Laughing Stock Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What three preparations do you think sounds best?

• Total voters
A rillette is similar to a pate. It's a type of French preperation called Charcuterie which includes forcemeats, galantines, etc. and was quite popular in traditional Garde Manger methods. Many traditional French methods are making a renaissance of sorts. Because most pork cuts are usually lean, some type of fat is usually introduced, hence the foie gras.​

And yeah, pork cheeks are really pork cheeks.​

Rillette

A highly spiced spread made of meat or poultry (traditionally pork, goose or duck, but also fish and rabbit) that has been cooked in seasoned fat and then shredded or pounded into a paste to be served cold. To season the rillette after it is made, it is commonly placed in ramekins and a thin layer of fat is spread over the top to seal it during a storage and aging period. This meat paste can be served as an appetizer that is spread over crackers or bread.

Last edited:
wow.. when I read those.. I am like " huh"??? I don't care for horseradish, .. braised pork cheeks? hmmmmm exactly which cheeks are we talking about?
Braised Pork Belly .. ick! LOL
Vinegar .. hmmm sounds sour
don't know what this is " Chantrelle Jus, Marscapone and Chive Grits"

oooooook I feel really stupid here

Debbie, y'all probably don't have grits up there in Canada. Basically, it's cornmeal mush, made from white corn. It used to be a breakfast thing, but creative chefs are beginning to use it for main dishes, as the Italians do with polenta. If you've ever eaten polenta, it's the same thing, only made from yellow corn.
Chantrells are an exotic mushroom, and jus means juice from the meat, so I'd say to use your imagination on that one. Perhaps he uses dried chantrells, soaks them in hot water, and uses the juice from them.
Mascarpone is an Italian cream cheese...I've never tried it, but I believe I've heard that it's sweeter than our cream cheese.
I'm guessing that the vinegar Iron Chef is using is some fancy kind of balsamic vinegar, which as actually somewhat sweet.

You could've actually chosen three...it was a sampler type entree with three demi portions.

Regarding the questions on prep:

Grits is similar to polenta but whereas polenta is made from the whole kernals, grits is only made from the hominy. The marscapone cheese is a sweet Italian cream cheese (if you've ever eaten tiramisu you've eaten marscapone) that can be used in savory dishes, and not just desserts if done right.

The banyuls vinegar was used in a reduction which concentrates the flavors and sweetness. It's basically reduced with sugar and red wine, plus aromatics and spices for flavor.

The chantrelle jus is made with a combination of fresh and dried mushrooms, the mushroom liquid, veal stock, chicken stock, white wine, aromatics, herbs, and spices. The liquid is then strained and reduced to concentrate the flavors. The mushrooms are then added back in, and the sauce gets finished with butter and seasoned to taste when ordered.

Pork cheeks and pork belly are two of the most flavorful cuts of the pig. Slow cooking methods are best when preparing these two cuts.

Back
Top Bottom