"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Like Water for Chocolate

When it comes to movies that revolve around cooking I'm torn between two being my absolute favourites: Like Water for Chocolate and Babette's Feast. A very very very close second is Chocolat.

Anyone else enjoy those? Anyone else have any other favourites?

Oh how I loved when the cloth fell from the turtle for the turtle soup...

__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
Sous Chef
 
SharonT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 519
I so enjoy Babette's Feast - an amazing film - I watch at least once a year. Babette's Caille en Sarcophage
__________________
Sharon
SharonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
i thought water for chocolate was "waterford chocolate".

hey, those glass blowin' bastids are making chocolate now.

as far as foodie movies, my absolute favourite is "fatso".

just about every good mafia movie has scenes that make me hungry, and brings back memories of my childhood italian friends. like in casino when joe pesci's mom wakes up in the middle of the night as he's borrowing her good chef's knife, and she offers to cook a meal for them.
i can't count how many times we got home late after a night of bar hopping, or got up before the crack of dawn to go fishing or crabbing, and "ma" would be there, in her curlers and housedress, making everything from peppers and eggs, or cc-l-t's (chicken cutlet, lettuce, tomato, mayo) to steak sammiches with cheesey gravy fries.
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:55 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
Chopstix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,323
Babette's Feast is supposed to be good. I must find it.

VeraBlue, have you seen Vatel? It's about a French genius chef in the court of Louis XIV. Starring Gerard Depardieu (as Vatel the chef) and Uma Thurman. You see how food was meticulously prepared and served in the royal court of that age. You see how the chef averts near disasters inside and outside the kitchen just to please the king and his huge entourage. There's a part there where a problem in an ingredient leads to the creation of Chantilly cream, attributed to Vatel. Overall, a pretty good depiction of the mind-boggling excesses of 17th century court life. (A French guy I know who's proud of his heritage raved about this movie.)
__________________
'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:58 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
Chopstix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i thought water for chocolate was "waterford chocolate".
Bucky, as long as you know that the Sistine Chapel is not the Sixteenth chapel
__________________
'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:08 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
umm, i don't get it. there were only fitteen (15)
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:28 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Thanks Sharon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT
I so enjoy Babette's Feast - an amazing film - I watch at least once a year. Babette's Caille en Sarcophage
What a wonderful link! I think that may be the first autumn meal I make this year. Thank you!
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:30 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
all that chinese take out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i thought water for chocolate was "waterford chocolate".

hey, those glass blowin' bastids are making chocolate now.

as far as foodie movies, my absolute favourite is "fatso".

just about every good mafia movie has scenes that make me hungry, and brings back memories of my childhood italian friends. like in casino when joe pesci's mom wakes up in the middle of the night as he's borrowing her good chef's knife, and she offers to cook a meal for them.
i can't count how many times we got home late after a night of bar hopping, or got up before the crack of dawn to go fishing or crabbing, and "ma" would be there, in her curlers and housedress, making everything from peppers and eggs, or cc-l-t's (chicken cutlet, lettuce, tomato, mayo) to steak sammiches with cheesey gravy fries.
I am a huge Anne Bancroft fan, so naturally I've seen Fatso a couple of hundred times. Amazing how all that chinese take out was $40....

'you don't know how to ride your plate, junior'
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:32 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Vatel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
Babette's Feast is supposed to be good. I must find it.

VeraBlue, have you seen Vatel? It's about a French genius chef in the court of Louis XIV. Starring Gerard Depardieu (as Vatel the chef) and Uma Thurman. You see how food was meticulously prepared and served in the royal court of that age. You see how the chef averts near disasters inside and outside the kitchen just to please the king and his huge entourage. There's a part there where a problem in an ingredient leads to the creation of Chantilly cream, attributed to Vatel. Overall, a pretty good depiction of the mind-boggling excesses of 17th century court life. (A French guy I know who's proud of his heritage raved about this movie.)
No, I haven't but now I feel surely I must. Thanks for the tip.
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:21 AM   #10
Head Chef
 
kyles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 1,181
Send a message via MSN to kyles
I adore Babette's Feast, I too watch it every year, it's so beautifully shot, like a painting. I love the character development in what is really just a few days. I always feel a bit sorry for the turtle though......

I love Chocolat too...........but I'm not sure whether the appearance of Johnny Depp has something to do with my fondness for the film......
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
marmalady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,SouthCarolina
Posts: 2,642
Can't believe no one has mentioned Big Night - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115678/ !
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
Sous Chef
 
SharonT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 519
Another favorite of mine is Mostly Martha

__________________
Sharon
SharonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles
I adore Babette's Feast, I too watch it every year, it's so beautifully shot, like a painting. I love the character development in what is really just a few days. I always feel a bit sorry for the turtle though......

I love Chocolat too...........but I'm not sure whether the appearance of Johnny Depp has something to do with my fondness for the film......
of course it does!
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
mudbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
Eat Drink Man Woman
__________________
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:09 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,572
I like all that were mentioned but especially like water for chocolate and babettes feast
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #16
Head Chef
 
Chopstix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,323
Tortilla Soup, with Hector Elizondo as a latino chef is nice too.
__________________
'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:51 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, soon to be Boston
Posts: 130
I really like Chocolat... such a good movie! Haven't seen the other two, though! I'll put them on my movies-to-watch list, thanks!

-Tim
SNPiccolo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #18
Sous Chef
 
SharonT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
Tortilla Soup, with Hector Elizondo
I like that one also! The food stylists for Tortilla Soup were Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, who were "Too Hot Tamales" on FoodTV network time back.

It's a remake of Eat Drink Man Woman.
__________________
Sharon
SharonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #19
Assistant Cook
 
kats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 47
Like Water for Chocolate, for sure.

(and I just added it to my Blockbuster list, so I can watch it again)
__________________
Kats
(www.onfoodanddrinks.com)
kats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,970
Oooo. I'm going to have to look for Vatel, I've never heard of it. I've always wanted to throw a dinner party and re-create Babette's Feast. I think that's a little ambitious for me though. I love food movies. Isn't there another Italian/American movie? I'm going to have to ask hubby. Seems to me there is one we're missing.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.