Mon June 26th- dinner plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH is getting one of his favorites, corned beef, onions,potatoes when done top with poached or fried eggs and toast. I'm going to finish a roof tile I'm painting and then start painting on a large terra cotta pot for the patio. After that, I'm sure some watermelon will hit the sopt.
kadesma:ohmy:

I have no earthly idea what I'm making for dinner. PeppA just called, and said she is staying until close, so she won't be home until after midnight. Today was supposed to be her day off. There goes my day.

Good ol leftovers for me...chipoltle marinate grilled flank, peppers and onion, a'la fajiata style. And a tall frosty mango margorita for an app, and quite possible one for dessert too.

Skilletlicker, I wish I were eating with you. You aren't my long lost brother, are you? He lives in Memphis, well, actually Cordova.

I've got chicken thighs thawing.. I'll toss them on the grill and either brush with sweet and sour sauce or bbq sauce.

We're having brats that Kim grilled along with the pork steaks Saturday night. They got basted with the same pineapple/soy based marinade/sauce that he used on the pork steaks, and are really tasty.

ever since i showed her how well they work, dw is now a fan of the broiler in our oven. before, everything was baked or cooked on the stove top, but now she sees how well a broiler sears and browns meats, keeping it moist.

soooo, last night she made marinated chicken thighs ("world harbors" brand fajita marinade ), a london broil, mashed potatoes, and boiled corn on the cob.
i must say that i'm an excellent teacher...:)

buckytom said:
ever since i showed her how well they work, dw is now a fan of the broiler in our oven. before, everything was baked or cooked on the stove top, but now she sees how well a broiler sears and browns meats, keeping it moist.

soooo, last night she made marinated chicken thighs ("world harbors" brand fajita marinade ), a london broil, mashed potatoes, and boiled corn on the cob.
i must say that i'm an excellent teacher...:)
I do not use the broiler much seems confusing to me. I guess a low
heat so the meat will get done inside. Give me some tips please.
The only time I use the broiler is to toast bread or brown something.

Well, due to the torrential storms & flooding that we in the Mid-Atlantic are currently experiencing, husband's commute took about 3 hours yesterday. Needless to say, it was another quick grilled sausage & salad dinner.

Last night's choice was Hans' All Natural Sun-Dried Tomato and Fresh Basil Chicken Sausages, which were surprisingly quite spicy-hot, but in a good way. Served on a bed of mixed greens dressed with some olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing & dusted with some grated parmesan cheese, it was a perfect light late-night summer meal.

rickell said:
I do not use the broiler much seems confusing to me. I guess a low
heat so the meat will get done inside. Give me some tips please.
The only time I use the broiler is to toast bread or brown something.

rickell, a broiler works on fairly high direct heat as the meat is exposed to the flames above. in fact, the trick is to figure out the distance of the flame to the meat so as to have it properly sear on the outside, then cook thru to your desired temp.

in other words, i almost always start out with the broiler tray in the middle or top slot in the broiler drawer, so the meat sears first. after a few minutes (it varies greatly depending on the type and thickness of the meat), i check it to make sure it's not burning but rather getting good color, then i flip the meat, and keep repeating this process every 3 to 5 miuntes after that. if it's getting burned too quickly, i'll pull the tray out and re-insert it one slot lower.

for marinated and bbq sauced meats, i usually start in the middle or bottom slot. marinades often have ingredients that burn quickly. by the time it's cooked thru, the outside will be black if it's too close to the flame. i put it in for 4 or 5 minutes, bone side down where applicable, then check it. if it's getting good golden brown color, i flip it, and give it another 4 or 5 minutes. then i repeat the flipping process every 3 minutes, often basting the meat with sauce or marinade, until the meat is done.

for plain pork or chicken, or with dry rubs that don't contain sugar, i use the middle slot. 7 or 8 minutes in the broiler, bone side down to start. check it, flip it, repeat every 5 minutes after that.

fish goes in the top slot on the broiler tray, and is usually topped with a little evoo or maybe a compound butter to aid in browning/crisping the surface. it is checked frequently, depending again on the thickness.
i give thicker fish filets and steaks, topped with butter/oil about 5 minutes before i check it. if it's burning, i'll move it down a slot. i flip the steaks, but usually just cook filets skin side down the whole time.

beef/steaks are started in the top slot for 3 or 4 minutes, flipped, 3 minutes more, then the tray is lowered to the middle slot until it is cooked to rare or medium rare. i shoot people who ask for well done beef. :)

over the years of cooking over a campfire, i got used to poking the meat with my finger to be able to tell when it's changing from rare to medium to well done, but most people prefer to use an instant read thermometer to be sure.

btw, it helps to line the broiler tray with aluminum foil to aid in clean up, and to help the food from sticking.

ok, well, i hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom