Menu For Voluntary Self-Containment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 3

First off, I wanna say I just found out that what we're doing here with our Self Containment, all voluntary mind you, now has a NAME!?
Social Distancing :huh: oh-key-do-key then …

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

Breakfast

I had the forethought to make Cranberry Bran Muffins yesterday afternoon.
I served these with Butter and the last of my homemade
Meyer Lemon Curd
Then I supreme'd two Oranges
and we washed it all down with Peppermint Tea and Coffee
:yum:

IMG_5615.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

Lunch

I started to get a bit peckish, so I warmed up some
leftover Spam Fried Rice and did something I never do,
ate in front of my computer :ohmy:
DH didn't get hungry until much later in the afternoon,
so I suggested a PB&J on White Bread with a
glass of Ice Cold Milk, he didn't turn it down,
ya know, whiny 10 year old little boy and all :LOL:

IMG_5601.jpg

DSC01095.jpg

IMG_5618.jpg

Dinner

I started a pot of Homemade Marinara with Country Style Pork Ribs,
or what some may call Sunday Gravy.
I haven't made Sauce in forever!

I left the Sauce to simmer slowly all day yesterday,
in my new favorite Pot...
the house smelled so wonderful!

I let that cool and stashed it in the Icebox, pot and all, until this evening...
slow-cooked foods always taste better a day or so later, don't you think?

I scooped up just enough for our Sunday Pasta Supper
and put the rest in the Deep Freeze out in the garage.
We had some Trader Joe's Ciabatta and I found a
fabulous bottle of Sangiovese, squirreled away in my pantry,
to go with our meal.
DH doesn't drink alcohol, so it's all me! ;)

:pig:

I'm tellin' ya, we're going to gain some serious weight
here over the course of our Self Containment, I mean
Social Distancing :rolleyes:

Ya know Linda, I tried that too, from Walmart Grocery, but they cancelled my order at the very last minute! I was getting to head up to the store to pick up my order and I got an email that it had been cancelled and to call their 800# ---- the nice young gal on the end of the phone said that since our Governor had declared a state of emergency, Walmart choose to not fulfill any further online orders :huh:, that I was welcome to go into our local Walmart in person … no thank you very much! :devilish: that place is just too dang NUTS!!!

Well that's not good :(

One thing I will let this self-containment force me into doing is to make a current freezer inventory and devise a way of keeping up with it. (I think I had made up an old excel spreadsheet that I let go by the wayside). Organization!

One thing I will let this self-containment force me into doing is to make a current freezer inventory and devise a way of keeping up with it. (I think I had made up an old excel spreadsheet that I let go by the wayside). Organization!

I did an Excel spreadsheet for our freezer contents once. It took about two weeks for it to fail. Not everyone in the household kept up with marking off removed items. Maybe your luck will be better.

Good luck Linda! I tried again to place an online order … no dice!

Guys, here's my preferred method of keeping track of my deep freeze:

IMG_5619.jpg

I have two Dollar Store Dry Erase Boards,
works splendidly, for me anyways.
I keep them on the top of the chest freezer,
that way I'm reminded to add or delete as
the case maybe, to or from my manual spreadsheet :LOL:

First off, I wanna say I just found out that what we're doing here with our Self Containment, all voluntary mind you, now has a NAME!?
Social Distancing :huh: oh-key-do-key then …

View attachment 39741

View attachment 39742

View attachment 39743

Breakfast

I had the forethought to make Cranberry Bran Muffins yesterday afternoon.
I served these with Butter and the last of my homemade
Meyer Lemon Curd
Then I supreme'd two Oranges
and we washed it all down with Peppermint Tea and Coffee

View attachment 39744

View attachment 39745

Lunch

I started to get a bit peckish, so I warmed up some
leftover Spam Fried Rice and did something I never do,
ate in front of my computer :ohmy:
DH didn't get hungry until much later in the afternoon,
so I suggested a PB&J on White Bread with a
glass of Ice Cold Milk, he didn't turn it down,
ya know, whiny 10 year old little boy and all [emoji38]

View attachment 39746

View attachment 39747

View attachment 39748

Dinner

I started a pot of Homemade Marinara with Country Style Pork Ribs,
or what some may call Sunday Gravy.
I haven't made Sauce in forever!

I left the Sauce to simmer slowly all day yesterday,
in my new favorite Pot...
the house smelled so wonderful!

I let that cool and stashed it in the Icebox, pot and all, until this evening...
slow-cooked foods always taste better a day or so later, don't you think?

I scooped up just enough for our Sunday Pasta Supper
and put the rest in the Deep Freeze out in the garage.
We had some Trader Joe's Ciabatta and I found a
fabulous bottle of Sangiovese, squirreled away in my pantry,
to go with our meal.
DH doesn't drink alcohol, so it's all me! ;)

:pig:

I'm tellin' ya, we're going to gain some serious weight
here over the course of our Self Containment, I mean
Social Distancing :rolleyes:
There's social distancing - staying physically at a distance from others and not shaking hands, hugging, etc. There's self-isolation - voluntarily staying at home and away from others. Neither of these involve people who have symptoms. Then there's sell-quarantine - experiencing symptoms and voluntarily quarantining yourself in a room, if you live with other people, and limiting your exposure to anyone else.

If you experience severe symptoms, like difficulty breathing, call your doctor and go to the hospital. Your doctor can usually call the ER and they will prepare for your arrival so you can be separated from patients suffering from other injuries or illnesses.

Today's actions took me by surprise. Never even made a serious grocery stock up. Never the less, I'm not in bad shape I guess.

I have powdered eggs, milk, cheese, and potatoes. A few pounds of fresh cheeses, dried fruit, various legumes, grains, quasi-grain type seeds like buckwheat, and about five pounds of green coffee. Have several pounds of various frozen meats and vegetables in my apartment sized fridge/freezer. Got a new two-liter bottle of extra virgin olive oil and about three quarts of old peanut oil that is probably still usable.

So I can hole-up for a few weeks I reckon.

I've been to a few grocery stores where panicked people are grabbing up all the bottled water, toilet paper and napkins, bread is scarce unless the store has a bakery, one supermarket's meat department was totally decimated, and all that kept running through my mind, on a loop, is THE PARANOIDS ARE COMING! THE PARANOIDS ARE COMING!

One guy was complaining to one of the store employees. He was terribly upset because the store had no bottled water. I looked him right in the eye and told him "Across the street is a Target. Go buy a Brita pitcher!" The only bottled water I buy is San Pellegrino sparkling mineral water. I refuse to pay good money for water that just sits there!

Last edited:
Oh and I don’t show finished product but made mash potatoes yesterday as well as red skin potato salad.

IMG_4280.jpg

Red skin
IMG_4319.jpg
IMG_4283.jpg

Day 4

IMG_5517.jpg

Breakfast

I had a Dentist's Appointment that I
couldn't avoid.
I found some leftover Pecan Sour Cream
Coffee Cake ala Chef John in the deep freeze
and had put it out to de-frost overnight.
It was wonderful with some diced Cantaloupe
and Juice.

IMG_5487.jpg

Lunch

When I got back, straight back to the house mind you,
I made Ham & Cheese Pinwheels ala Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
:LOL:
They were very good and fast!

IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

Dinner

I had gone grocery shopping just before the madness started,
and got me a beautiful bunch of fresh Asparagus, gorgeous!
I made a Chicken & Asparagus Stir Fry
served over the ever present steamed White Rice,
comfort on a plate for us!!
I got three servings out of it; I'm thinkin'
I'm going to share with Ms. Neighbor-Across-The-Street,
she does really cook, so …

Today's actions took me by surprise. Never even made a serious grocery stock up. Never the less, I'm not in bad shape I guess.

I have powdered eggs, milk, cheese, and potatoes. A few pounds of fresh cheeses, dried fruit, various legumes, grains, quasi-grain type seeds like buckwheat, and about five pounds of green coffee. Have several pounds of various frozen meats and vegetables in my apartment sized fridge/freezer. Got a new two-liter bottle of extra virgin olive oil and about three quarts of old peanut oil that is probably still usable.

So I can hole-up for a few weeks I reckon.

RIGHT?!
I figure we could be oh-key-doh-key for about a month if need be.
That's if DH would stop opening the `fridge and saying, "Do we have enough?"
YES!!! :LOL:

I've been to a few grocery stores where panicked people are grabbing up all the bottled water, toilet paper and napkins, bread is scarce unless the store has a bakery, one supermarket's meat department was totally decimated, and all that kept running through my mind, on a loop, is THE PARANOIDS ARE COMING! THE PARANOIDS ARE COMING!

One guy was complaining to one of the store employees. He was terribly upset because the store had no bottled water. I looked him right in the eye and told him "Across the street is a Target. Go buy a Brita pitcher!" The only bottled water I buy is San Pellegrino sparkling mineral water. I refuse to pay good money for water that just sits there!

BAHAHA!
DH insisted the other day the we go and buy bottled water,
WHY?!
We have a Reverse Osmosis system and to me,
that tastes way better than bottled!
Paranoids, geez!! :LOL:

I realize I'm about to dig myself into a big hole here, so someone get ready to throw a life-line...

She: Would you like me to cook breakfast this morning?
He: Sure, what you making?
She: Fried eggs and fried spam, as she turned away towards the stove.
He: I didn't quite hear the last of your sentence.
She: while I cook your breakfast, please put some toast in the toaster...

Now, usually you can put me down in the No column when it comes to spam. Spam is one of her favorites, though she seldom makes it. I found out she bought a shrink wrapped box of 8 or 10 cans of Spam to put on the emergency shelf in the basement pantry. O my.

Well, I haven't eaten Spam in 20+ years. It was all-right to tolerable, almost pretty good. Better combined as a toast/egg/sandwich.

I think we will be having more spam, so I went looking for a recipe we/she might try--

Baked Pineapple Spam

1 can Spam, cubed
1/4 cup Aloha shoyu
Ginger, grated
1/4 cup Brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
fresh or canned pineapple, cubed

Combine ingredients and allow to soak for 1 hour in a baking pan, pour remaining marinade out, reserving about 2-3 tablespoons in pan. Pre-heat oven to 350 and bake for 30 minutes.

Serve over rice.

https://www.cookinghawaiianstyle.com/component/recipe/recipes/detail/2219/baked-pineapple-spam

Attachments

• spam and pineapple.png
    spam and pineapple.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I realize I'm about to dig myself into a big hole here, so someone get ready to throw a life-line...

She: Would you like me to cook breakfast this morning?
He: Sure, what you making?
She: Fried eggs and fried spam, as she turned away towards the stove.
He: I didn't quite hear the last of your sentence.
She: while I cook your breakfast, please put some toast in the toaster...

Now, usually you can put me down in the No column when it comes to spam. Spam is one of her favorites, though she seldom makes it. I found out she bought a shrink wrapped box of 8 or 10 cans of Spam to put on the emergency shelf in the basement pantry. O my.

Well, I haven't eaten Spam in 20+ years. It was all-right to tolerable, almost pretty good. Better combined as a toast/egg/sandwich.

I think we will be having more spam, so I went looking for a recipe we/she might try--

Baked Pineapple Spam

1 can Spam, cubed
1/4 cup Aloha shoyu
Ginger, grated
1/4 cup Brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
fresh or canned pineapple, cubed

Combine ingredients and allow to soak for 1 hour in a baking pan, pour remaining marinade out, reserving about 2-3 tablespoons in pan. Pre-heat oven to 350 and bake for 30 minutes.

Serve over rice.

https://www.cookinghawaiianstyle.com/component/recipe/recipes/detail/2219/baked-pineapple-spam

I LOVE Spam® but I'm not too sure about that recipe :LOL:
That blog is from Lanai Tabura, he and his brother won that Foodnetwork Food Truck Race, I think season 3?
Anywhos, ALOHA SHOYU!!!!! That's the bomb Soy Sauce!
Spam® has so many recipes out there, I could use up a case of the stuff in nothing flat!
Have you considered Musubi?
teri-spam-musubi.jpg
YUM!
I have a half-block in the icebox, I think we'll make for lunch tomorrow! :yum:

Taking a freezer inventory is a humbling experience ...

From now on, I WILL be better organized.
For sure! I did that last year - that was my New Year resolution, and I removed everything from my freezer, inventoried it, so everything is in the notebook, by which shelf it is on (or the door), and when I put anything new in, or remove anything, I put it in (or remove it from) the book. This continued into my pantry, where I inventoried everything, and have kept it that way for over a year now - the longest I have ever done that! It's amazing how much time I have saved, looking for all those things I get - I probably have already recovered all the time I spent, doing the organizing. Plus, I know what is left, when I think I'm getting low on something - not always happening!

Back
Top Bottom