Monday's Dinner - 7/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Heat's On : Stove's Off !!

Deconstructed Italian Hoagie Salad
Dressing is a Russian, but with
Chopped Jalapeno's instead of Pickle....

Salad, hoagie 7-18-22.jpg

I foofed around in the kitchen. I didn't have the spoons to make a whole meal. We ordered hamburgers. I did eventually get some stuff done for future suppers.

I made a one pot meal of Italian sausage, beans, pasta, and greens. Topped with Parmigiana Reggiano. Refreshed the baguette from the other day. Quick and easy.

IMG_20220718_200443434_HDR.jpg

Farro sweet potato kale stew, leaf lettuce salad w/mustard dressing, strawberry nice-cream with cherry puree.

I haven't cooked anything here for a few days, except boiling water for iced tea, and steamed a couple of veggies in the MW. It's just been too hot!

Today I had a couple more bowls of that gazpacho, for lunch, then in the late afternoon, and then I made a salad later on, with some cooked barley, some diced tomatoes and cucumbers, a very small clove of garlic, mashed, and minced with a generous amount of basil and a jalapeño pepper, some diced feta cheese, and some snipped garlic chives. The dressing was some white rice vinegar and a fairly strong EVOO, salt, and a generous amount of black pepper.

I found the frozen (!) barley when I was putting some things in the freezer a couple of days ago, and it was about 2 c, left from a bunch I had cooked a couple of months ago, and it froze well - just thawed it, rinsed it well, and drained. I halved the cucumber, scooped out the seeds, and diced it - ended up being about half the volume of the tomatoes, that I kept adding, until it looked right! I used a large Amish Gold Slicer, which is a fairly fleshy tomato, and a smaller Brandyboy F2, a fairly fleshy one, too, and the best tasting! I diced up 4 green grapes, adding them one at a time, until it looked about right. Then I stirred in the other ingredients. Absolutely delicious, and 2 bowls left for tomorrow!

The feta was a new (to me) variety I got from Aldi, and it was good, but mild - I'll post my thoughts on that elsewhere.
Amish Gold Slicers, to dice up for salad. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Barley, tomato, cucumber, and feta salad. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom