Monday, 1/9/2017, what's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flour

Cook
Lentil and vegetable curry here, lots, for both lunch and dinner.

Last edited:
Orecchiette with ground veal, white wine, capers, thyme, garlic, onion, rosemary, chicken broth, butter and parm sauce.

Spicy (really spicy!) oven-baked chicken nuggets. I got a bit heavy-handed with the cayenne...

And dipping sauces. Need to find something green.

My pea soup is simmering. I added some BtB ham base and hickory flavor Stubs liquid smoke, smoked ham steak, carrots, onion, potato and green split peas. It smells wonderful in here.

I heated up some of the leftover posole and made quesadillas tonight, with mozzarella, salami, salsa and Penzeys Pico & Salsa seasoning. So good. I love this stuff :wub:

Attachments

• 1484011115450.jpg
    1484011115450.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 119
Lentil and vegetable curry here, lots, for both lunch and dinner.

Recipe, please?

Disparate leftovers here at work tonight. Just a coupla bites of each (except the big salad) Mixed baby greens salad, garlic roasted spuds, sauteed broccoli rabe, Chinese boneless ribs, and rigatoni in cream sauce with peas and shallots.

Last edited:
I fired up the Weber this afternoon and grilled a rib eye. Small salad and garlic toast for sides. I could only finish half of the steak, looks like tomorrow morning will be steak and eggs. :yum:

Chile Rellenos casserole (poblanos). Red rice a little spiced up, red beans plain.

Headed to our favorite Cajun restaurant in...Cleveland? Well, the chef is from New Orleans, and the food is authentic and delicious. :yum: Of the five of us (Goober met up with an old classmate), three had Po'boys (mine was shrimp), a Cajun mix (fish and something that came out of a shell), Himself had the Jambalaya. We passed a bowl of gumbo, and each had a beer. The end of the night was sharing three desserts that were on the house. We might get to this place only every six months, but the owner and I met the first night and have kept in touch. A glowing Yelp review doesn't hurt, either. ;)

I had a chicken Caesar (locally made vegan dressing mix)

TB had pork chops, baked potato, mushroom onion gravy and raw veggies.

buckytom, you wanted the recipe.
I had about a cup of chopped broccoli stems, and a cup of cauliflower heads in the freezer, thawed them and kinda squished extra water out- sauteed that in small amount of oil, added 1 1/2 red bell pepper that was diced, 2 small tomatoes that were diced, added about a teaspoon of cumin, two teaspoon of a curry mix someone gave me, 1/4 tsp chipotle powder, sprinkle of salt, 1/2 tsp powdered ginger. After it had all cooked together about 7 minutes, I added half cup hot water until it boiled, then added about a cup of red lentils, then added another 2 cups of water, brought back to a boil, then covered, dropped to simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils were softened. Served it with a little jasmine rice.

Last edited:
I planned on leftover scalloped potatoes with chicken and veggies from Sunday, but Dad ate his share for lunch while I was dealing with Estate matters. WHAT??? That was supper!!! Now what? Okay, so I grabbed a salmon filet out of the freezer (too bad you had that last week, Dad--I try to rotate proteins once every 7 days), quick thawed it and marinated it with maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and some herbs, put that under the broiler with butter and the marinade, steamed broccoli and squash. Not bad for a "what! you ate what I planned for supper!" reaction. I know I can cook on the fly, but I really hate it when I have something planned and Dad eats what I had planned for supper and I've been running around half the day. Grrrr...

I've done wings in the oven, but nothing beats them on the grill.

My SousChef knows that too, so weenie that I am, the smart man I married makes a nest for me to grill them complete with a heater, my reader, a glass of wine, and good old music by dead people. It makes me happy, and keeps us well fed.

Everything I learned about grilled wings was from Pac, and I miss him like crazy.
I cut the tips off the whole wings (save the tips) and cut through the skin web of the two joints, then marinate the wings in a Baggie for several hours. I only have a gas grill, and I use a disposable pan to simmer the wings on the grill in the marinade for about 20 min. Then I cook the wings on the open grill till charred and nearly done, returning them to the reduced marinade in the disposable grill pan to finish.
Thanks to Pac, I've been grilling perfect wings every time for years.

Last edited:
I miss Pac, too, Kayelle. It was so much fun following his football meals each season. SO much better than paying attention to the team we both followed. ?

Oops, and to go with that I made a flat bread out of some sourghum flour left to me by landlord. It was a cup of the flour, 1/4 tsp or so of salt, couple tsp oil, add hot water just to combine, not to make sticky. Made 6 smallish balls, pressed in palm, cooked in just enough oil to coat pan, about 2 minutes on each side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom