Monday Night Special 6/5: Veal Delmonico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you eat veal?

• Total voters

ironchef

Executive Chef
The cut of steak known as the "Delmonico" can refer to different things. Most people know it today as the New York Strip or Kansas City Strip although originally it was a different cut of steak altogether. Anyway, just a bit of history. Not that it really matters.

Anyway, this dish is French, through and through:

Grilled Steak "Delmonico" of Organic Milk-Fed Veal
Pencil Asparagus, Braised Baby Lettuces, Chateau Saffron Potato, Sauteed Wild Mushrooms, Sauce Demi-Glace de Veau au Champignons

$40.00

Attachments

• vealstriploin1.jpg
    vealstriploin1.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 291
Waiter, I'll have the Grilled Steak "Delmonico" of Organic Milk-Fed Veal

My compliments to the iron chef!

I'm sure there are a lot of people who think less of me for it, but I've even seen the calves being fatted, and still love veal. We live in dairy country, and around here the calves are on a leash and have a little dog house (appropriate to their size). I've known people who claim to love their dogs and their dogs don't have it that well. I like veal, and that looked delicious. But then, I'm an unapologetic omnivore.

Can I get a discount on the price if I say I know the chef? Even if the answer is no I will still order it :)

Almost 50 views and only 6 votes? C'mon, you guys on here MUST have an opinion on whether or not you eat veal.

I would probably comp. the meal if you guys came to eat and I was working but don't forget to make reservations since it fills up pretty quick.

My DH and I both were brought up with veal, I actually prefer it to aged beef. I've no problem with it. The veal here are small pen and house raised, and well tended. WE'd love to try IC's lovely steak Delmonico.

kadesma:)

I LIKE it. I veally, veally do. The dish looks delish, IC. My faves are scaloppine and Marsala. Years ago, used to have the dish at an Italian restaurant (near the studios), called Barones. It was pretty good, as I recall. A side 'o pasta and some wine -- Heaven!

Here's a sample menu. Don't see the veal listed, but this is another location:

http://www.themenupage.com/baronesmenu.html

This one caught my eye too. Veal Tenderloin in Fillo, cheese souffle with Madeira Sauce:

http://www.athens.com/recipes/recipecategory.aspx?recipe_id=138

Last edited:
ok, i voted.

no problem here eating veal.

while they might be cute, they're too tasty to get all sentimental about it.

ya know, dominion over animals, and all that.

I couldn't vote IC... there wasn't the option which I would fit in...

"I eat it but I try hard not to think about what I am doing"

I know I can be hypocritic... calfs are so cute and so are the piglets... however I can handle eating them (if I don't think about it, and the meat is perfectly filleted and there is no obvious, visible suggestion of its former life) because I have been eating them since I was very little and accustomed to the idea of them being food as well.

On the other hand, rabbits, deer, lamb, horse etc. which were later introduced to me as food after I have grown my conscience against unnecessarily butchering and eating beautiful animals, I just can't bring myself to eat it, even I am sure they taste good to many people. I know I am inconsistent in my "ethics" so I would never try to preach other people, I just settle for having it be one of my whims....

I NEVER eat veal - haven't eaten it since I was about 15 and watched a documentary on how the meat was raised in certain European countries, milk-fed, crated... BLECH...

But, I do sometime cook 'veal' dishes, and substitute thinly cut pork escalopes for the veal, for instance in Wiener Schnitzel style dishes.:)

And, I would never presume to tell others what they can and can't eat - even when they choose to eat Mcdonalds hamburgers, for instance

Back
Top Bottom