Menu for today, Wed. 12/22/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Split pea soup (Boiled smoked ham shank bone in water for 1 ½ hours; removed bone from pot and stripped the meat off. Simmered carrots, onion, potato, smoked ham shank meat, green split peas and liquid smoke in ham stock for approx. 1 hour till peas broke up and veggies were tender.)

img_950364_0_7dc815b88ed23302d5ea8c66c0477682.jpg

Now that's my kind of split peas. Definitely a main dish.

I just have one question you mentioned before that you cook your ham hocks first, then add the split peas. Any special reason?

Now that's my kind of split peas. Definitely a main dish.

I just have one question you mentioned before that you cook your ham hocks first, then add the split peas. Any special reason?
Thank you!

No ham hocks. I boiled the ham shank bone from the other night first. Then I take it out and let it cool while the peas and veggies cook. When the bone and meat are cooled down I take the meat off. If I cooked the bone/meat with the peas then it would be very messy to take the meat off the bone.

Split pea soup (Boiled smoked ham shank bone in water for 1 ½ hours; removed bone from pot and stripped the meat off. Simmered carrots, onion, potato, smoked ham shank meat, green split peas and liquid smoke in ham stock for approx. 1 hour till peas broke up and veggies were tender.)

Yummy, yummy! I would love some of that!:pig:

We had a pork roulade with roast potatoes, salad with garlic dressing of doom, and rødkål. I made a stuffing inspired by http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f14/pan-seared-pork-tenderloin-with-blue-cheese-stuffing-2109.html#post11532. I didn't have any blue cheese, so I used some quark and parmesan. I did make up a tapenade.

I made the sauce that ironchef lists, but left out the honey, because we aren't crazy about sweet with meat. It was yummy. I didn't bother seasoning with salt because the stuff I deglazed was plenty salty from the tapenade. I also didn't bother salting the meat before putting the fillings.

It was yummy. I'm not sure if the quark and/or the parmesan added anything. I will do some experimenting. I think blue cheese would be over the top. I'm not sure you would taste the meat.

Attachments

• IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 184
Very nice MsM and Taxlady.

I was out of wings, so made poutine and warmed up the leftover bone from my rib roast the other night.

We had a pork roulade with roast potatoes, salad with garlic dressing of doom, and rødkål. I made a stuffing inspired by http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...with-blue-cheese-stuffing-2109.html#post11532. I didn't have any blue cheese, so I used some quark and parmesan. I did make up a tapenade.

I made the sauce that ironchef lists, but left out the honey, because we aren't crazy about sweet with meat. It was yummy. I didn't bother seasoning with salt because the stuff I deglazed was plenty salty from the tapenade. I also didn't bother salting the meat before putting the fillings.

It was yummy. I'm not sure if the quark and/or the parmesan added anything. I will do some experimenting. I think blue cheese would be over the top. I'm not sure you would taste the meat.
Very nice Taxlady

I couldn't get into DC last night. Did anyone else have that trouble?

Hubby cooked me a wonderful birthday dinner, and we had a bottle of my favorite Chardonnay, Kendal Jackson, Santa Rosa, Ca.

He knows how much I love shell fish, so he made a starter of fresh crab cocktail in Martini glasses. The main course was a wonderful stir fry with shrimp and lobster, served over steamed Jasmine rice. I felt like a queen.
Thanks for the birthday wishes MsM.

Hubby cooked me a wonderful birthday dinner, and we had a bottle of my favorite Chardonnay, Kendal Jackson, Santa Rosa, Ca.

He knows how much I love shell fish, so he made a starter of fresh crab cocktail in Martini glasses. The main course was a wonderful stir fry with shrimp and lobster, served over steamed Jasmine rice. I felt like a queen.
Yes there was an outage last night. There is a thread about it.

I am glad you had a wonderful night Queen Kayelle!! LOL

Happy Belated Birthday, Kayelle! Glad you enjoyed your dinner!

Hey! How did I miss your birthday? Happy late one Kayelle! Glad you have a hubby who knows what a treasure he has.

Back
Top Bottom