Midnight Munchies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I simply can not handle a whole meal. So I graze all the time. I keep rice cakes on hand. Sometime I put PB on them and pop it into the zapper oven. It melts the PB and it runs through the rice cake. Tastes like fresh roasted peanuts. I also keep a box of Cheerios on hand. I never eat them as cereal with milk in a bowl. They are one of my grazing snacks. Fresh fruit is another snack for me. Oranges, pears, plums, etc. I also like to eat a tomato with a salt shaker in the other hand. I do have to peel it first though. Same with the fresh fruit. Then about once a year, on one of my shopping forays, I buy the fixings for a salad. I know I can't eat that raw roughage. But I don't care. After 35+ years since the surgery, I still miss eating salad. So I fix me a big bowl, drench it in HV dressing. let it sit and soften the salad. Then I pig out. I know I am going to pay for it for about the next two or three days. But I don't care.

I also make a salad of canned veggies. Beets, wax beans, green beans, etc. I keep the cans in the fridge. I also like a bowl of steamed veggies with butter. YUM! I am a night person by nature. So most of my snacking is done after 4 p.m. :angel:

I simply can not handle a whole meal. So I graze all the time. I keep rice cakes on hand. Sometime I put PB on them and pop it into the zapper oven. It melts the PB and it runs through the rice cake. Tastes like fresh roasted peanuts. I also keep a box of Cheerios on hand. I never eat them as cereal with milk in a bowl. They are one of my grazing snacks. Fresh fruit is another snack for me. Oranges, pears, plums, etc. I also like to eat a tomato with a salt shaker in the other hand. I do have to peel it first though. Same with the fresh fruit. Then about once a year, on one of my shopping forays, I buy the fixings for a salad. I know I can't eat that raw roughage. But I don't care. After 35+ years since the surgery, I still miss eating salad. So I fix me a big bowl, drench it in HV dressing. let it sit and soften the salad. Then I pig out. I know I am going to pay for it for about the next two or three days. But I don't care.

I also make a salad of canned veggies. Beets, wax beans, green beans, etc. I keep the cans in the fridge. I also like a bowl of steamed veggies with butter. YUM! I am a night person by nature. So most of my snacking is done after 4 p.m. :angel:

I love rice cakes with hummus or cottage cheese and berry jam :yum:
Another favourite is canned creamstyle sweetcorn or peas with a tsp of mayo and pepper stirred in.

We don't get canned beets, only pickled beets in jars. Are the cans pickled too Addie?

I love rice cakes with hummus or cottage cheese and berry jam :yum:
Another favourite is canned creamstyle sweetcorn or peas with a tsp of mayo and pepper stirred in.

We don't get canned beets, only pickled beets in jars. Are the cans pickled too Addie?

No. We can get pickled ones though. We can get sliced, whole or diced beets in a can. And we can get small cans big enough for just one person. Or large cans, big enough to feed a family of four. Just plain. I keep all my canned veggies in the fridge so I can make a quick veggie salad. And I get the small cans. :angel:

No. We can get pickled ones though. We can get sliced, whole or diced beets in a can. And we can get small cans big enough for just one person. Or large cans, big enough to feed a family of four. Just plain. I keep all my canned veggies in the fridge so I can make a quick veggie salad. And I get the small cans. :angel:

Wish we had those here! I love beets but peeling them always stains my hands pink for days :LOL:
I like the pickled beets but sometimes I just want them plain :yum:

Wish we had those here! I love beets but peeling them always stains my hands pink for days :LOL:

Wear gloves. I have a whole box of them that Wintrhop gave me. I use them for everything. Including peeling beets. If you leave some of the root on, the skins just slide right off. You don't even need a knife. Sometimes I will buy the fresh ones, cook them up and then grab a whole one with the salt shaker and eat them just like that. :angel:

Wear gloves. I have a whole box of them that Wintrhop gave me. I use them for everything. Including peeling beets. If you leave some of the root on, the skins just slide right off. You don't even need a knife. Sometimes I will buy the fresh ones, cook them up and then grab a whole one with the salt shaker and eat them just like that. :angel:

I've tried but for some reason I can't cut or peel anything with gloves on. Can't feel what I'm doing and I end up cutting myself or things slip out of my hands :LOL:

I've tried but for some reason I can't cut or peel anything with gloves on. Can't feel what I'm doing and I end up cutting myself or things slip out of my hands :LOL:
Leave 1 inch of the top on and the tail when cooking them. I slip the skins under running water. Leaving top and tail on, and slipping the skin under water, reduces the amount of "bleeding." Or, if you can get golden beets, they taste about the same and don't bleed.

When I used to do a lot of dyeing of fiber, I hated wearing gloves (or I'd always forget and have to play in the pot/with the fiber without gloves on). I bleached my hands afterwards to get the dye off. It works re: beet-juice stains on the hands as well.

There was that time a {...} missionary came to the door. I had gloves on that were stained "red." (Actually, I was dyeing wool fuchsia, but I won't quibble about the color.)

"Hi, can I share the message of ... with you?" Missionary
Me: "Sorry, this is a bad time, I have something dyeing on the stove." (This with my arms held up as if I had just stood at a scrub sink and was about to go into surgery).

I don't think I've ever seen anyone turn tail and run down my driveway that fast. :LOL:

You can usually get the stains off your hands with vinegar.

As CWS wrote, leave 2 cm of the stem and the whole tail and boil them. Then put them in cold water and when you can handle them, slip the skins off. You don't lose any of the beet flesh that way. You keep the good antioxidants in the beets instead of getting them in the water and on your hands.

My issue with beets is that the ones at the store are so disreputable looking. The stems and tails are gone and there are cuts in the skin. Or, I can buy beets with the leaves on: four beets in a bunch for $2. :wacko: And most of those have cuts in the skin.

Last edited:
Leave 1 inch of the top on and the tail when cooking them. I slip the skins under running water. Leaving top and tail on, and slipping the skin under water, reduces the amount of "bleeding." Or, if you can get golden beets, they taste about the same and don't bleed.

When I used to do a lot of dyeing of fiber, I hated wearing gloves (or I'd always forget and have to play in the pot/with the fiber without gloves on). I bleached my hands afterwards to get the dye off. It works re: beet-juice stains on the hands as well.

There was that time a {...} missionary came to the door. I had gloves on that were stained "red." (Actually, I was dyeing wool fuchsia, but I won't quibble about the color.)

"Hi, can I share the message of ... with you?" Missionary
Me: "Sorry, this is a bad time, I have something dyeing on the stove." (This with my arms held up as if I had just stood at a scrub sink and was about to go into surgery).

I don't think I've ever seen anyone turn tail and run down my driveway that fast. :LOL:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My Dad always told me to tell strangers that knock on our door that my father is busy cleaning his 38. I was alone after school most of the time.
I did as I was told and one time the people at the door were Jehovah's Witnesses. When they asked where my parents were I told them my Daddy is cleaning his gun and when they asked if they could talk to him I said they better not "he'll shoot if you try anything"

They never came back to our house :LOL:

I'll try slipping the skins off, thank you :) We don't get golden beets.
My biggest problem is the psoriasis on my hands. The colour seeps into the dry cracks and patches.
I love beets so it's worth it!

My Dad always told me to tell strangers that knock on our door that my father is busy cleaning his 38. I was alone after school most of the time.
I did as I was told and one time the people at the door were Jehovah's Witnesses. When they asked where my parents were I told them my Daddy is cleaning his gun and when they asked if they could talk to him I said they better not "he'll shoot if you try anything"

They never came back to our house :LOL:

I'll try slipping the skins off, thank you :) We don't get golden beets.
My biggest problem is the psoriasis on my hands. The colour seeps into the dry cracks and patches.
I love beets so it's worth it!

My heart goes out to you. I have had psoriasis for 50 years. Can't tell you the number of times I have gone into remission. And I have no idea what makes me go into remission. but I do know what causes a flareup. Stress!

I have participated in three field trials. And two of those drugs made it to the market. I was ask to participate again when I was working at Wyeth Pharmaceutical. And I couldn't. It was a product being tested by Wyeth. And I was in charge of patients records in trials. Conflict of interest. :angel:

My heart goes out to you. I have had psoriasis for 50 years. Can't tell you the number of times I have gone into remission. And I have no idea what makes me go into remission. but I do know what causes a flareup. Stress!

I have participated in three field trials. And two of those drugs made it to the market. I was ask to participate again when I was working at Wyeth Pharmaceutical. And I couldn't. It was a product being tested by Wyeth. And I was in charge of patients records in trials. Conflict of interest. :angel:

Ditto Addie!
I have managed to be psoriasis free for short periods but it never goes away completely.
Yes I agree, stress causes flare ups but how to never stress?! :LOL:

Want them? They're cute when they're sleeping ;)

:ROFLMAO:No thanks. I will pass on that offer. I have the adoption papers already signed for mine. The oldest is 57 and the youngest 40. All are potty trained.

And I have outlived two husbands. I think I may be bad luck for husbands. :angel:

:ROFLMAO:No thanks. I will pass on that offer. I have the adoption papers already signed for mine. The oldest is 57 and the youngest 40. All are potty trained.

And I have outlived two husbands. I think I may be bad luck for husbands. :angel:

I haven't stayed with my husbands long enough to outlive them :LOL:

I got married in 1977 and am still married to the same wife. As for beets, I love them any way you cook them. as for the theme topic, I couldn't pin it down. Usually I go for something protein rich and slightly salty, such as any fo the following: Pepperoni, Salami, bolgna, most any kind of good cheese, liverwurst, a cold hot dog, slice of ham, peanut butter on whole grain toast, peanut butter on whole grain toast with fruit jam, glass of ice cold milk, a spoonful of leftover whatever, a handfull of frozen peas, a swig of Lee & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce, left over cold fish, leftover pizza.

Occasionally (I'm talking maybe 3 or 4 times a year), a bowl of cereal, a piece of fruit, ice cream, fruit pie, a slice of carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, pudding (butterscotch is my favorite).

But if there's lunch meat, or any of the epecially if there's any of the salami family, i.e. hard salami, cotto salami, soprasetta, pepperoni, etc., that's my first choice. 2nd to that is a good, strong firm cheese, such as cheddar of Swiss.

Oh, and chili is good any time of the day or night.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Had a hankering for something sweet/salty/crunchy last night. I nuked some semisweet chocolate chips, crunchy peanut butter, a couple tsps of coconut oil, added a bit of instant coffee powder and threw in some sliced almonds, lime peanuts, and sunflower seeds, then stirred in some multigrain Cheerios. Dropped spoonfuls onto parchment paper and refrigerated. They hit the spot! Sort of like the Chinese noodle nests.

Last edited:
I had a slice of toast with melted white cheddar and homemade sweet pickled peppadews :) Yum!!! Think this is my best batch of peppadews yet.

Darn it Chief, I want Salami now lol!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom