Local Food Traditions, History and Myths...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KAYLINDA:

A milk shake is one of those items that is different in different parts of the country. I think that in most of the USA, a milk shake does have ice cream in it. However, in this area (southern New England) a milk shake is ice creamless.

We have what we call frappes. That's the equivalent of a milk shake with ice cream.

It's just milk and syrup whipped up in a blender. A chocolate milk shake would have milk and chocolate syrup in it. If you add chocolate ice cream then you have a chocolate frappe.

In New England, in addition to jimmies and frappes, we have Boston baked beans - which contain no tomato. The Campbell's version does not qualify.

Then there's New England Clam Chowder - that also contains no tomato (if it has tomato in it, it's Manhatten style). This used to be a favorite until I developed a severe allergy to clams.

As a born and raised New Englander, I think our lobsters are the best. In general, we have access to lots of great seafood.

And we could get up to 2" of snow this weekend!

I finally thought of one from around here that I hadn't heard of elsewhere. It's Brunswick stew. I have to call a neighbor to find out the ingredients.

Andy, where I grew up we called your frappe a shake. Don't think we had a name for your "shake".

DugDbold said:
Constance, it is my unfortunate task to inform you that the New Orleans House is no more. Like it's namesake city it "went under". When they say things are too good to be true, they are usually right.

It was one of the most fantastic seafood buffets I ever saw..errr.. ate. But alas, time passes and restaurants often follow.
:unhappy:

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! I wonder if the one in Lexington closed also...
At least I got to eat there once...for 3 hours!

Last edited:
HappyAvocado said:
two foods that i have trouble finding when i leave california are sourdough bread (the good stuff, chewy and crusty and not soft like a hotdog bun) and jack cheese

purrfectlydevine, we have soft pretzels here, too... i used to eat them all the time at ballgames when i was a kid. a lot of public events have pretzel carts... do you eat them with mustard?

Yes, especially the ones made by a local company. They do not taste the same as Auntie Anne's or Pretzel Time. It is hard to explain the difference, but I think they are thicker and chewier. During the summer you can find them at makeshift stands along the road sold in paper bags. You can also find them at convenience stores. The local ones are eaten at room temperature and mustard is necessary.

AllenMI said:
purrfectlydevine, I wish I convince my MIL that there's a better way to make her soup. Unfortunately, she will not make it any other way than diced, raw, chicken breasts, canned corn, water, simmer for awhile, then pour in copious amounts of beaten eggs while stirring.

I forgot to mention the hard cooked eggs as they are important to the broth. That is what makes it different from chicken noodle soup, even if the soup maker uses noodles.

AllenMI said:
My MIL loves to regale me with tales of when she was young, and her parents would go to PA to visit. They always bought a shoo fly pie back. She also makes a chicken corn soup that has tons of "egg dribbles" in it, that I'm assuming is Pennsylvania Dutch. They call it chicken corn chowder, but they have no idea what real chicken corn chowder is.QUOTE]

I don't know what part of PA she visited, but I've never heard of called chicken corn chowder. Hard cooked eggs in it, yes. I wonder if what you call egg dribbles are rivels (tiny dough balls). Some cooks put them in, but my family doesn't.

DugDbold, I am at a loss to explain Lebanon bologna and sweet bologna. The only thing they have in common with Oscar Mayer bologna is that the slices are round. The texture is coarser and the taste is "sharper". Instead of pink they are a dark red or maroon color and you can see specks of fat. Several brands are smoked. Depending on the brand, the sweet bologna has sugar or honey added. Sweet bologna is sometimes called sweet Lebanon bologna. In addition to slicing for sandwiches, they are cubed and added to a party tray with cubed cheese. At the deli where I work part-time we sell 2 kinds of Lebanon bologna and 6 kinds of sweet bologna.

Food Traditions

WELL HERE IN LIL MEXICO, WEVE PRETTY MUCH GOT A WRAP ON SOME OF THE BEST PICO DE GALLO AND SALSA , CANT BEAT THE FLAME ROASTED JALAPENOS AND TOMATOES WITH THE LARGE DICE OF ONIONS, KISS O GARLIC AND MUSENT FORGET THE CILANTRO. FRESH BORRACHO BEANS, TAMALES MADE FROM EVERY IMAGINABLE TYPE OF CRITTER, (NOT REALLY), WITH REAL MASA WRAP, IT REALLY DOES ENHANCE THE FLAVOR, WITH RICE AND FRESH TORTILLAS, WITH AN ICE COLD ADULT BEVERAGE, AAHHH TEXAS...:devilish:

Not sure if there are other New Yorkers here - so I'll represent :)
It's hard to find a real bagel anywhere else (boiled, not just bread baked in a circle). We also have delicious deli meats...where the sandwiches have inches thick layers of rare roast beef and the chicken salad is made just right (with shredded chicken, not just chunks)...yum! and big fat kosher dills!!!

Oh yeah...I can't forget the New York style pizza (thin crust) - closer to the Napolitan-style pizza. The best is from an absolutely delicious place called Grimaldi's in Brooklyn (on the water). Fresh tomatoes, sauce to die for, crust just so, creamy buffalo mozz., fresh leaves of basil, delicious meats, etc.

New Orleans House

Yeah, I'm sorry. The one in Lexington died too. It was a great experiment but alas it got to the point where it was just too expensive and folks stopped participating.

One of those "food legends" that only a few of us will understand.

This is really great. I started this thread with a minimum of forethought. But it looks like it is fun for a lot of folks.

BTW, I have not gotten one single challenge to the "birthplace of the cheeseburger". That really surprises me.

Here is a recipe for Shoo Fly Pie. I've never made this. The recipe comes from one of my teacher assistants.

Bottom part:

3/4 c dark molasses
3/4 c boiling water
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Top part:

1 1/2 c flour
1/4 c shortening
1/2 c brown sugar
1 9-inch pie crust

Dissolve soda in hot water and add molasses. Combine sugar and flour and rub in shortening to make crumbs. Pour 1/3 of the liquid into the unbaked pie crust. Add 1/3 of the crumb mixture. Repeat layers until both mixtures are used, ending with crumbs. Bake at 375* for 35 minutes. Yields 1 9-inch pie.

I also have a recipe for Shoo Fly Cake. If anyone is interested, just let me know and I'll post it.

Last edited:
My favorite Essentially Oregon thing is Razor Clams. I have fond memories of chasing and digging them as a child at the beach - they're fast devils! - and they love to squirt you in the face! We'd dig them early in the morning. The grownups with shovels (what they use now - "clam guns" is cheating) and the kids with our hands. Bring 'em back and fry 'em up. Breakfast is ready!

Of course there is the delightful Dungeoness Crab as well. Once you meet live ones you have absolutely no compunction about dropping them into boiling water with crab boil.....mmmmmmmmm scrumptious!

But then there are Hood strawberries - best in the whole world hands down! We have strawberry festivals every June.

I know there are more but those come immediately to mind.

Great thread!

Andy M. said:
KAYLINDA:

A milk shake is one of those items that is different in different parts of the country. I think that in most of the USA, a milk shake does have ice cream in it. However, in this area (southern New England) a milk shake is ice creamless..

In Italy we also make milk shakes without ice cream. We make fruit milk shakes with bananas, strawberries, peaches etc. Just mix them with milk and sugar/honey, maybe a drop of vanilla essence in a blender. Makes a great breakfast on the go.

I suppose what I make is something between a milkshake and a smoothy. I use frozen fruit (of any kind) and pour into milk in a blender. It comes out thick and delicious with minimal sugar and low fat also( I use 1%). It is quite filling, also.

Back
Top Bottom