up way before Himself. :whistling:

...Chicken thighs were on sale yesterday for .79/lb, so I bought 7 pounds...
I suppose you don't want me to tell you that the corner store has them for 49 cents/pound. *covers head with hands* I'll get a few packages for Himself, since he loves them, while I'll stock up tomorrow when I hit the store that is selling bone in/skin on breasts for 99 cents. I should not be adding things to my freezer, since I'm trying to empty it, but I just can not pass up deals like those!

Chicken stir fry with red bell, onion, snow peas, mushies, onion, and baby corn over Thai noodles.

The temperature went up to 75°, and will be just as warm today. I hope it holds through Wednesday when I make my monthly marathon shopping trips.

I was going to make my version of tuna casserole I use spinach instead of green peas, which I can't stand.

I had a sudden brainstorm to substitute salmon for the tuna since I had some on hand. What a difference. I liked it better than using tuna. I'll make it again that way. YUM!

They aren't in the store here yet Cheryl, but these were fresh out of the field with leaves still attached to the long stem. Gosh, they were so tender and delicious! :)

Great buy on the thighs!! Love that!!!

What a treat to find such fresh artichokes! Sure do wish our little farmers market carried them. I should ask next time I'm there. I think the best artichokes I've ever had were from TJ's - they were tightly closed and sooo tender. I think the ones from the grocery store sit around too long in storage before they get to the public, although this is a good time to start keeping an eye out for fresh ones. Yum...never get tired of those babies. :yum:

CG, what a fabulous deal on chicken - .49/lb, wow!

I had leftover roasted chicken to use up, so I sautéed chopped onion, celery and bell peppers, made gravy in the pan with homemade chicken stock and made a side of Uncle Ben's rice and wild rice (a freebie from Kroger). Heated diced chicken in the gravy and served it with toasted yeast rolls.

Forgot to post my dinner picture! It's so pretty with the four colors of bell peppers. I used 1/4 of each pepper.

A few weeks ago, I made yeast roll dough in the bread machine. I misread the amount of water needed, so when I went to check it, it was ridiculously soupy! So I winged it, adding more flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, and they came out beautifully. However, the I left the second pan to rise too long in the sunroom fridge, so the rolls kind of stuck together in one big mass. I baked them that way, then cut them into pieces and froze them. That's why it's squarish ;)

Attachments

• 2016-01-31 19.10.49.jpg
    2016-01-31 19.10.49.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 126
Back
Top Bottom