"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Lordy, Friday Again Already?? 10/30

This month just FLEW by....

Pulled Pork BBQ (Jack Daniel's Sauce), White Rice and Broccoli Cuts..... and the Salad........

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork, Pulled BBQ, Broccoli Cuts.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	43779

Old 10-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We're ordering Greek food.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Buffalo wings and TaterTots.

Name:	CFB8CD42-3E68-4E59-987D-6A1F58BFB0C1_1_105_c.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	43780
Old 10-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

We had garden salads and leftover quiche.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
Wannabe TV Chef

This has turned into MY favorite meal.

Name:	IMG_6527.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	43784

My version of Chicken Milanese
Barilla Three Cheese Tortellini
and a Salad (that's DH's, I had a small Caesar)

YUM!

And there's Cheesecake from Ms. Neighbor-Across-The-Street
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We're ordering Greek food.
My son and I enjoy Greek food on occasion from a local place who makes super good stuff. I looooooove their hummus. It's some of the best I've tried. I have a philosophy that if a Greek place can't do good hummus, the rest of their food isn't worth trying. But our local place makes amazing food, from the Gyros to the desserts.

What did you order? What are your favorites?
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:32 PM   #7
Head Chef

It was a soup day today, for sure! Starting last night I made a mushroom barley soup, in my Instant Pot. I put more about it on the other thread, for the IP.
https://www.discusscooking.com/forum...de-105835.html

Finished mushroom soup, with a little grated parmesan. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 10-31-2020, 12:22 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
My son and I enjoy Greek food on occasion from a local place who makes super good stuff. I looooooove their hummus. It's some of the best I've tried. I have a philosophy that if a Greek place can't do good hummus, the rest of their food isn't worth trying. But our local place makes amazing food, from the Gyros to the desserts.

What did you order? What are your favorites?
DH had a gyro platter with pita. I had a souvlaki platter. Do you mean tzaziki? We don't get hummus from Greek places. We get it from North African places. But, back to the tzaziki, they don't make great tzaziki. It's not a wonderful Greek resto. It's a Greek owned pizza place. The food is pretty good, but nothing to write home about.

Our favourites depend on the resto. Some are better at some things and others at other things. I am very fond of a nicely put together pikilia platter. I think my favourite Greek dessert is galaktoboureko.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:15 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I told Jeannie that I didn't feel like cooking and to think of where she would like to eat.

She said that we had leftover meatloaf in the fridge and open faced sandwiches would be nice. I told her that sounds great and asked if she wanted to make a gravy for them.

We both enjoyed crab linguini and Caesar salads at a fave Italian restaurant.

Tiramisu was dessert.

Ross
Old 10-31-2020, 09:41 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I told Jeannie that I didn't feel like cooking and to think of where she would like to eat.

She said that we had leftover meatloaf in the fridge and open faced sandwiches would be nice. I told her that sounds great and asked if she wanted to make a gravy for them.

We both enjoyed crab linguini and Caesar salads at a fave Italian restaurant.

Tiramisu was dessert.

Ross
Sounds like my house, but for now, we order out. The numbers here in the Montreal area are bad enough that the government closed all resto dining rooms. Take out and delivery only.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:03 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
DH had a gyro platter with pita. I had a souvlaki platter. Do you mean tzaziki? We don't get hummus from Greek places. We get it from North African places. But, back to the tzaziki, they don't make great tzaziki. It's not a wonderful Greek resto. It's a Greek owned pizza place. The food is pretty good, but nothing to write home about.

Our favourites depend on the resto. Some are better at some things and others at other things. I am very fond of a nicely put together pikilia platter. I think my favourite Greek dessert is galaktoboureko.
No, I mean hummus. I know the difference between the two

I have never in my life seen a North African restaurant. That's very interesting. I'll have to look up to see what types of foods they make.

But here, you can get hummus at any Greek restaurant. Some of the restaurants make it good, some don't. Well, actually, in my personal opinion, there are two places that make wonderful hummus and that's Gyro City Grill and Aladdin's Eatery, who specializes more in Lebanese food than Greek.

But both places serve it with pitas and, of course, drizzle it with olive oil and sprinkle on paprika. The difference between the two places is Aladdin's Eatery puts slices of tomato and cucumber on top of theirs.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
No, I mean hummus. I know the difference between the two

I have never in my life seen a North African restaurant. That's very interesting. I'll have to look up to see what types of foods they make.

But here, you can get hummus at any Greek restaurant. Some of the restaurants make it good, some don't. Well, actually, in my personal opinion, there are two places that make wonderful hummus and that's Gyro City Grill and Aladdin's Eatery, who specializes more in Lebanese food than Greek.

But both places serve it with pitas and, of course, drizzle it with olive oil and sprinkle on paprika. The difference between the two places is Aladdin's Eatery puts slices of tomato and cucumber on top of theirs.
I guess I should have written "Southern Mediterranean". Lebanese falls into the category I meant. Technically, Lebanon is not in North Africa. That stops at Egypt, going west to east.

The best hummus I have tasted is the one I make. But, hummus is still yummy when it isn't as good as the one I make.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:26 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
I guess I should have written "Southern Mediterranean". Lebanese falls into the category I meant. Technically, Lebanon is not in North Africa. That stops at Egypt, going west to east.

The best hummus I have tasted is the one I make. But, hummus is still yummy when it isn't as good as the one I make.
Oh, okay, gotcha.

I've made hummus at home a few times. I can never get it smooth enough, though, even when I take the time to remove the outer skins from the garbanzo beans. It's not bad, though.
Old 10-31-2020, 06:13 PM   #14
Head Chef

I could never make hummus smooth enough until I got my Vitamix, which makes anything super-smooth - you don't even have to rub the skins off. However, adding the EVOO early can get it bitter, with the aeration from the blades, so I add that last. Similar problem happens making mayo in a blender with EVOO.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:22 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I could never make hummus smooth enough until I got my Vitamix, which makes anything super-smooth - you don't even have to rub the skins off. However, adding the EVOO early can get it bitter, with the aeration from the blades, so I add that last. Similar problem happens making mayo in a blender with EVOO.
I never add the EVOO until the end. In fact, sometimes I don't add it at all.

I looked into the Vitamix thing. Way too expensive for me