Mick Jagger's Birthday Dinner - 7/26/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hit a new(to me) Asian market today and found things I have not found in other markets here..

Making chicken chow mein with pork/veggie Gyoza along side..

Made a chocolate pie for latter.... Oh boy! chow mein and pie... :wacko: :LOL:

Ross

Hit a new(to me) Asian market today and found things I have not found in other markets here..
Making chicken chow mein with pork/veggie Gyoza along side..
Made a chocolate pie for latter.... Oh boy! chow mein and pie... :wacko: :LOL:

Ross

Came out good..

Attachments

• Chow mein and gyoza.jpg
    Chow mein and gyoza.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 163
Shrimp, tasso and andouille jambalya with a side of collard greens.

Attachments

• 2018-07-26 18.04.32.jpg
    2018-07-26 18.04.32.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 200
Mark and I are “dining out” tonight. I’m ordering through UberEats and we’ll eat in the rehab center dining room. Haven’t decided what to order though. Mexican? Japanese? Chinese? Seafood (steamed clams and snow crab clusters)? I’d love to order some Indian, but Mark wouldn’t enjoy it, and it’d probably stink up the dining room (not to my mind, of course, but I will admit that the aromas from Indian food do tend to linger...

One thing I've always loved about The Stones is that when they were young they were pissing off the old people. and, now they are old, they are pissing off the young people..gotta hand it to them..

I stuffed chicken breasts with spinach, Calabrese salami, and pecorino..last nights left over rice..and the first cucumber from the garden

Attachments

• 37815068_10155524366027401_3662827231916326912_n.jpg
    37815068_10155524366027401_3662827231916326912_n.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 166
We finished off the pork tenderloin kebabs (with hoisin and five spice) from the other night with a cucumber and sour cream salad and crusty rolls.

I'd still pay good money to see the Stones in concert.

Dinner tonight is going to be a summer cold plate. Slices of old Kentucky hickory smoked ham, sliced tomatoes from the store, cukes from the garden, pickles, olives, beet pickles and anything else in a jar from the frig.

One thing I've always loved about The Stones is that when they were young they were pissing off the old people. and, now they are old, they are pissing off the young people..gotta hand it to them..

I stuffed chicken breasts with spinach, Calabrese salami, and pecorino..last nights left over rice..and the first cucumber from the garden

Roch, those breasts look and sound fantastic!! Although labor intensive, I bet they would be a big ticket seller in your meat case!

Happy 75th, Mick! Happy that Mick made it to this milestone birthday - may he have many more.

I had orzo salad for this afternoon's dinner. The recent macaroni salad thread has been on my mind for the past few days. :yum: I was up at dawn this morning and over coffee, I got to thinking I didn't have small shells or salad mac, but I had orzo and lots of veggies so I got to chopping. Dressed with a little bottled Italian dressing and let it sit in the fridge for the day. Delish, cool, and refreshing.

Attachments

• orzo salad.jpg
    orzo salad.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
cheesey zucchini bake, three bean salad, and a little mac and cheese.

The mac and cheese had a roux based sauce with some cream cheese I made but over cooked, some rat trap cheese (like a colby) and some gouda. It was rich and mild, really good.

There is sweet corn, and spaghetti with meat sauce standing by for the guys. The cherry nanaimo bars are quite good.

Happy 75th, Mick! Happy that Mick made it to this milestone birthday - may he have many more.

I had orzo salad for this afternoon's dinner. The recent macaroni salad thread has been on my mind for the past few days. :yum: I was up at dawn this morning and over coffee, I got to thinking I didn't have small shells or salad mac, but I had orzo and lots of veggies so I got to chopping. Dressed with a little bottled Italian dressing and let it sit in the fridge for the day. Delish, cool, and refreshing.

That look's yummy.

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste, I've been around for a long, long year, stole many a man's soul and faith.

I took some time off from stealing souls, and cooked a good supper tonight. I had some sausage and peppers in Brooklyn a few days ago, and it got me thinking. I par-cooked some hot Italian sausage, then cooled it in the fridge. I then used it to make some skewers with mushrooms, peppers and onions. Basically, classic Italian sausage and peppers on a skewer, on the grill.

I actually took a picture. Not a great picture, but hopefully you can taste the food in your imagination. It was good.

CD

Attachments

• SausagePerppers001.jpg
    SausagePerppers001.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Great looking dinners Ross and Med!

All the talk about shrimp, I'm inspired to test this Kenji recipe tonight. It should be fun. I'll serve it with a side of Jasmine rice, as I don't have any crusty bread as suggested. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes...rimp-garlic-sherry-smoked-paprika-recipe.html
Spinach salads should work well I think.

I'll try to remember pictures...

Once again, Kenji sure knows his stuff. I followed his recipe and instructions to the letter. This shrimp dish was just remarkable in every way. The pound of 16-20 shrimp were SousVide in the special sauce at 135 degrees for 30 minutes. I'm convinced the texture and slight "snap" of the tender juicy shrimps is thanks to the baking soda pre treatment.

Attachments

• P7260061[1].jpg
    P7260061[1].jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
It was so hot tonight, I decided to try the slow cooker mac and cheese thing again. Even if I didn't like it straight out of the crock pot last time, it tasted good after it had been frozen and heated up in the oven. So if I don't like it tonight, I'll freeze it again and have a tuna melt tonight instead.

One way or the other, I should finally be eating by 10:30.

75. God bless ya, Mick. It's amazing to think that of the "bad boy" Stones, only one original member (Brian Jones) is dead, yet the "good boy" Beatles have lost two (John Lennon and George Harrison). Life is funny that way.

Those are all some fine looking suppers, folks!

...I was up at dawn this morning...
If we shared a house, we'd pass each other in the hall - you getting up for the day, me hitting the sack for sleep. :wacko:

I have had a taste for broasted chicken for weeks. I almost sent Himself out to get some on Wednesday night, but there were serious storms in the area and I do love the guy. Today, on the way home from running errands, the voices kept chanting "chicken - chicken", so I pulled off the road, called in an order, and picked it up after a round-about way from where I was to the restaurant (I had to kill time). We had broasted chicken, jo-jo potatoes, and fresh corn off the cob mixed with butter and Tajin. LOTS of leftover chicken (because we always order 16 pieces for LOTS of leftovers!).

No pictures because the phone was acting wonky. My new one (Hello, Moto) showed up today. Himself and I will be playing with it tomorrow, and then I get to work on what I expect to be a loooong learning curve. :LOL:

Gorgeous... Love orzo salads..well...orzo anything.. :yum:
Ross

Back
Top Bottom