Malbec World Day Dinner - 4/17/2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made another batch of jambalaya in the IP, this time with some salmon cubed up, in place of shrimp. The brown rice and whole oats cooked well together that first time I tried it - cooked in the same time, 13 min, plus natural pressure release time, and looked almost the same mixed together. So this time, I used more oats - half and half this time. When they were done, I just stirred everything up, and spread the salmon on top, put the cover back on, and let it steam, with the power off - worked great!

Don't think I'd call that jambalaya.:ohmy:

Don't think I'd call that jambalaya.:ohmy:
Call it what you want, but don't forget where the name Jambalaya came from: Jambon - French for ham. The ham is often replaced with andouille sausage, but then, it's technically not jambalaya, though very good. The other protein in the jambalaya is flexible - crayfish, shrimp, chicken - but the signature ingredient is ham.

I have been making jambalaya since the 70s, when I got into cooking, and when I started making a hand-written notebook with favorite recipes, Jambalaya was the first recipe in the book! I always saved the ham from family gatherings, and frozen it for jambalaya at a later date - I just had to promise to invite them over, when I made some. in recent years, I've tried to eat less white rice, but the other grains work well in this. And something that probably nobody else has ever used in this is an ingredient that I put in it last night - Syrian oregano, which has a flavor like thyme, which is an essential flavor in jambalaya. Again, it's flexible, but with one essential ingredient - ham.

Jambalaya, this time with salmon. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
I generally make jambalaya with tasso, aka tasso ham. Its like people calling something made in a crock pot "Pulled Pork".

I generally make jambalaya with tasso, aka tasso ham. Its like people calling something made in a crock pot "Pulled Pork".

I have the distinction of having lived in bth New Jersey, and in Cajun country for about ten years each. Back in Jersey, we called those little crustaceans "crayfish," and it never occurred to anyone in my family that you would eat them.

Discovering Cajun cooking in Port Arthur was a culinary epiphany for me. "Where has this been all my life??!!

So, I have to side with Craig on this one. Salmon jambalaya with brown rice and whole oats is kinda' pushing the limits. I'm not saying it isn't good -- in fact it may be excellent -- but I'm having a little trouble thinking of it as "jambalaya."

But, a lot of places down here have tried to sell "hoagies," and none of them get it right. You can't get a decent soft pretzel down here, either. ;)

CD

Back
Top Bottom