Lookin thru the "old" recipes.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
When you guys have time, I suggest you go to the categories you love the most and check out the first original pages of postings. There are some amazing recipes out there!
I looked on there yesterday and was so impressed!
I've printed out so many from the soups & pastas!!!

*It was especially nice to find pierogi-themed ones :)

Since I only joined fairly recently I have been spending a fair bit of time going through the old recipes, especially the baking category looking for bread and pizza dough recipes.

Currently on my quest to find my favourite pizza base.

Haggis -
Does Aussie pizza differ from America's version?
What are the most popular toppings? Around here it's pepperoni (*yech!)
but I prefer jalepenos, avocado & tomato.

jkath said:
Haggis -
Does Aussie pizza differ from America's version?
What are the most popular toppings? Around here it's pepperoni (*yech!)
but I prefer jalepenos, avocado & tomato.

You don't like pepperoni :!: Oh yeh :!: .....you are a Californian :LOL:

Bangbang said:
You don't like pepperoni :!: Oh yeh :!: .....you are a Californian :LOL:
Yep - I'm one of those nuts!
Although, my husband and one of my sons love it. (Must be the Italian blood!) Don't forget - I also have salt alergies :(

I am not sure. Too many people get their pizza just from the big chains (e.g. Pizza Hut/Dominos/Pizza Haven) and not enough from the small family owned pizzarias.

Generally when it comes to pizza from the pizzarias you generally get a fairly thin, crisp crust (not wafer thin though) perhaps unlike the typical new-york style droopy pizza which my mate always raves about.

As for toppings, perhaps a different approach is needed over here. There is a tendency to try and put as many things as possible on top of a pizza rather than trying to keep it simple with a small combination of ingredients that go together really well.

However I am partial to the Australiana (tomato sauce base, ham, mozarella, some onion (optional) and a couple of cracked eggs on top).

It's a bit like mexican food over here, people only have the mexican kits that you make at home, you know the ones that already have the tacos/tortillas/sauce/seasoning. There are not many mexican restaurants over here so a tiny tiny minority have had (I hesitate to call it authentic, since how would I know what authentic tastes like?) the closest you can get to authentic mexican here.

Haggis said:
However I am partial to the Australiana (tomato sauce base, ham, mozarella, some onion (optional) and a couple of cracked eggs on top)..
Cracked eggs? How are they presented? Never heard of it...but it sounds pretty interesting!

Haggis said:
It's a bit like mexican food over here, people only have the mexican kits that you make at home, you know the ones that already have the tacos/tortillas/sauce/seasoning. There are not many mexican restaurants over here so a tiny tiny minority have had (I hesitate to call it authentic, since how would I know what authentic tastes like?) the closest you can get to authentic mexican here.

Oh Haggis! I am so sorry! You are truly missing out! SoCal is so very influenced by mexican food, that I told my husband that I'd hate to ever have to move, as I'd starve! If you ever need the good recipes, please ask....there are many of us that will respond!

Sorry by cracked eggs I mean eggs that have just been cracked onto the top of the pizza, generally in a little indentation in the toppings so the egg can remain together, a little island of its own.

Its pretty much as if you fried an egg in a pan and whacked it on top of the pizza, except of course the egg jells with the rest of the toppings.

I have seen a lot of mexican-style recipes on here, I really should go through and collect them all. Unless anybody has a nice collection already and is willing to email me?

Back
Top Bottom