Memorial Weekend Kickoff - 5/27/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our chuckie (smoked shredded chuck roast with barbecue sauce) is on to the second stage. We smoked it to 165*F using my new wireless probe thermometer - I can sit in the kitchen and chop the veggies for the next stage while watching the temperature climb [emoji2]

DH got an aluminum pan that is too big for the smoker grate, so we're doing the next step on the grill - put the roast on a bed of chopped bell peppers, onions, garlic and jalapeños, add a bottle of a local stout, cover tightly and braise for three hours. Then I'll shred the meat, add BBQ sauce ingredients and smoke it on the grill for another hour.

In the meantime, I'm going to make a watermelon-cucumber-feta salad with lime juice and mint from the garden. 0529171209b_HDR.jpg
0529171225a_HDR.jpg
0529171431_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Memorial day plan was about Ball Park hot dogs on the grill, with grilled sweet corn, and homemade spicy potato salad.

Instead, I'm having Southern Meat loaf With Capri mixed vegetables, mashed potatoes, and a dinner roll, at Chez Hospital.

CD

Casey, on your repeated posts about the gustatory excellence of Ball Park dogs, I'll have to try them.

I'm a fan of Nathan"s, and my second choice would be Sabrettes.

I've tried Bests, but I found them kinda mushy and nasty.

What is is about Ball Park dogs of which you are devout?

Yes, they plump when you cook 'em, plump plump plump, Balllllll Park franks.

Lol, sorry. The commercial. But there's something to be said about plumping. Much like a burger gets fatter in cooking, a dog should as well, I guess. Unless it's made from more weird stuff than meat.

Last edited:
So we had walleye and then I had to do s/thing with the partridge I pulled out of the freezer. Mom has a Brat almost every morning 4 breakfast so those are off the evening menu. Had potato and Mac salads--guess those were Memorial day fare.

Casey, on your repeated posts about the gustatory excellence of Ball Park dogs, I'll have to try them.

I'm a fan of Nathan"s, and my second choice would be Sabrettes.

I've tried Bests, but I found them kinda mushy and nasty.

What is is about Ball Park dogs of which you are devout?

Yes, they plump when you cook 'em, plump plump plump, Balllllll Park franks.

Lol, sorry. The commercial. But there's something to be said about plumping. Much like a burger gets fatter in cooking, a dog should as well, I guess. Unless it's made from more weird stuff than meat.

Childhood memories. The trick is cook them on thek on the grili or on sticks over the fire, but don't burst tem open. :LOL:

Mustard and sauerkraut on mine, please.

Mustard and sauerkraut here too.

I want to pick up a couple of campfire hot dog forks for this summer. We have a little firepit in the backyard (it looks like an upturned church bell on a trivet) that we'll fire up when friends come over. I think we're having a backyard tent sleepover with some of our friends' kids next month.

Back
Top Bottom