Lazy Sunday Supper ~ 10/24/21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
DH voted for a "no cook day" for me, so it was cold cereal this morning and then we three went out to Linner (late lunch/early dinner) at our local Asian Bistro.

IMG_0990.jpg

Mom ordered her new favorite dish, The House Special Lo Mein.
It's loaded with Veg, Shrimp, Chicken and Beef.

IMG_0991.jpg

DH had 3 different Maki Sushi Rolls,
Salmon, Cucumber and new-to-him Cucumber & Eel.
There was also a bowl of Miso Soup and Steamed Edamame

IMG_0992.jpg

I decided on Sesame Chicken with an upsell of Lo Mein.
Both Mom and I said it was really Orange Chicken, but the
waitstaff said, no this is there Sesame Sauce which is very popular here.
I only tasted Orange.
shrug.png
Oh well, it was tasty and loads of it too!

What did you have for your Lazy Sunday?

We had leftover pizza. I had less leftover, because I had ordered a smaller pizza, earlier in the week. I also had a piece of toasted wholegrain and sunflower seed bread, topped with creton. First store bought creton that is actually yummy. I like other stuff from that company, so I gave it a shot.

From Wiktionary

creton (plural cretons)

(Canada, New England) A spreadable paste made from pork fat, ground pork trimmings, onions.

There will probably be nachos later.

I was having a craving for something Indian, after trimming all those curry leaves!:LOL: So today made a mixed vegetable kootu, using my smallest butternuts, and the end of my okra, plus a small sweet potato that was sprouting, and a small potato that was sprouting.

I made this in the Instant Pot, using slow cook mode, starting out with 3 different dal, and a few steel cut oats (maybe 1/3 c left when I filled the glass jar), some water, salt, and turmeric, for about 90 minutes. While that cooked, I made that raita, I got a couple of things done outside, then I got the seasoning paste ready, and the vegetables peeled and cut up. The okra went in for about 20 minutes, then that seasoning paste, and the squash and potatoes. That cooked another 20 minutes on low cook high, then I added that tarka mix, and let it sit on off about 5 minutes. Served it with some sorghum/rye bread sticks, plus that basic raita, using some of my last mint from outside.
Ingredients for the seasoning paste for the butternut kootu, fresh and dry peppers, ginger, and cumin, followed by coconut. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ground up paste, after the coconut was added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

3 dal, plus some oats, cooked for the kootu, after cooking the okra briefly, and adding the butternut. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The tarka for the kootu, cooked in coconut oil, with shallots added at the end, to slow down the cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished mixed vegetable kootu, topped with some curry leaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Super simple cucumber raita, with just some cumin and mint, with the yogurt. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A tour-de-force!

I made street tacos with ground buffalo, grated white cheddar, chopped onion and tomato, shredded lettuce, and salsa, in flour tortillas.

Simple, easy, quick, and delicious. With a bottle of Negra Modelo.

I made a pot of escarole, white beans, and sausage soup. Easy peasant food, if you don't count how long it takes to get all the sand out of the escarole. Topped our bowls with grana padano shavings.

IMG_20211024_212726300_HDR.jpg

Lasagna - DD's had turkey and mushrooms. Hub and I had meatballs and mushrooms. Homemade Rosemary Focaccia on the side.

lasagna_102421_1_IMG_8822.jpg

lasagna_102421_2_IMG_8824.jpg

I'm making an effort to clear out the freezers. Found a quart of chicken and rice soup which was delicious. Harvested 1/4 of a recently made loaf of Italian bread that was heavy on butter and garlic and cut it into cubes for instant croutons.

I tried making chicken wings in the new air fryer. They were good, but I think I messed up by pre-heating the fryer. The book said it needed to be pre-heated, so I did. Then I set it to "Wings" and it said, "PH"...so I guess it automatically does that. Sigh. Anyway, with the wings, we had a selection of sauces, BBQ, Hot and Ranch. Along side was homemade coleslaw I made earlier, the last of the freezer twice baked taters and more l/o cornbread biscuits. It was a good meal, but next time, I think they will be great!

I tried making chicken wings in the new air fryer. They were good, but I think I messed up by pre-heating the fryer. The book said it needed to be pre-heated, so I did. Then I set it to "Wings" and it said, "PH"...so I guess it automatically does that. Sigh. Anyway, with the wings, we had a selection of sauces, BBQ, Hot and Ranch. Along side was homemade coleslaw I made earlier, the last of the freezer twice baked taters and more l/o cornbread biscuits. It was a good meal, but next time, I think they will be great!

I'm the only one who likes wings in our house, but ya know,
now that I have the AF, I may do that just for me at lunch time :idea:
I love the drum-ettes!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom